ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOS season 3 episode 21 - The Cloud Minders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TOS season 3 episode 21 - The Cloud Minders Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The young lady's character is called Droxine — but I think a more fitting name would be . . . Anorexia. Smile

She is a bit on the skinny side, isn't she? Besides, Droxine sounds like a brand of eye drops.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Actor Jeff Corey who portrayed Plasus leader of the Sky City was a highly respected actor & teacher.

Jeff was blacklisted for refusing to name alleged communists in the entertainment industry for the House Un-American Activities Committee.

I know this is a silly idea, but what if all the actors etc. who were questioned by that dumb-ass committee did something like this.

Committee Chair: Can you name all the Hollywood people who are communists?

Witness: No.

Committee Chair: No? You refuse to answer the question?

Witness: I just mean it would take too long.

Committee Chair: Why?

Witness: Hell, because we're ALL communists — the whole damn industry! So, go ahead and blacklist all of us . . . . and then see how long the public will let you assholes stay in office when there are no movies or TV shows being made!
Laughing
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Committee Chair: Can you name all the Hollywood people who are communists?

Witness: No.

Committee Chair: No? You refuse to answer the question?

Witness: I just mean it would take too long.

Committee Chair: Why?

Witness: Hell, because we're ALL communists — the whole damn industry! So, go ahead and blacklist all of us . . . . and then see how long the public will let you assholes stay in office when there are no movies or TV shows being made!
Laughing

Funny bit, but there were relatively few genuine "card-carrying Communists" in the American film industry.

Furthermore, the Un-American Activities Committee didn't actually blacklist anyone -- at least, not directly. The movie industry itself created and perpetuated the blacklist -- although the climate of "Reds under the beds" paranoia was certainly fueled by the HUAC investigations and the subsequent publication of Red Channels.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Channels
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, what I jokingly suggested ignores the true nature of the situation, as you described. That's why I started with, "I know this is a silly idea, but . . . "

But it just struck me as a whimsical way for all those poor filmmakers to avoid refusing to testify, while at the same time not seriously implicating anybody.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: