ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lost Future (2010 TV movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: The Lost Future (2010 TV movie) Reply with quote

Wikipedia describes this SyFy production this way.

The Lost Future is a 2010 South African-German post-apocalyptic film from Syfy, directed by Mikael Salomon and written by Jonas Bauer. The film stars Sean Bean, Corey Sevier and Sam Claflin. It was released on DVD on September 27, 2011.

I saw a promo for it today on the Sanctuary DVD I was watching (the same one I found on YouTube at the link below) and it actually looks pretty good. But the critics didn't like it. Like this guy, for example.

Scott Foy of Dread Central rated the film 2/5 stars and wrote that "this was a classier piece of cinema than the typical schlock Syfy produces", but it is too rushed, has too many characters and dangling storylines, and the action sequences can not make up for the shortcomings.

Has anybody seen it — and it so, what did you think?

_________________ The Lost Future - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 19, 2022 11:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to track down a copy of the movie, and it made for quite an enjoyable 90 minutes. We start with a group of cavemen on a hunt, with quartz-tipped spears, and a battle with a giant sloth. But they had strayed too far out of their own territory to get the much-needed fresh meat, and were attacked by a tribe of - zombies? Daylight vampires? It all seems pretty prehistoric, until we see Sean Bean watching from a distance, and using a well-worn pair of binoculars.

It seems that scientists had gone too far in reviving old critters like mammoths and giant sloths (a real thing, a swift look at Google images assures me), and unwittingly created a plague that turned almost every person on the planet into slavering monsters craving human flesh. And so civilisation ended, except for isolated pockets.

Sean Bean may have headlined the production, but he doesn't play one of the main heroes - rather, he had come to find the group, after encountering the father of one of our heroes who, almost uniquely, could read... and he had taught his son how to. While the group of survivors huddle in a cave, with the monster-men trying to break in, three characters set off on a quest - the son, plus the tribe's leader's son and his girlfriend. There is a cure, possibly, for the plague, though it can only immunise or cure someone before they fully transform; a yellow powder, easily inhaled.

There is a fair amount of questing and fighting, and indeed another trio try unsuccessfully to find a way out from the back of the cave, which seemed a bit unnecessary. Our three go to an island stronghold (as the monster-men fear and avoid open water), where the ruler, Gagen, played by Jonathan Pienaar doing a pretty good imitation of Alan Rickman, has a supply of the yellow powder. Will he allow our heroes to take his supply, if they promise, with the one character's reading ability, to manufacture large amounts and bring him some? Or would that spoil his little fiefdom?

Well, there is a chase, and a confrontation, and Sean Bean re-enters the story. I'd better not say whether Gagen and his crossbow manages to increase the number of times Mr Bean has died on-screen... but if you are hoping for a scene at the end when the youngsters of the tribe are being taught the alphabet, so that civilisation can begin its slow rise once more, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by Custer on Sat May 12, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sold!

I placed The Lost Future on my Netflix list, but it will be awhile before I get it because I'm working my way through the Sanctuary DVDs and I've still got season three and four to go. (Great show!)

Thanks, Custer! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: