ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priest (2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Priest (2011) Reply with quote

Okay, here's what happened.

I was watching a Netflix DVD (don't remember what), and there was a trailer for this movie. It looked action packed, FX rich, and kinda fun.

And I really like Paul Bettany. What other actor can boast that he did the voice of Iron Man's computer assistant (Jarvis), the A.I. good guy in Avengers: Age of Ultron (Vision), and Geoffrey Chaucer walking down a road stark naked in ancient England (A Knight's Tale).

So, I got the movie from Netflix, watched it, and enjoyed it. Not a masterpiece, but pretty good if you read the negative reviews first and prepare your expectations a bit.

Only this movie would take Karl "Bones" Urban and make him a gleeful, maniacal, totally evil vampire named "Black Hat" who loads up a high-speed train with a few hundred blood-thirsty vampire ghouls and sends it racing across the desert at eighty miles an hour towards a city filled with doomed, terrified humans.

And yes — Paul and Karl have a long fight atop the speeding train, with lots of wild leaps and martial arts maneuvers. I swear, it all looks totally believable. (Oops, there goes my credibility . . . Embarassed)

Give this one a shot.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that nobody has watched this one yet and come up with something interesting to say about it.

What are you waiting for, folks? A sign from God? Cool

Well, then consider this your "burning bush". Watch the trailer, get the movie, watch it, form opinions, and then write a post. Hey, that's just what we do around here. Very Happy

_________________________ Priest - trailer

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB only has nine trivia items for this movie, but I found a few that were interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The animated opening was more of a compromise solution because the studios had no interest in going over budget for a live-action version of the century-long battle of humans against vampires, so the scene was done by animation which was much cheaper to realize.

Note from me: The animation is excellent, and the sequence sets up the movie's backstory perfectly.
Very Happy

___________________ Priest Animated Intro

~ Stephen Moyer did this film between seasons of playing a vampire in True Blood (2008).

Note from me: It's good for an actor to have plenty of work, but wouldn't this cause Stephen's résumé to be a little sparse? "Roles I've played: Vampires. Frequently."

~ This is Paul Bettany's fourth time playing a religious character. He played a monk in The Da Vinci Code (2006), the Archangel Michael in Legion (2010), a priest in The Reckoning (2002), and a priest in this movie.

Note from me: See above comment. Poor Paul. "Roles I've played: Religious guys. Frequently. And a god-like A.I. superhero, which is sort of the same thing."

~ Cam Gigandet played James, a vampire, in Twilight (2008).

Note from me: Things are a little better for Mr. Gigandet. "Roles I've played: Vampires. But only twice."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: