ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysterious Island (1961)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Island (1961) Reply with quote

This post comes with a music soundtrack -- an All Sci-Fi exclusive Special Feature!

Click on these links and let YouTube play the original motion picture soundtrack for Mysterious Island while you read this post. The two suites have slightly different selections, so if the first suite finishes while you're still reading, start the next one!

Enjoy!
Very Happy

____

In 1961 I was a fresh-faced lad of thirteen, stuffed clean full of enthusiasm for science fiction in general and Ray Harryhausen in particular.

Having seen Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and 20 Million Miles to Earth at a drive-in with my family, and 7th Voyage of Sinbad at a downtown theater in Atlanta, I was more than willing to hop on a bus with two buddies — Jimmy and Chuck — in 1961 and travel to a local theater like the one shown below when Mysterious Island came out, eager to see this newest Harryhausen feature.

We certainly weren't disappointed. There's a lot to like about this movie, and we liked it all!

It's the perfect adventure for three young guys living smack dab in the middle of the Kennedy era, desperately wanting to escape reality in a dark theater on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The price of a movie ticket was well under a buck in those days, and here's what we got for our money.

The action-packed escape in a stolen balloon during a violent windstorm and torrential rain was certainly a great way kick off the adventure! And the spectacular music by Bernard Herrmann (which you're probably listening to right now from YouTube), was the perfect music for a high-flying ride clear across the continent and right out over the Pacific.

And where did the escapees finally land? Smack dab on an island with the wildest topography since Dorothy walked out the front door of her extremely mobile home and discovered short people in colorful costumes who had a real knack for speaking in rhymes. Confused

For three boys who wanted God to let them live on Skull Island when they finally passed away, this movie was the next best thing. We nudged each other and whispered about the seagulls in the foreground — a King Kong homage if ever there was one.

We even got a scene with a big old log laying across a deep chasm. Yes indeed, we knew we'd found a new home . . . for as long as we could hide from the theater manager! Shocked

It wasn't long before a stroll on the beach turned into a battle between five hungry men and one large order of sea food.

If you remember the first time you saw this scene, you can imagine the expressions worn by three young guys in the tenth row who knew exactly who created this cinematic miracle — and exactly how he did it.

By 1961, my friend Jimmy and I had done our own stop-motion animation on 8mm film, so we had a keen appreciation for Harryhausen's amazing work. The pictures below are screen grabs from one movie we teamed up on. The clay monster was built and animated by Jimmy (shown as he actually sculpted it) in a battle with a clay dragon he also sculpted, and I animated.

__

__

__

Click on the image below and watch one of my brief 8mm animation movies, The Warrior and the Monster (coming soon to DVD and Blu-ray. Wink )

Meanwhile, back on the Mysterious Island . . .

The brave castaways turn a life-threatening situation into a clam bake on the beach after they showed that mean old crab just what the combined efforts of determined men can do when faced by a large crustacean with a crabby attitude. (oooow . . . sorry. Embarassed)

And just when my friends and I back in 1961 thought this movie couldn't get any better, Joan Greenwood and Beth Rogan arrive to take care of any further cooking duties the men folk might need. After all this was 1961, and women knew their place back in those days, by gum! Wink

So, now the island has a cozy group of castaways which included a captain, a nervous young sidekick, a few miscellaneous guys, two attractive ladies, and (later on) a brilliant scientist who could make clever devices out of natural materials, such as (you guessed it) . . . bamboo.

Sound familiar?

Thank God none of the characters were named Gilligan or we'd never get through this movie with straight faces! Laughing

But oh-my-goodness, isn't Beth Rogan a lovely young lady?

__

(Oops, sorry! Wrong young lady.) Embarassed

Here's Miss Rogan, making a fashion statement almost a century ahead of it's time!

________

Jimmy, Chuck, and I were mesmerized by the movie for plenty of reason besides the charms of Miss Rogan. Good lord, what a Saturday Matinee this was turning out to be! A wild ride in a balloon across a stormy sea, a crash-landing on a Technicolor version of Skull Island, a monster crab that nearly eats a man, and a hot babe in a deerskin miniskirt.

Could this get any better?

The answer was . . . yes!

The castaways set up housekeeping in a very cool cave, halfway up a cliff — complete with a Swiss Family Robinson elevator to the castaway's Granite Penthouse. This prime bit of real estate came with a pirate's bones for decoration, a pirate's diary for light reading, and a pirate's humongous gourd filled with hard liquor — Yoho, yoho, a pirates life for me!

And before my friends and I could get back from the snack bar with our second bags of popcorn and fresh Cokes, the adventurers found a floating trunk packed with more goodies than eBay, and they fixed up the cave with handmade furniture and room dividers so that all the starry-eyed kids in the audience would spend the next ten years fantasizing about living there!

But Mr. Harryhausen had barely gotten started with the treats he'd planned for this feast of fantasy, and before you could hum the first few bars of Turkey in the Straw, the scene with that giant bird brought me and my friends to full attention when the colorful buzzard leapt down from the top of the frame and tried to peck poor Beth Rogan to death!

Herbert — the guy who confessed to being a big chicken during a Civil War battle a little earlier in the story — took a flying leap off a split rail fence and rode that bird like a rodeo champion! Cool

Fans of Bernard Herrmann know the story about how he gave Ray Harryhausen a nervous moment during pre-production when Bernard put on his best poker face and told Ray that the perfect music for the giant bird scene would be the aforementioned Turkey in the Straw!

The castaways celebrated Herbert's glorious rescue of Lady Beth with a giant turkey dinner that makes you wonder why we don't all go live on this amazing island!

I tried to find a YouTube video of Turkey in the Straw by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (the best version I know of), but I struck out. If anybody else has better luck, let me know. Confused

But I did find a nice YouTube video of Flight of the Bumblebee, and it sounds remarkably similar to the music Bernard wrote for the scene which occurs just after the one in which Beth Rogan answers the big fashion question —

~ What color will the undergarments be on the best dressed castaways this year?

The answer, as we ALL know, is yellow. I recommend that you click on this link and listen to Flight of the Bumblebee while you enjoy the pictures below. You can pause the Mysterious Island music and come right back to it afterwards. Very Happy

But this rousing adventure was not about to get caught with its pants down, and before my friends and I could aggravate our on-coming teenage acne by staring too long at the lovely Beth, a giant bee interrupts their picnic, and they're forced to flee into the cave containing the giant bee hive.

Minutes later we were treated to the sight of the Nautilus, floating serenely in the hidden grotto. (I'd love to know what happened to the miniature they used in this movie. I think it's gorgeous.)

It wasn't long before we got to meet Captain Nemo himself — and now the Mysterious Island had it's own "professor" to invent the things they needed to be rescued! Laughing

This Saturday Matinee adventure played out with never a dull moment, as the castaways and their distinguished new member displayed bravery and intelligence, raising the pirate ship that Nemo cleverly sunk. During the underwater repair job on the pirate ship, we're shown the remnants of an ancient civilization —

— and Nemo's 'electric gun" . . . which, frankly, doesn't seem like a smart thing for people use under water, since water conducts electricity. But that certainly didn't bother me and my friends back in 1961 when we were dazzled by this snazzy weapon. Cool

We also watched the guys battle a giant sea creature along the way, which they turned into sushi with the electric gun.

The action, adventure, and romance stayed right on course until the end of the story, when the castaways sailed away in the recovered pirate ship — a classy way to demonstrate the superiority of brains over brawn! Cool

I actually remember walking away from the movie theater in 1961 with Jimmy and Chuck while we all talked at the same time and re-ran the movie in our heads. We tried not to bump into lamp posts and mail boxes while our eyes adjusted to the bright sunlight.

Actually we did the same thing two years later when Jason and the Argonauts came out. But that's another story — and another post. Very Happy

Bonus Feature:

The Making of the Mysterious Island Post - the bee jpegs.

Just a small example of the effort I went to while making this post -- I created this picture (also shown above) --

-- by combining these two pictures.

And this picture of the three bees is a composite of three pictures, using the best pose of each bee. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:45 pm; edited 31 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Isand - (1961) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
...I was more than willing to hop on a bus with two buddies — Jimmy and Chuck — in 1961 and travel to a local theater like the one shown below when Mysterious Island came out, eager to see this newest Harryhausen feature.

Well I'll be... I lived in Hemet for 16 years and I've seen movies at this theater. I now live about 20 million miles from there. (Did I say "million"? Strike that.)

By the way, Bud, I think you may have skipped a couple frames from the movie in your post.
Very Happy

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked that photo because it was the best one out of all the pictures I found when I made a Google search using something like "1960s local movie theaters".

I'm delighted that I happen to choose the one that had a personal connection for you, Wayne.

I worked on the post for two days, and I finished it late last night. When I read it through while playing the music for the first time, I was pleased by how well it worked. I hope other members will enjoy it, too!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always considered MI one of the finest Ray Harryhausen films along with The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad & Jason & The Argonauts.

As a huge fan of Ray's work I enjoy all his films.

However, a number of them are only showcases for his incredible stop motion animation.

These 3 films I've named were examples of where the scripting & F/X worked together wonderfully as a team instead of the script merely serving as an excuse for the animation.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing we should bear in mind about Harryhausen's work is that even though it's a dynamic and beautiful art form —

— it's a very flawed special effects technique . . . because many people think it just looks fake, and very few people can even use it effectively.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, a Windstream technician, came by today to upgrade my connection speed, and we started talking about movies we saw at local theaters when were were kids. I mentioned that Mysterious Island was one I remembered seeing when I was 13.

Ed is about my age, and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said he had fond memories of a local theater called the Gem in Kannapolis, NC, where he remembered sitting through Where Eagles Dare three times in one day!

I Googled the Gem to see what it looked like. It's a beautiful little local theater which is still in operation. The article about it at the site below says it's one of the oldest single-screen movie theaters in continuous operation today!

Before you ask — no, I did NOT use Paint.net on this next picture, and you can visit the website if you think I'm kidding. Imagine how hard I cackled with glee when I first say this jpeg. Laughing

What are the odds that I'd mention my memories of seeing Mysterious Island in 1961 at a local theater, and then -- minutes later -- stumbling across this picture of the Gem's marquee? )

It's fate, I tell ya! Pure, undeniable fate . . . Shocked

(I know, I know . . . this is NOT the 1961 movie, it's the recent film. Hey, it's still funny, though.)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:49 am; edited 7 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his book RH: An Animated Life, Ray writes that he wanted to do a stop-motion plant but time & $$$ would not allow for its inclusion in MI.

Ray had sketches of the plant in his book that are awesome. A shame it did not come to fruition as he never had done a s-m plant in any of his films before or since MI.

Always was impressed with the nautaloid creature in the undersea scenes & was disappointed it did not last longer.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, you're right! This would have been a spectacular scene!

In keeping with the idea that Nemo was developing bioengineering techniques for more efficient food production, I assume he was trying to produce an edible plant that could be part of a salad . . . that tossed itself! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what image you posted, Bud, but since this thread is so heavily loaded with images, it would take about half an hour before it appears. Confused

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, what a bummer. I wish you could see it. It's really great. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
... so heavily loaded with images, it would take about half an hour before it appears. Confused

Let's get you into the 21st century, Wayne. I thought my connection was slow because YouTube stalls a bit sometimes.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
orzel-w wrote:
... so heavily loaded with images, it would take about half an hour before it appears. Confused.

Let's get you into the 21st century, Wayne.

I'll look forward to receiving your checks to cover the cost of upgrading from a DSL phone line connection, Rock Very Happy

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, if this is the 21st century, we don't use money anymore!

Oh, sorry, my mistake. That's the 23rd century. You know, the universe according to Roddenberry. I think Gene should be sending you those checks, Wayne. I haven't figured out yet how he expected people to provide goods and services for other people on a voluntary basis.
Confused

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Jules Verne's novel of MI is strictly about these folks surviving on the island.

They never encounter astonishing creatures or anything like of that nature.

I enjoyed all the cast but thought that Herbert Lom was outstanding as Captain Nemo.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I enjoyed all the cast but thought that Herbert Lom was outstanding as Captain Nemo.

I watched it on TCM recently, was impressed anew with Lom's portrayal of Nemo. I'm tempted to buy the $60 BD. I'll wait for Brent's Blu-ray report first.

I haven't missed that one already, have I?
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: