ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What If ~ by Zackuth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: What If ~ by Zackuth Reply with quote

Inspired by others that have shared their stories I would like to share one of mine. I hope everyone enjoys it.

What If
by Zackuth

"What if I could show you a tree that has an image of Abe Lincoln grown in it?” asked Artie.

“What if I could show you an area of the swamp that glows at night?” Tom added.

“What if I could show you a grave of five people who were murdered over a hundred years ago and no one ever knew they were killed?” interjected Joel.

“What if I could show you where a real UFO was at?” Stan said.

Four of the other five friends turned their heads and stared at Stan while Greg shook his head in disbelief. No one spoke for several seconds then Mike turned to Greg took a drink of his beer and asked “You did explain the rules to him, didn”t you Greg?”

Greg meekly nodded his answer. The game was called “What If”. Each of the people in turn asked a question beginning with what if, and then a conditional statement was asked. Everybody kept asking these what if questions until someone challenged the previous statement. If the person could validate their statement, they won; if not they lost. Winners usually got dinner for the week, their laundry done, the loser did a homework assignment for the others, brought the beer to the next meeting (which was usually the punishment, being in college beer was usually preferred). The statements, if false, were stated in a way which made them seem believable. If a question was not challenged it could be used at a later date.

Stan was Greg”s biology lab partner and new to the game, actually this was Stan”s first. Greg had told Stan about the game and Stan was interested enough to want to play. Greg thought he had explained the rules completely enough but obviously not. No one ever made such a claim in the first round, much less on their first attempt.

Mike turned to Stan and said, “Well Stan, I”m gonna have to call you on that one.”

Stan stood up and put his hand in his pockets. “Who wants to drive?” he asked.

Mike”s pick up was not much to look at, but it did run great. Mike, Greg, and Stan rode in the cab while the other three rode in back. Stan had taken them into the nearby forest along a dirt path that was rough going. The three in the back were bouncing over every bump and rut but they were having a great time. Tom, Joel, and Artie talked about the journey, not believing Stan could take them to a UFO, but he did not admit he had been called on his statement. They concluded Stan was going to take them and show everyone something very cool so they would not penalize him heavily on the loss. The truck was stopped just as the trees grew thicker together. The trees responded to the warmer spring weather and leaves were in various stages of budding. All six gathered together and Stan indicated they would have to walk a bit to get to the craft.

“Stan, you know we called you, just say you lost,” Artie said.

“Oh, c”mon Artie! I”m interested in finding out what Stan has in mind,” Greg replied.

“But it”s late and it”s getting chilly out here. I didn”t bring a coat,” Joel commented.

“Guys,” Greg said, “we”ve come this far. Let”s see this to the end.”

Greg motioned for Stan to lead and each of the friends followed Stan into the forest.

After half an hour of walking, Stan approached a hill and climbed until he could just see over the crest. He waved for the rest to follow and the others climbed and followed Stan”s actions and just peered over the hill. All five were amazed to view the sight of a UFO.

“How did you know?”

“When did you see it?”

“Why didn”t you notify someone?”

All these questions flew at Stan at once, and he put his finger to his mouth to quiet his companions. “I saw it a couple of days ago,” he whispered. “I didn”t tell anyone because who would believe me? You all didn”t even though I knew you”d call me on this. I have been here each night since it landed.”

“What are they doing here? Just checking us out?” Mike asked.

“Maybe they”re seeing if they would be able to invade the planet,” Tom suggested.

“What if they are collecting specimens for their planet?” Stan asked.

“I want a closer look!” exclaimed Greg.

“Yeah, me too!” agreed Joel.

All five friends began to climb over the hill and Stan thrust his arm out to stop the men from going any further. They looked and Stan said “What if I can get us inside?” The suggestion further aroused their curiosity and excitement and the beer did the rest. The friends agreed to follow Stan into the UFO.

The six approached the craft in bursts of speed and stealth. The friends wanted to hurry and get to the craft, but did not want to run into the owner. When they finally got to the craft they found it opened and they walked inside, lead by Stan. The friends marveled at the technology; lights seemingly without a source, metallic walls that gave slightly to the pressure from their hands, and the eeriness of a lack of sound from their footfalls.

“Ok guys,” Tom said with his eyes wide in fascination, “we”ve seen enough. Now let”s get out of here before the alien comes back and finds us here.”

“What if he is already here?” Stan asked with a wry smile on his face.
[/size]
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story !

What if they're never seen again ?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good yarn well told, Zack! Thanks for posting it.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarned good, more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: