ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Command (aka In the Fold -1996 unsold pilot)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
One curious thing about the Youtube video, however: Did you notice that ALL of the credits have been stripped? There are no credits of any kind at either the beginning or end of the movie. Not even the title is given. Maybe that was done to hide it from YT's copyright police.

I found a clip on YouTube (with German dialog) that has all the scenes with the missing credits.

________Eva Habermann in Star Command 1996

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melinda M. Snodgrass was the writer of this film. She wrote several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation while serving as the series' story editor during its second and third seasons.

She has also contributed produced scripts for the series Odyssey 5, The Outer Limits, SeaQuest DSV, and Reasonable Doubts; she was also a consulting producer on The Profiler.

She has also written science fiction novels and short stories, notably the Circuit trilogy and is the co-editor and a frequent story contributor to George R. R. Martin's long-running (since 1987) Wild Cards shared world series.

Bud and I were watching Earth*star Voyager tonight in the chat room and he brought up this movie as a possible future viewing option. I think I'll take him up on it! I've always fallen asleep just after the opening scenes....but I'm sure his super-critical repartee will keep my attention honed to the screen! (Just kidding Bud! We WILL watch this soon!!!).

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, there's plenty of things in this movie to stay awake for. Like this scene for example. Wink

I'm looking forward to watching it with you, Admiral Green! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Melinda M. Snodgrass was the writer of this film. She wrote several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation while serving as the series' story editor during its second and third seasons.

I met Ms. Snodgrass at the 1996 World Con, and asked her about this movie. She said that she did it as a favor to a friend. She had some interesting things to say about The NexGen, and the writers dealing with Roddenberry's edicts.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I met Ms. Snodgrass at the 1996 World Con, and asked her about this movie. She said that she did it as a favor to a friend.

Dear Lord, don't leave us hangin', sir. Is that ALL she said about the project?

Was she pleased with it (I certainly would have been . . . Very Happy), did she hate it (if so, I probably don't want to know Sad), did she say she thought it should have been a series (if she did, she's dead right, because it's great! Cool)

At the risk of shocking you folks, I'll state that I love this neglected little gem and desperately wish it had been turned into a series.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. She really didn't have much to say about it, I think that she thought it was okay. I do remember that she thought it was just to be a TV movie, and not a series pilot.

But then, any TV movie can end up being a pilot, even when it wasn't intended to be one. Some TV show episodes have spawned TV shows because the episode was so popular with the audience.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud and I finally got to watch this in the ASF Chat room....and by God...I really came to like it!

The rather bland first few minutes and a few obvious tropes aside it became an engrossing coming of age Space Cadet story in the Robert Heinlien vein. For a 1996 film it stood up very well. Thanks Bud for making me watch it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: