ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Orville (2017)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: The Orville (2017) Reply with quote

The First Trailer for Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek??Spoof The Orville Looks Perfect

When Star Trek Discovery is going to make it to the airwaves is anyone's guess. Until then, though, we've got what looks like the next best thing: Seth MacFarlane's spoof of the franchise, The Orville. Imgur image.

Fox just released the first trailer for the show, which stars MacFarlane and Adrianne Palicki as a divorced couple who are basically Kirk and Spock on a brand new spaceship with a suitably crazy crew. Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

LINK for full story:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-seth-macfarlanes-star-trek-spoof-1795237662

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great - with a guest appearance from Legends of Tomorrow's Victor Garber, even. And co-starring the lovely Adrianne Palicki. "The universe has a crew loose" indeed... Very Happy
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks hysterical! The sets and the FX are amazing!

I think we're finally going to get something as good as Galaxy Quest after all these years.

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First officer, played by Adrianne Palicki.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was talk back in 2015 about GALAXYQUEST, the movie from 1999 being developed as a TV series from Paramount for Amazon TV.

From the costumes this looks like more of a nod in that direction.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else remember "Quark"? The premise seems closer to that, than "Galaxy Quest", except this is suppose to be a 'dramedy", even though the preview is pure comedy.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to refresh my memory with Youtube. I didn't watch it very often. The laugh track kind of defeats the idea that it's a "dramedy" I'm afraid.

____________________ Quark S01E01 - Pilot

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I had to refresh my memory with Youtube. I didn't watch it very often. The laugh track kind of defeats the idea that it's a "dramedy" I'm afraid.

I'm afraid that I may have been unclear. "Quark" was a sitcom, "Orville" was announced to be a 'dramedy'.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After rereading your post, I realized that the mistake was mine. Very Happy

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: USA Today Review: The Orville Reply with quote

Review: Seth MacFarlane's 'Star Trek'-inspired "The Orville" flies off course
Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY

It's clear when watching Seth MacFarlane's new Fox series "The Orville" that the comedian has a lot of affection for Star Trek. It's less clear, however, what exactly he's trying to do with his own space adventure."

The Orville (Sundays, 9 ET/PT, moving to Thursdays, 9 ET/PT, on Sept. 21, ** out of four) appears to be a spoof of the classic sci-fi series with the crass humor he honed on Family Guy and Ted. But the final result is less a parody than a poor knockoff of Trek, an attempt at humorous homage that gets lost in space. ....

BDT: I was hoping to watch this series on free TV rather than pay to watch Star Trek: Discovery

LINK:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/09/06/review-seth-macfarlane-the-orville-star-trek-fox/633304001/
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out this new sci-fi TV show in spite of one review that I read that reports it is awful.

Have to see for myself one way or the other.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first of all, I rather liked the first episode of THE ORVILLE. As we speculated above it seemed more in the vein of GALAXYQUEST than an outright "spoof". The characters actually seemed more real than the uptight upright characters we've come to know in the incarnations of STAR TREK.

I really felt right at home with Seth McFarland's portrayal of the Captain. His rather loose style was a refreshing change from the militaristic rigidity of most starship captains portrayals found in most TV and movie versions of the genre.

Some characters were obvious homages to traditional characters. The robot crewman even sounded like ST-TNG's Data.

The effects were excellent and the designs were interesting as well. Thankfully they do not have a "transporter" so that isn't a convienient method to escape coming up with other interesting ways to solve plot points.

Bottom line.....Not the greatest, but still very enjoyable and interesting without resorting to abject silliness.
Three *** out of four***.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a load of fun, and I'm looking forward to watching it each week! Very Happy

One little science error I'll point out just for the fun of it involved the redwood tree seed they glued to the tip of the time accelerator, which caused serious problems for the bad guys.

The time accelerator made the banana and the poor women age quickly, and we're told that the device speeds up time. Okay, fine.

But speeding up time for a redwood seed would simply produce a very old seed . . . not a full grown tree! A tree needs more than just time to grow to maturity. It needs lots of water and nutrients, too.

Where did all the mass suddenly come from that appeared when the seed "grew"? The device didn't produce mass out of thin air, it just accelerated time.

But the show was good, and I didn't even think of the science error until well after the show was over. Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the time accelerator leeches the mass required from the surrounding environment to balance out whatever is required to avoid the paradox of the predetermined destiny of whatever is within it's field not being achieved. Or, if there is not enough mass it utilizes energy fields nearby to be converted into mass through E=MC2.

Just check out the specifications for the device and you can plainly see how it works!

Simple, huh?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you explain it to me like that, I see my mistake!

I stand corrected, sir! Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: