ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rocketship X-M (1950)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rate "Rocketship X-M (1950)"
Ten
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nine
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Eight
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Seven
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Six
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Five
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Four
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Three
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Two
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
One
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

DrMoreau
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Rocketship X-M (1950) Reply with quote

Rocketship X-M (1950)

Original Release Date: June 2, 1950

Cast: Lloyd Bridges, Osa Massen, John Emery, Noah Beery Jr., Hugh O'Brian

Writer(s): Kurt Neumann, Orville H. Hampton, and Dalton Trumbo

Director: Kurt Neumann

Astronauts intended for the moon make a miscalculation and end up on Mar . . . which has been devastated by the Martian Nuclear War.
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A creative piece of photo alteration. I didn't do this one, I just found it on line. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Jimbo Berkey's review of Rocketship X-M from his website, Free Classic Movies, along with the link to watch it or download it!

If you were a young boy in 1950, and school was out for the summer, your new favorite movie was "Rocket Ship X-M" - Expedition Moon. Space travel was only a dream of science fiction authors, and movie serial adventures of Buck Rogers showed primitive views of outer space. By 1950 the special effects are much better, if the science is still primitive by today's standards.

__

Our heroes are on the first rocket ship to the moon, but something goes terribly wrong and they are catapulted into deep space. But they soon realize that they are in a perfect trajectory to hit the planet Mars. And once landed there, they discover that there is an oxygen atmosphere so they do not need any special equipment to walk on the surface!

__

Of course, they will never get back to earth now . . . or will they? And what about that Martian girl they encountered?

Adventure and suspense enough to keep anyone glued to their seat for an hour and seventeen minutes.

__

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this one . . . I became a young teen again, full of wonder and excitement at the exploration of unseen worlds. Yeah, I know it was all crap, but it was a fun watch, all the same . . . as you leave the world you are in and join this brave new world from 1950.

____Jimbo Berkey

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube has a poor quality version of this movie that contains the Wade Williams scenes he made to replace certain parts of the original film. The DVD of this movie does NOT have most of those scenes. They were later taken back out for some odd reason.

This was what the film originally gave us for the scenes of the rocket on the Martian surface —

— and this is what Wade filmed to replace it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 6 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link brings up the original movie, Bud. Here's the version with Wade Williams' replacement miniature shots you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763Bp8o4e4E

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As my post above mentions, the picture isn't very good on that version, and Mars isn't tinted red, it's just sort of brown. My post above also says that the additions made by Wade Williams were later removed and they aren't on the DVD, so I guess the "original" is now the "current" one again.

Kinda weird, ain't it? Confused

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, damn, both of our Youtube links for this movie no longer work because the videos have been removed. DailyMotion has it, but it starts after the title work, and the aspect ratio is wrong (it's squeezed horizontally). Sad

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pegasus models is doing a kit of the X-M, but judging from the box art, the model will have no booster stage.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Your link brings up the original movie, Bud. Here's the version with Wade Williams' replacement miniature shots you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763Bp8o4e4E

The Wade Williams version is gone now, so I replaced my link with a working version of the original.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be some serious copyright activism at work here surrounding the Wade Williams version.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: What the second mission to Mars (which was mentioned at the end of the movie) be intended to do?

~ My Theory: Having discovered survivors of a Martian civilization — along with ruins of that civilization — the second mission would be sent to set up a base from which a large number of archiologist and other scientist would spend years studying the Martian artifacts and the survivors.

(I just tossed this out to encourage a discussion. I hope I get one.) Confused

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expedition will also need to have a sizeable complement of Marines. I don't like to judge (Okay, I do), but the Martians appear to be a tad testy. They will also need to be able to build a secure area for safety. Perhaps a modern version of an old west fort, or a very large bunker with numerous machine gun emplacements and mortars.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I don't like to judge (Okay, I do), but the Martians appear to be a tad testy. Perhaps a modern version of an old west fort, or a very large bunker with numerous machine gun emplacements and mortars

Ah yes, I understand your concern.

But of course we must NOT make the horrible mistake which our inherently racist nation made with the Native Americans! Sad

If we send a team of scientist to Mars who are perfectly comfortable bringing along well-armed soldiers to protect their precious butts from the "testy" aborigines who object to having their own land invaded, then I submit that those selfish eggheads shouldn't be there in the first place! Shocked

No sir, the expedition's Prime Directive would be to establish a base which is well protected from the Martians. And yet the scientist would also take an oath to die rather than sacrifice the lives of the indigenous population!

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
No sir, the expedition's Prime Directive would be to establish a base which is well protected from the Martians. And yet the scientist would also take an oath to die rather than sacrifice the lives of the indigenous population!

Ah! The Doctor Carrington philosophy. That's one way to rapidly thing out the expedition. It will certainly guarantee plenty of extra vittles for the survivors...If any.

But as for me...Well, not being suicidal, you won't be seeing the likes of me on that expedition, that I can assure you! Laughing

Also, killing someone who is trying to murder you, isn't "sacrificing" them. Wink

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Also, killing someone who is trying to murder you, isn't "sacrificing" them.

David, that almost sounds like you're saying that if a burglar breaks into my home and I threaten him with a gun . . . he can kill me and not go to jail!

However, I'm sure we agree that the indigenous people on Mars should have the right to defend their land from invaders — like the Earth people.

The Earth expedition would be committing the same moral injustice as the settlers and the U.S. government who took over the lands occupied by Native Americans. When the Native Americans tried to fight back, they were killed or forcibly removed from the areas the settlers wanted to take possession of!

President Andrew Jackson defied the U.S. Supreme Court when it ruled in favor of the Cherokee nation in 1838, and Jackson forced the Cherokee to give up their lands east of the Mississippi River. They were forcibly marched thousands of mile to an area in present-day Oklahoma.

The event is called the Trail of Tears because so many men, women, and children died during the cold winter. It was part of Andrew Jackson's Indian removal policy — and it was very, very wrong. Sad

Going to Mars to study the lost Martian civilization should not be done if it means the expedition members are willing to kill the Martians just because they object to our presence on THEIR planet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: