ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Circuit (1986) and the sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freely admit that if I hadn't enjoyed this one with my two adorable kids (ages 6 and 3) I might not have acquired such fond feelings for it. But once you love somethin', unlovin' it is just too damn much work, so I still like Short Circuit.

The sequel isn't nearly as good, but I bought it anyway. Rolling Eyes

Today watched this movie after enjoyng Real Steal — a dynamic film which dazzles the audience with dramatic situations that involves admirable characters, and which combines CGI and practical FX . . . seamlessly!

However, Short Circuit excels by offering actual robots designed by Syd Mead, which are manipulated by remote control. And even tough the story is humorous, the technology used to present it is deadly serious! Shocked

Knowing that we're watching an actual robot — not a man in a suit or a stop motion miniature — gives this movie an element of realism which no previous sci-fi movie has as offered! Very Happy

Add to this the fact that the robot, who calls himself Number Five, is the undisputed main character of the story.

At the very start of the movie, the audience is rooting for the survival of this wackadoodle, totally likable, childlike artificial life form the moment he becomes sentient.

And when he wins the heart of the adorable Ally Sheedy. we can't help envying him — especially in the scene when Number Five shares a romantic dance with the lovely young girl!

If you're a straight guy and you aren't turned on by that scene . . . well, we obviously have different tastes in that area.

_ Johnny Five with Stephenie - More than a Woman

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an interview with the writer when the movie came out. He didn't really care for the movie. He wrote it as a more serious piece, and he really didn't like how they made the head of security into a buffoon. He wrote the character as worried, caring man, that was frantically searching for the robot because there was an escaped death machine on the loose that he wanted to stop before it killed someone. He saw the character as a hero.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, Krel, some of the characters in this movie were either miscast or not played as well as they should have been.

I agree with the writer's opinion of Security Chief Skroeder (G.W. Bailey), who is presented as a stereotypical military loudmouth bonehead. Maybe if he'd been funnier (somehow) he could have added more to the movie, but just strutting around barking orders while he shows us how much smart Number 5 is than him was not what the movie needed.

Austin Pendleton isn't very convincing as the head of a large company that created those amazing robots. He was sort of funny and likable, but certainly none too bright.

Even less convincing is Steve Guttenberg as an engineering genius who's been secluded in a lab most of his life and has no social skills.

Ally Sheedy and Fisher Stevens were just fine, however, both providing funny moments that worked well with Number 5. I even like Fisher's goofy dialog. Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my DVD of Short Circuit 2 today and was reminded that the miniature "toy" versions of Johnny Five are almost as amazing as the full sided version!

The opening scene follows one of the little guys as he wanders through a crowded department store, and we get to see close-ups of the details, as well as examples of how articulate and maneuverable he is! Very Happy

Here's a photo of one surviving prop which is now own by the grown-own fan who loved the movie as a child. He obtained it from a member of the film crew who loaned it to him and was grateful when the man restored it out of love for the prop.

The video below offers info about the props used in the movie. I wonder if the designer, Syd Mead, had a replica made of his design, or if he acquired any of the five full-sized versions used in the original movie.

___ "Short Circuit 2" | Screen-used Toy Robot Prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: