ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Thing from Another World (1951)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: The Thing from Another World (1951) Reply with quote

This post comes with a music soundtrack -- an All Sci-Fi exclusive Special Feature!

Click on this link and let YouTube play the original motion picture soundtrack of The Thing from Another World while you read this post.

Enjoy!
Very Happy

Remember the first time you saw The Thing from Another World?

My first time was in 1961 on an Atlanta late show, with Mr. George Ellis as the host of The Big Movie Shocker — a character called (get this — ) Bestoink Dooley.

I was a member of his fan club — with a button and everything.

Bestoink was the perfect master of ceremonies for The Thing from Another World, which was laced with both humor and horror, dancing the audience back and forth with it's fancy cinematic footwork. And the dialog is so tight and perfectly performed, it's almost like song lyrics, complete with some lines being delivered by three actors at once — like a chorus.

Hey, there's an idea! A musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber called . . . Carrots!

Naw, on second thought, it's been done already . . . sort of.

Anyway, The Thing from Another World delivers a helluva show. That scene at the landing site is spectacular, and I've always had trouble accepting that it wasn't really filmed outdoors. The sky and background just do not look like painted backdrops. I've searched high and low for a behind-the-scenes photo which shows the cyclorama and the set, but I've never found one.

And then there's big Jim as that scary alien. We sit on the edge of our seats, waiting for a really good look at him through the whole movie . . . and never get it . . . even when they light him on fire!

That was a brilliant touch on the part of the filmmakers. Almost seeing something really good is sometimes better than seeing it well, because you never get tired of it that way.

The characters are another big plus, of course. We like 'em so much we hate the idea that somebody might get their blood sucked out and fed to the alien's kids who are growing up so tall and strong in the greenhouse — not to mention the ones being nurtured in Dr. Carringtion's Dandy Day Care Center.

Which brings up an interesting point: where did the alien actually plan to land the ship? A vegetable creature wouldn't choose the North Pole as the best place to land, and the movie makes it clear that it crashed, so we know something went wrong with the ship.

Imagine what would have happened if the ship had made a nice three-point landing in the corner of some Kansas farmer's corn field and set up a nursery in the barn after recruiting the farmer's family as a food source — along with all the cows and pigs and chickens.

Somebody should use this idea in a "reboot" of this movie!

The climax is both spectacular and very satisfying. The alien gets just what it deserves after showing so little respect for the men in uniform, not to mention the men of science.

Anyway, back in 1961 I finished watching this movie on the late show about 1:30 AM and had to make my way down a dark hallway from the den to my bedroom, keepin' quiet so I wouldn't wake my father and be in more trouble than the people in The Thing from Another World. Shocked

When a movie can leave you feeling nervous about walking down the hallway in your own house . . . it's scary.

When are they going to give us a Blu-ray of this great movie — with special features that include behind-the-scenes photos of that so-called "set" where the saucer crashed?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:19 pm; edited 13 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This film is one of the greats!

Watch the scene where the crew is flying to the research station.

They radio Tex at the station to speak with him. We clearly see a window behind Tex in the Radio Room.

Later on Tex is told that their 'visitor' is roaming around the base & he should come to the barracks where everyone is hold up. Tex replies that he's secured the RR & will remain there as there aren't any windows for the Thing to get through!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it again recently, and I paid close attention to this matter about the windows in the radio room and Tex's puzzling claim that there were no outside windows in the radio room.

After doing so I realized there was only one explanation. Tex does NOT have tobacco in those cigarettes we see him reaching for right after talking to the guys on the radio for the first time. Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Captain Carrot was the pilot of the ship with the pods for Invasion of the Body Snatchers!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a funny idea. Very Happy

"The inhabitants of the planet Vegeton are planning to invade the Earth, and the evil Vegetarians want to eat mankind!"

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would their enfeebled persons animate instead of vegetate?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They intend to squash mankind, and they don't carrot who they hurt!

Lettuce not forget the hard lesson we learned the last time ruthless aliens came to Earth. We asked God to a-spara-gus, and he did!

It was an aMaizing experience. The world was in turmoil, with everybody completely cornfused!

Mankind will have to unite against these invaders, for without a strong onion we cannot survive!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing from Another World - (1951) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . Anyway, The Thing from Another World delivers a helluva show. That scene at the landing site is spectacular, and I've always had trouble accepting that it wasn't really filmed outdoors. The sky and background just do not look like painted backdrops.

Actually that scene was filmed outdoors -- at the old RKO ranch in the San Fernando Valley, IIRC. After the bungled attempt to melt the ice with thermite (which instead ends up destroying the alien spacecraft), the camera tilts up to follow the plume of smoke rising from the explosion. At one point you can clearly see the break between the top of the painted cyclorama and the real sky.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've often read that the cyclorama is supposed to be visible when the camera tilts upward. For years I looked for it, but I couldn't find it! I started thinking it had been digitally removed.

Then I figured out what everybody was talking about: the obvious dark area above the clouds. And I finally realized why it didn't actually look like the top of the cyclorama.

Because it isn't.

First of all, you can see that dividing line between the light and dark area before the camera even tilts up -- and it just looks like the tops of real clouds.

Compare the visible landscape and the distant clouds just before the first explosion --

-- and a moment after the second one. Please note that the line which is supposed to be the top of the painting isn't even straight the way a cyclorama would be! Shocked

As the camera tilts back you can see a little more of the "real" sky above. But the alleged "cyclorama" looks even more like the upper edge of a real cloud layer! You can even see the way the top of the clouds are rounded.

Maybe they were just painted to look that way.

But did the painters make the actual top of the cyclorama slightly "wavy" like a cloud layer and then paint right up to the very upper edge?

That's possible too, I guess.

And yet at the height of the camera's tilt, the light from the explosion has dimmed enough to cause the camera's aperture to adjust, so we see the shading on the cloud's shape even better.

Okay, sure, that would occur whether they're real or painted, so I still don't know what to think.

I'm not saying that all the statements about the landing site being filmed in 100 degree heat on a set that was open to the sky and surrounded by a cyclorama are not really true

I'm just saying it sure as hell doesn't look like it!

I mean, be honest with me, guys. Does this really look like the upper edge of a large painting, with the real sky beyond it, exposed by the camera when it tilted upward?

To me it bears a remarkable resemblance to this --

-- which is cropped from this --

-- after taking the color out of this --

-- and then having fun putting it together with a jpeg from The Thing to create the Turner colorized IMAX version! Very Happy

But since I hate colorized movies, here's the way it ought to look -- and besides, this one makes my point best of all! Very Happy

What cyclorama? I don't see no stinkin' cyclorama! Do you guys? Wink

Just for comparison -- the actual scene, directly from the DVD, with all the crappy scratches and junk I hope they'll clean off that new Blu-ray!

What Blu-ray, you may ask? Why, THIS one, of course!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Bud, there is an alternative explanation that shows that it MIGHT be a matte painting.

The work of Albert Whitlock. There are many references to his amazingly realistic cloud paintings at http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/

In other words, we STILL don't know.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment, Butch, but those clouds were painted by me using Microsoft Paint. Reread the post you'll see that I took the picture of the guys standing in a circle and pasted in a highly enhanced version of the simple photo of a clouds I found online.

In the movie, the camera pans up and shakes all around, supposedly revealing the upper edge of a big cyclorama which presented all the distant landscape and the sky above it in the area around saucer crash site.

My contention is that this --

-- doesn't look like the straight upper edge of a cyclorama. It looks like clouds and sky, just like in the picture I posted for comparison.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I was trying to point out an alternative that someone might have posted. BUT it cannot be Al because in that time period he was under contract to 20th Century-Fox.

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I appreciate your original thinking and your thoroughness, sir. Very Happy

I should point, however, that we seemed to be faced with two simple, but interesting, choices.

(1) The scene really was filmed in California in 100 degree heat with a gigantic cyclorama surrounding an area that appears to be much larger than the sound stage on which Forbidden planet was filmed, despite the fact that absolutely nobody seems to have a single BTS photo showing any of this -- a fact which amazes me all by itself.

--- or ---

(2) The widely held belief that the scene was filmed on a set with a false background is totally bogus, and the truth has never been revealed for unknown reasons.

Ummm . . . but there's one thing I've deliberately neglected to mention before now, a rather damning bit of evidence against my "It was really filmed outside" theory.

That bit of evidence is the fact that the cloud patterns in every shot never change.

We all know that a complex scene that lasts five minutes on screen takes hours, days, or weeks to film. If this scene actually was filmed outdoors and the backgrounds we see are real, the cloud patterns behind the actors would be constantly changing from one shot to the next.

But they don't. In fact, there's one distinctive cloud pattern that is visible in several scenes. Notice the unusual T-shaped clouds in the background of the picture below.

Just before the thermite is detonated, that cloud is seen directly behind the men -- even though it shouldn't be there.

Here's what I mean. That cloud pattern is locate in this direction, relative to the saucer's fin.

But when the men position themselves to detonate the thermite, they head off to the right of the fin --

-- and then they turn around to face the saucer. Even though they are seen walking away from the T-shaped cloud a moment before, that cloud is now located behind them.

Unfortunately the camera couldn't be positioned to face them with the saucer behind the camera if they were standing here, the spot they're seen walking towards --

--- because their was no cyclorama in that direction. The cyclorama evidently did NOT go all the way around the set (just like the one in Forbidden Planet), so there were certain directions the camera could not face.

Therefore, in the medium close-up of the men facing the saucer, they were actually positioned over on the snow bank in front of the T-shaped cloud. The audience doesn't know this. One snow bank looks pretty much like another.

Notice that from this position, the T-shaped cloud looks much large than at any other time. That's because it's a painting located roughly 50 feet behind the men -- not a real cloud located miles away. A real cloud would not get noticeably larger just because we're seeing it from a few dozen feet closer than before.

In the scene above, the men were actually standing at the spot marked by the green X in the picture below, right in front of the T-shaped cloud, while they faced the camera and looked at the saucer before detonating the thermite.

And finally, there's this. The very fact that this distinct cloud formation is unchanged in all these shots proves it isn't real. No real cloud formation would remain in the sky for hours like this while the various scenes were discussed, set up, and shot.

So . . . it IS a cyclorama. Embarassed

Dammit.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering; is it possible that they took their backdrop up to Big Bear Lake and filmed there?

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that's the part that still bugs the hell out of me, Butch!

I've heard from various sources that the scene showing the crew forming a ring around the flying saucer was actually filmed at the RKO Ranch in the San Fernando Valley in 100-degree weather!

That just doesn't seem possible.

Even though I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the shooting location was surround by a cyclorama, I still find it hard to believe that the snow wasn't real and the actors were just acting when they kept rubbing their hands together, shaking them to get the blood flowing, and blowing on their gloves, as we often see Douglas Spencer doing.

And there's still the mystery of what we're really seeing when the camera tilts up during the explosion! Since the background really is a cyclorama, why do we see the wavy upper surface of a cloud layer, instead of the straight edge of a very tall painted backdrop?

We see nothing like that in the shots below. Could the cyclorama have actually been taller than the highest point we see here?

Really? Shocked

The green arrow marks the upper surface of the cloud that everybody has assumed was the top edge of the cyclorama.

The camera tilts upward so far that the edge of the cloud goes out of frame a split second after this screen grab was made, and apparently stopped tilting up at that point.

So, since we now all agree that there is a cyclorama providing the background for this shot —

— why don't we see it when the camera tilts much higher than we can reasonably expect the backdrop to be?

However, I think I can make a guess as to how far away the backdrop is from the camera and the actors. Look at this shot of the men gazing at the crash site for the first time.

If you look closely at the "bottleneck" of the long path the ship melted while sliding on the snow, you can see a horizontal white band across it towards the far end.

And you can also see that the left-and-right edges of the long path change angles at the white band.

I submit that the cyclorama was located at the white band (marked with the yellow line), and the part of the "slide path" that was painted on the cyclorama doesn't quite line up with the path that actually existed on the set.

This also suggests that the bottom edge of the cyclorama was cleverly hidden by the white snow that led up to it. There was a painted white area from the bottom of the cyclorama that went up a few feet, creating an invisible boundary between the snow covered ground and the painted version of the landscape!

That's why we see the horizontal band of white across the distant "slide path". It hides the fact that the actually ground ends there and the cyclorama is located at that point.

Smart! No wonder we can't see where the cyclorama meets the ground.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: