ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Orville (2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not great, and not too bad.

It held my attention for the hour, but it has a lot of room for improvement.

What does it want to be?

A TNG parody? Good luck TNG is more dated than TOS and they might get 5 or 10 good episodes.

Galaxy Quest on TV? It will probably have a decent run. There is much more material to exploit.

A stand alone Science fiction comedy? Good bye, this will fail fast.

The jokes need to be funnier, and the drama needs
improvement.

This is only one episode, I'll keep watching for at least a few weeks.

I will say that it was better than many 1st shows of a new series.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode one seemed pretty good to me, though most of its high points had already appeared in trailers. Some nice special effects, even if they did linger a little longer than necessary... and the twist in the tale at the end worked well. If you are introducing the whole set-up and all the characters, that does cramp the actual action-story part, but hopefully next week will improve on that.

But the music - that was so much The Motion Picture, or The Next Generation, of, um, an existing franchise! It certainly left me humming the familiar Jerry Goldsmith theme afterwards...
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong.

After watching the episode again, I discovered that the scientist carefully explained that the redwood seed was genetically engineered to grow to maturity without food or water, in any environment.

Shame on me for not catching this important fact the first time! Shocked

So, my respect for this series has increased! Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the pilot & was impressed with all of the production values for this show.

Set designs, visual effects, make-up were all splendid with lots of $$$ behind it all.

Attractive cast, even a few lol moments. However, I doubt this will be a must-see-tv series for me. Might drop in once & awhile to see what's up with it.

Besides it will be airing opposite Ken Burns PBS mini-series The Vietnam War. I refuse to miss it.

The Orville star ship is a beaut though.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Might drop in once & awhile to see what's up with it.

Besides it will be airing opposite Ken Burns PBS mini-series The Vietnam War. I refuse to miss it.

Hey, this is the 21st Century! We don't MISS shows anymore, we DVR them to watch at our leisure.

And before somebody says, "I don't have cable of satellite!", Best Buys sells DVR recorders for $200.
Very Happy
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hear of some under-the-tv boxes that can be set up to record ten shows simultaneously, which seems a bit extreme... I think my box can do three. The "series link" option is handy, as it means all episodes of any series I follow can be grabbed automatically. I watch hardly any tv, other than news, live... which has the advantage of letting one fast-forward through the advertising, if the channel involved does present about 15 minutes per hour of ads!

The Orville is certainly something I intend to keep watching.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks, it's official. The Orville sucks . . . Rolling Eyes

Last night's episode was lame, dull, sanctimonious, preachy as hell, and so politically correct that I groaned aloud about once every three minutes.

If you saw it, you know what I mean . . . and if you haven't seen it yet, be prepared for a major disappointment.

If this is the kind of story MacFarlan gives us by episode three, I predict the series will be cancelled by episode thirteen. Sad

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, episode two seemed reasonable to me - I've not had a chance to see yesterday's third episode yet. I wasn't sure where they intended to go with Lt. Commander Bortus and his newly hatched female offspring, and the "alien zoo" concept is hardly new to science fiction...but it gave us some backstory for our Captain and his ex, and giving Lt. Alara Kitan a major role was a nice idea.

I await a chance to see "About a Girl" with trepidation. Gender reassignment is a tricky area, for sure! Those wacky aliens... how can egg-layers be 'male' anyway?
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 3 . Overall it was not to bad. Very preachy, VERY TNGish, and well done.

The issue is I thought the story was kind of a Kobiashi Maru. It was a no win story.

Maybe the ending could have benefited by being a Schrodinger's cat.

One thing I will say is I find it incredibly arrogant to anthropomorphize alien societies, and human dealings with them.

Should we expect an alien society to share our morals, norms, and ethics?

WE don't really agree as a species on these things, how could we think that an alien culture would share our values. Are our values really relevant to an alien species? Who are we to say. Would we like our values to be judged by the Klingons? The Krell? Kzinti? Puppeteers? Vulcans? Vogons? or even HAL for that matter.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mach7 wrote:
Quote:
Would we like our values to be judged by the Klingons? The Krell? Kzinti? Puppeteers? Vulcans? Vogons? or even HAL for that matter.

...And THAT Bud was exactly the point of the story!

Perhaps it came scross a bit preachy, but I think the ending negated that. Even the rest of the crew had diverse feelings and different approuches to it.
As far as being ST:TNG it was the most IDIC story ever!

Not my favorite so far...but "sucks"?
Hardly.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach7 wrote:
One thing I will say is I find it incredibly arrogant to anthropomorphize alien societies, and human dealings with them.

Should we expect an alien society to share our morals, norms, and ethics?

This was just one of MANY complaints I had with this episode. The doctor was within her rights to refuse to do the operation, but then all the humans rebelled against the idea that the aliens had their own customs and moral code, and the humans tried to interfere with the decisions of the two parents.

Wait . . . WERE there two parents? They were both male . . . and one of them was not even born male! He'd been "converted" to male as a child!

So, if two males can make a baby (or one male by himself), what do the women of this species do? Nothing? Shocked

The bottom line is, the humans were sticking their noses into the affairs of another specie's/culture's. That rankled me. I kept shouting, "Butt out, guys!" at the television.

Mach7, you said this story was "VERY TNGish". Well, it was like a TNG subplot, but I was bored with the whole thing 20 minutes into it! Why did the producers feel they had to take the entire 45 minutes for this schmaltzy, water-down soap opera?

Basically this was just a story about a gay couple who wanted to make their baby transgender! Where the hell was science fiction in this episode! The whole story could have been told as a single gay male human and his partner.

In half the time, too.

And I swear that was the dullest damn trial I've ever seen! I love Perry Mason episodes, but the trial in this hot mess rambled on and on while nobody offered any good arguments for their side.

Last but not least, was I the only viewer who cracked up at the silly idea that the alien father had a sudden revelation about his daughter's fate because he watched Rudoph and decided that it taught a great moral lesson about an individual who didn't fit in!? Rolling Eyes

Sorry, Mach7, but I expected much better stories from this show. The first two were fair at best. This one has a snooze-fest

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies needed.

Over all it was an ok episode.

I have seen 3 so far. None have been "City on the Edge of Forever". None have been "The Alternative Factor"

So far we have seen middle of the road episodes quality
episodes, but they have held my attention.

I'll continue watching as of now.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th episode of The Orville -If the Stars Should Appear-?? was the best episode yet. (In my opinion)

IMDB summary-The crew encounters a vessel adrift in space that's about to collide with a star.

If you have already abandoned the series because of the terrible third episode, I urge you to watch the 4th episode.

There was a surprise cameo near the end of the episode.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you BDT. This episode touched upon the "Generation Ship" reminiscent of the Robert Heinlien story UNIVERSE, a classic sci-fi story, but with ST:TOS overtones.

More real action and plot, not "preachy" but with a moral aspect and just great effects thrown in!

The surprise cameo was great as well.
Next week's guest star is Chelieze Theron, so it looks like some "A" level stars are interested in getting involved as well.

Best episode yet!!!
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Next week's guest star is Chelieze Theron...

Okay, that settles it for me!

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: