ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Command (aka In the Fold -1996 unsold pilot)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Star Command (aka In the Fold -1996 unsold pilot) Reply with quote

This 1996 unsold pilot for a series is remarkable in every way! I had a VHS copy of it for years, and a while back I received a much better DVD-R copy from Randy.

In a perfect world, this would have become a popular and long-running series. The cast is top notch, the story is terrific, and the the FX are extremely well done.

Notice the obvious John Berkey influence in the design of the spaceships above.

But don't take my word for it. Watch this very fine Youtube video of the full movie, which has a fairly good picture! You'll thank me, I promise.

_____________________Star Command (1996)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Bud. Star Command had tremendous potential if the pilot had been picked up to be a weekly sf tv show.

I have read that the creator of SC was very displeased with the final result of her concept due to producers mishandling of her ideas. Also, the production ran out of $$$ as it was being shot.

I still remain impressed at what was achieved under those 2 events to detract from the overall production.

And Kelly Hu was certainly beautiful.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the impressive robot, reminiscence of Syd Mead's wonderful Johnny Five in Short Circuit.

He was used to good advantage in the story, serving occasionally as tasteful comic relief, but also as a high-capacity data storage unit at a key moment in the plot.

And then there's the delightful inclusion of those very attractive ladies who present both intelligent and interesting characters, as well as tantalizing eye candy for us "fan boy"! Very Happy

Miss Jennifer Bransford as Ensign Ali McGinty is my personal favorite, a tough lady who endured a very troubled youth, but who emerged as a strong and noble person who combines both intelligence and irresistible femininity.

I think this enjoyable TV movie is the perfect descendant of Star Trek TOS, presenting gorgeous women characters who wear their attractive miniskirt uniforms with pride as they stride through this optimistic future.

Star Command comes as close to anything I've seen to presenting the kind of future I describe in my novels, The Wishbone Express and Sail the Sea of Stars.

If you haven't read them yet, I think you're in for a real treat. To put it bluntly folks . . . what are you waiting for? Very Happy

(All the pictures above are screen grabs from the Youtube video of this great movie. Please download it and watch it on your big HD television! And if you don't have the ability to do that . . . get busy and figure out how, like I did! Shocked)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that poster, but who in heck is "Chat" Everett ???
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this is the image I started with, but I didn't like the bottom half —

So I pasted this picture from Star Command in it's place.

It must be the box art for the German DVD sold on Amazon. I'll fix Chad's name in the one I posted above. And maybe I'll change Morgan Fairchild to Morgan Freeman, just to see if anybody else notices! Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it was filmed in Germany.

David.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pow and Bud — good concept, good actors, and good special efects. The image quality of my Youtube download is very good, especially considering that the mp4 file is only 418 MBytes.

One curious thing about the Youtube video, however: Did you notice that ALL of the credits have been stripped? There are no credits of any kind at either the beginning or end of the movie. Not even the title is given. Maybe that was done to hide it from YT's copyright police.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
One curious thing about the Youtube video, however: Did you notice that ALL of the credits have been stripped? There are no credits of any kind at either the beginning or end of the movie. Not even the title is given. Maybe that was done to hide it from YT's copyright police.

Hey, you're right!

I didn't notice the lack of credits (even the title) at the beginning, nor the cast and crew credits at the end. The flashing background is there at the beginning where the title should be, but no title is superimposed over it.

Ditto for the end credits: we get the star-filled background and the end credit music, but not a single credit appears.

I was surprised to learn that the DVD which Randy Everett sent me a few years ago doesn't have the credits either. Obviously Randy located the same source used by the Youtube video, and from that source (wherever it came from) he made my DVD.

The quality is exactly the same. I made screen shots from both the DVD and the Youtube video and compared the details.

There was no difference at all.
Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not taken with the comic relief robot, Bud.

Reminded me too much of the silliness of the Lost In Space robot. I realize that this show probably would not have taken it that far but I groaned every time it appeared on the scene.

I was also disappointed with the deaths of Morgan Fairchild & Chad Everett. They were intriguing characters with a strong presence. Had SC gone to series it would have been fun to see them in charge of the young & inexperienced crew.

Liked the Surprise space ship, aptly named for what they inflicted upon the enemy. It reminded me somewhat of Thunderbird #2.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I was also disappointed with the deaths of Morgan Fairchild & Chad Everett.

It was necessary for a sustainable series budget. Hire the big names for the pilot, then let the cheaper actors take over for the long run.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Pow wrote:
I was also disappointed with the deaths of Morgan Fairchild & Chad Everett.

It was necessary for a sustainable series budget. Hire the big names for the pilot, then let the cheaper actors take over for the long run.

I agree that the deaths of the two wise and experienced authority figures was a very effective way to throw the youngsters to the wolves and force them to fend for themselves.

It was a classic piece of drama. We were shocked by their deaths, and we sympathized with the frighten and inexperienced cadets who struggled to survive while they accepted the awesome responsibility of saving the colony world.

It was the strongest element of this dramatic story!

As for the robot, he was a beautiful piece of technology, and he offered some nice moments of humor — like when he offered to share the surveillance videos from all over the ship. It provided a plot development that proved to be very interesting.

The only aspect of this great movie that seems weak are the villains. They have no depth whatsoever. The difference between the good guys and bad guys is striking and puzzling. I think the producers wanted to give us simple villains who wouldn't show up again in the unmade series for several episodes, and wouldn't be missed.

Eventually they'd return, but with more depth. And our beloved cadets would have some valuable past experience dealing with them, which would benefit Star Command, putting the youngsters into the spotlight again! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt an influence here from Verhooven's STARSHIP TROOPERS in the interactions of the crew and the uniforms.

This was still an enjoyable film, but I can't see where it could have succeeded without some really creative writing going forward into a series.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I felt an influence here from Verhooven's STARSHIP TROOPERS in the interactions of the crew and the uniforms.

Filmed and broadcast while SST was still in the early stages of filming.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit more evidence that the ships in this film were inspired by John Berkey's designs. Compare the screen shot below to the Berkey paintings.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked John Berkey's "Outboard motor" designs.

The influence was also noted in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK rebel capital ships.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: