ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Invisible Man (1933)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rate "The Invisible Man (1933)"
Ten
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Nine
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Eight
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Seven
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Six
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Five
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Four
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Three
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Two
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
One
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

DrMoreau
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: The Invisible Man (1933) Reply with quote

The Invisible Man (1933)

Original Release Date: November 13, 1933
Cast: Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart and Una O'Connor
Writer(s): R.C. Sherriff, Preston Sturges and Philip Wylie {Based on the works of H. G. Wells}
Director: James Whale

Dr. Jack Griffin, scientist, has just made an amazing breakthrough in the world's scientific annals.

He has invented the serum to turn matter invisible.

What he hadn't considered was a way to make matter visible again.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great classic film.

Interesting that of all the classic characters they seem to bring back the Frankenstein Monster, Count Dracula, the Wolf Man,the Mummy, Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde on a fairly regular basis to film.

The Invisible Man not so much.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread starter DrMoreau!

They actually sort of did bring him back with Hollow Man and Memoirs of an Invisible Man, plus there was the sequel and several "invisible man/woman" movies in the 1940s. I can't list them off the top of my head, but I'm sure somebody else will.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and a TV series. (But that's a different thread.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the short-lived TV series. I've watched it. Pretty good. (Also for a different thread).

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm; edited 5 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And the short-lived TV series. I've watched it. Pretty good. (Also for a different thread).

There have been THREE Invisible Man television shows: the 1958-59 British series, the 1975 series with David McCallum, and the Sci-Fi channel series that ran from 2000-2002. I never even heard of that last one; must have missed it somehow.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Invisible Man TV show that aired on the SciFi Channel from 2000-'02 had 46 episodes & was a great show.

Darien Fawkes, a top thief, has the Quicksilver Gland implanted into him that sheathes him in a coating making him invisible. He works for the Agency, a secret government group.

It had a wry & offbeat sense of humor to it with a wonderful cast. Definitely worth checking out.

The Gemini Man ran on NBC for 13-episodes, including the 2-hour pilot.

The hero was caught in an underwater explosion that rendered him invisible. With the aid of a special watch called the DNA Stabilizer he could become invisible for 15-minutes at a time. Any longer & he'd die. Intersect was the agency he worked for.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlight the text below.

This is an invisible post. You must wear special glasses to read it. They're called "reading glasses". However, some people don't need reading glasses, and they can just highlight the text to read it.

Clearly, this is a rather transparent joke. I'm sure most of you saw right through the ruse and . . . oh hell, forget it!____
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
The Invisible Man TV show that aired on the SciFi Channel from 2000-'02 had 46 episodes & was a great show.

Hey, when I read your post again today I remembered that I'd never finished the DVD-Rs that Randy Everett sent me of the series!

Thanks, Pow! Very Happy

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: It alters you, changes you. Reply with quote

There's a snow storm blowing ferociously, a man trundles towards a signpost that reads Iping. He enters a hostelry called The Lions Head, the patrons of the bar fall silent for the man is bound in bandages. He tells, not asks, the landlady; "I want a room with a fire". This man is Dr. Jack Griffin, soon to wreak havoc and be known as The Invisible Man.

One of the leading lights of the Universal Monster collection of films that terrified and enthralled audiences back in the day. Directed by genre master James Whale, The Invisible Man is a slick fusion of dark humour, berserker science and genuine evil. Quite a feat for a film released in 1933, even more so when one samples the effects used in the piece. Effects that are still today holding up so well they put to shame some of the toy like expensive tricks used by the modern wave of film makers. John P. Fulton take a bow sir.

After Boris Karloff had turned down the chance to play the good doctor gone crazy, on account of the role calling for voice work throughout the film only, except a snippet at the finale, so Whale turned to Claude Rains. Small in stature but silky in voice, Rains clearly sensed an opportunity to launch himself into Hollywood. It may well be, with Whale's expert guidance of course, that he owes his whole career to that 30 second appearance of his face at the end of the film? As was his want, Whale filled out the support cast with odd ball eccentrics that are acted adroitly by the British & Irish thespians. Una O'Connor, Forrester Harvey, Edward E. Clive and Henry Travers are memorable. While American Gloria Stuart as the power insane Griffin's love interest is radiant with what little she has to do.

Based on the now famous story written by H.G. Wells, Whale and R. C. Sheriff's (writer) version remains the definitive Invisible Man adaptation. There's some changes such as the time it is set, and Griffin is not the lunatic he is in the film, which is something that Wells was not too pleased about in spite of liking the film as a whole, but it's still very tight to the source. Sequels, TV series and other modern day adaptations would follow it, but none are as shrewd or as chilling as Whale's daddy is. 9/10

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
This is an invisible post. You must wear special glasses to read it. They're called "reading glasses". However, some people don't need reading glasses, and they can just highlight the text to read it.

Clearly, this is a rather transparent joke. I'm sure most of you saw right through the ruse and . . . oh hell, forget it!____
Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wonderful 38-minute documentary includes an interview with Claude Rains' daughter, who describes the time when she was ten years old and her father took her to a small local theater in her Pennsylvania home town to see his new movie . . . on an evening when it was snowing . . . and with Claude's head wrapped in a scarf, with a hat on as well.

He was deliberately mimicking the opening scene for his daughter, and to try to remain incognito. You'll love the rest of her story, too!

The Making Of the Movie 'The Invisible Man' (1933)

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know...I never saw THE Invisible MAN!

Oh....you mean the movie....Sorry...Never mind.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

The late Randy Everett sent me DVD-Rs of the series, which I've greatly enjoyed.

And today I found this happy surprise on YouTube, the full movie of a version of The Invisible Man made in 2017. It looks very interesting!

______________ The Invisible Man (full movie)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few of the 11 IMDB trivia items, including two charming stories about Claude Rains and his daughter. You'll love it!

On the DVD short documentary, Claude Rains' daughter tells of a time when the two went to see this movie in the theater years after it was made. It was bitterly cold and his face was completely covered by a hat and scarf. When he spoke to ask for the tickets, the attendant immediately recognized his voice and wanted to let them in for free. Rains was quite upset at this and demanded that he pay full price.

Note from me: What a wonderful story! Rains did indeed have a very distinctive voice.

The first time Claude Rains' daughter ever saw her father in a movie was in 1950, when he took her to a showing of 'The Invisible Man' in a small Pennsylvanian theater. While the film was playing, Rains was telling his daughter all about how it was made. The other theater patrons stopped watching the movie and instead listened to Rains tell how it was made.

Note from me: This makes a remarkable mental image! Mr. Rains and his daughter surrounded by adoring film fans in the darkened theater as they listening a running commentary about the movie — from the star himself! Very Happy

Dr. Jack Griffin (Claude Rains) is one of the most bloodthirsty villains of the old Universal horror films, with a total of four murders depicted directly on-screen, the murders of eighteen search-party members off-screen, and the derailment of a train which results in one hundred deaths. In total, Dr. Griffin kills 122 people before he is killed.

Note from me: I never realized the body count was so high in this movie! It certainly gives me a new appreciation for just how crazy poor Dr. Griffin was. And the next time I watch The Invisible Man Returns it while heighten my sympathy for the Vincent Price character! Shocked

Boris Karloff had been Universal's original choice for the role of the Invisible Man. He turned it down because he would not be seen on screen until the end. Director James Whale wanted someone with more of an "intellectual" voice than Karloff. He selected Claude Rains after accidentally hearing Rains' screen test being played in another room - until this film, Rains had primarily been a stage actor. Although he had appeared in one silent movie (Build Thy House (1920)), this was his first sound film

Note from me: The casting of Rains in the role was perfect. He managed not only to deliver his lines with the maniacal glee and homicidal rage the role needed, he also performed the frantic movements that defined his character.

______________________ Clip 1: The arrival

_______________________ Clip 2: Mystery

_____________ Clip 3: On being asked to leave

_________________________ Clip 4: Escaping

______________________ Clip 5: Blackmail

_________________ Clip 6: Man becoming God

__________________________ Clip 7: Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: