ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White Rabbit Project (2016 Netflix)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: White Rabbit Project (2016 Netflix) Reply with quote

What a great show!
If you liked MYTHBUSTERS, you'll love this show!

White Rabbit Project is a Netflix series starring Grant Imahara, Tory Belleci, and Kari Byron, the build team from MythBusters, that was released on December 9, 2016. According to the official synopsis, the team investigates topics such as "jailbreaks, superpower technology, heists, and crazy World War II weapons", which they will explore through experiments, builds, and tests.

The show was first announced at DragonCon 2016. The show is produced by John Luscombe, Ryan Senter, and Martyn Ives, who are from Beyond Productions, the production company for Mythbusters. A trailer was released for the series on November 29, 2016

One of the most beloved and wickedly entertaining pieces of pop- culture in recent memory, "Mythbusters" was a small phenomena. Mixing real science with laugh-out-loud humor and an excellent cast of real-life characters, the series thrilled audiences for well over ten years and even after cancellation, it remains a fan-favorite for many a television viewer. So it should come as no surprise that a sort-of spiritual successor or follow-up would happen. And we get that in "White Rabbit Project", an entertaining but sometimes uneven new Netflix series starring the "Mythbusters" build-team of Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara.

While it has a small slew of issues holding it back from sheer perfection, I do think that the show is off to a promising start, has a lot of room to grow, and should it be renewed for a second season, it has the potential to get better and better.

Each episode follows our hosts as they explore and discuss a topic, whether it be comic-book superpowers, long-fabled future-tech or even just real-life scam artists. We explore different aspects and examples of each topic and how they could be recreated in the real world or be accomplished. Along the way, we are treated to friendly banter, the occasional skit and plenty of likable chemistry with our three leads.

I'll definitely admit that perhaps the biggest part of the appeal here is the fact that we've finally rejoined the build-team after their absence in the final episodes of "Mythbusters", and the leftover love for that series that fans have. And it's part of what makes the series all the more palatable even when it falters at time. Byron, Bellaci and Imahara are endlessly likable and entertaining and have an absolutely wonderful sense of companionship on screen. The topics discussed are very fascinating and it's a lot of fun seeing them doing oddball things like turning roaches into technical cyborgs or discussing the topic of heists.
And....It includes the geek-Goddess Kari Byron makes it a winner for me!

But that being said, I can't help but feel that the series is way too unfocused and uneven at times. To the point that some episodes just don't work. The show has a very frenetic pace and it never really stops to let you appreciate the science of what's happening. Therefore it can be hard to really get a handle or invest yourself. I also think there's a bit too much "qwirkiness" and "style" going on for the show's own good.

Yes, it's fun seeing an occasional skit or seeing Grant dress up in a supervillain's outfit. But we don't need a five-minute scene to introduce an episode or a prolonged scripted scene of acting to introduce a segment.

It's just got too much filler. I'd rather see more deliberate and streamlined episodes with a greater focus on and more breathing room for the actual experimentation.

All that aside... it's still a very decent show. Even if abbreviated, the science is fascinating. The topics are often very fun and quite varied. Our hosts are just a blast and a half and are consistently enjoyable to watch. And there's a lot of untapped potential beneath the surface that keeps you invested and hoping for more. So hopefully it'll do well enough to get more episodes ordered.

I know I'd love to see more, and I think newer installments will get progressively better. It might not quite live up to the sheer perfection that was "Mythbusters"... but it's a worthy unofficial follow-up.

"White Rabbit Project" is a solid 7 out of 10 for me.

(Some comments froim Wikipedia and IMDb)
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my lord, how did I overlook Gord Green's terrific thread-starting post . . . five years ago! Shocked

I've never even heard of this series — although in my defense it only ran for ten episodes back in 2016.

But the point here is the Gordon crafted this fine post (with images, something I always love) back when this version of All Sci-Fi was only about a year old and probably only had a few thousand posts.

Now we're eight years old and we've got 35,075 contributions! Shocked

Gord Green has authored 2,730 of those, and he's the second highest contributor to All Sci-Fi!

Here's the official promotional blurb for White Rabbit Project, followed by its very sci-fi sounding title theme! Cool

_______
White Rabbit Project | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

______ Main Theme (From "White Rabbit Project")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: