ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlebots on the Science Channel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Battlebots on the Science Channel Reply with quote

After watching just three episodes of this exciting show, I'm completely hooked. Sadly, ABC has cancelled the show's most recent version after only two seasons, with a total of 16 episodes. Sad

However, the Science Channel started airing them on July 12th, at 10:00pm each Wednesday. Repeat episodes can found at odd times during the week, and often several episodes will be shown in a row, with a full repeats of the whole group coming immediately after the first set.

So, catching up is pretty easy. The first three episodes will be repeated twice on Friday, July 28th!

And just look as some of the great designs!

And the action is AWESOME! Shocked

~ The Space Children (1958)
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the network clowns cancelled this one. I don't have cable or dish, and can't get the Science channel, so I guess that's it for me unless it turns up on Youtube.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this show since it was on broadcast TV. I believe this is the third season.

It's a FAR better show than the stuff they're showing now. Thanks to cable it's still got a shot at life.

Another great robot fighting show was ROBOT COMBAT LEAGUE that was shown on SYFY a couple of years ago.

(Some comments adapted from Wikapedia)

Robot Combat League (RCL) is a television show on the Syfy network about robot fighting competitions. On the show, teams use exosuits to control fighting robots. The series is hosted by Chris Jericho, and premiered on February 26, 2013 at 10 PM EST.

Each weekly show features tournament competitions between 8-foot, 1000-pound humanoid robots controlled by human competitors, one robo-jockey and one robo-tech per team.

The series features twelve teams of individuals from diverse backgrounds. Each team is paired with a robot that they control using an exo-suit that directs its movements. Each fight goes three rounds, and the winning team advances.

There are 12 total robots. The robots range from an axe headed laser eyed warrior to a robot made of plexiglass and a roll cage. The robots and the suits used to control them were created by robotics expert Mark Setrakian

Each team consists of a uniquely themed robot and two human controllers.

One human is the "Robo-Jockey," controlling the robot's arms and torso while standing via an exosuit-like harness strapped to his or her back and arms.

The other human is the "Robo-Tech," seated in a chair while using two joysticks to control the robot's feet and any other unique parts, such as the movable axe "head" on A.X.E.

Each robot is powered by hydraulic and pneumatic actuators. Each robot moves on two feet, stabilized by a bar that attaches at the back of the robot, above the legs.

The robots each have six actuators at the waist, and several more in each arm. The robots are all styled and painted to be unique and distinct from each other. This unique styling is especially expressed in the different types and designs of armor that cover each robot, from sheet steel, to steel pipe roll cages, to carbon fibre, to leather.

The robots' hands are also all individually styled, and can be quickly detached to facilitate repairs between rounds, or swapped out for weapon attachments.

Several cameras may be mounted on each robot by the show staff to capture show footage, but none of the camera images were used to help control of the robot. The robots are controlled by the "Robo-Jockey" and "Robo-Tech" via direct line-of-sight, from two raised platforms at either end of the arena. The initial team seed order was determined by a timed challenge in the first episode.

This is how SYFY describes the show on it's website:

http://www.syfy.com/robotcombatleague

Quote:
"The fusion of a human's fighting spirit with a powerful robotic machine built for destruction has become a reality. This extraordinary series features twelve teams consisting of a fighter (a "robo-jockey") and a robotics engineer (a "robo-tech") from myriad backgrounds including a race car driver, an Olympic athlete, a National Guard helicopter pilot along with a mix of professional fighters and software engineers. Each team is paired with its own unique robot and will fight in a first-of-its kind competition using a high-tech exo-suit that translates their movements to their robot. Each fight consists of three rounds of intense action, with the winning team advancing in the competition."

There are quite a few episodes on Youtube, so if you're a REAL STEEL kind of fan check them out!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to Gord: I LOVED Robot Combat League, but after watching Battlebots today I think I prefer it. The action is faster and much more violent, and the robots' designs show an incredible range!

Note to Steve: I'm sorry to hear you won't get to enjoy it in the immediate future. It's a rip-roaring good time, with the nerds showing their engineering genius in front of a screaming crowd of enthusiastic fans!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know the ABC Battlebots had been cancelled. I liked the show for the robots and for the post-battle commentary by Allison Halislip. I was going to do a Sci-fi cosplay post on her but never got around to it. Imgur images.

Here she is on a G4 show, probably Attack of the Show.

Here she is in a glamour shoot.

And here she is in the Pizza Hut commercial.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABC shows were a lot of fun. As Bud said, lots of high speed violence. My only real complaint, aside from the overabundance of commercial interruptions, was that the complete set of rules were never fully explained. Yes, you could go to the show's web page to see most of the rules, but many requirements and prohibitions should have been mentioned on the air. I was frequently asking myself why the builders had chosen to do things one way, when there seemed to be an obvious better way to get the job done. The answer was usually buried somewhere in the web site's rules.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great robot combat TV show is ROBOT WARS on British TV.

Wikapedia has an extensive entry on it , laying out the episodes, rules etc. This seems to be the "grand daddy" of them all having started in 1998.

Many of the robots have appeared in the current BATTLEBOTS series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Wars_%28TV_series%29

Robot Wars is a robot combat competition that was broadcast on British television from 1998 to 2004 and later since 2016.

The series, centred on the sport of robot combat, involved teams of amateur and professional roboteers operating their own constructed robots to fight against each other in both friendly and tournament matches, whilst also avoiding arena hazards and more powerful "House Robots", which were not bound by the same weight or weapon limits as the contestants.

In 2003, the roboteers themselves formed The Fighting Robot Association and with their associated event organizers, carry on participating in competitions for new audiences.

In 2013, Roaming Robots purchased the rights to the Robot Wars brand from Robot Wars LLC and now operates their travelling robotic combat show under that name.

The use of the name Robot Wars ceased in early 2017, with the shows being renamed Extreme Robots.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impatiently waiting for an "Autonomous Robot Wars" TV show. Now that would be fun.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlebots on the Science Channel continues to be extremely entertaining! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 16th marks the new season of BATTLEBOTS on the Science Channel!

Really looking forward to seeing what's new and what's returning!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our late and sorely missed friend, Bulldogtrekker, loved Battlebots, and we watched every episode of the the show on SyFy while chatting on Facebook.

It will feel strange to watch the new season without him.

MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, not sure if this is the right time for this...

I don't touch Facebook, but I love Battlebots. So, if you want a chat buddy for the new season...I'm available.

My deepest condolences about Bulldogtrekker. I was hoping he'd fight longer. He'll be sorely missed. Sad
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for a BATTLEBOTS chat too!

If you don't like the facebook chat (I don't either.) we could do it on All-Sci-Fi's Chatziy chat. Easy to sign on and a breeeze to do.

Certainly we could do it in honor of our old friend.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I'm up for a BATTLEBOTS chat too!

If you don't like the facebook chat (I don't either.) we could do it on All-Sci-Fi's Chatziy chat. Easy to sign on and a breeeze to do.

Certainly we could do it in honor of our old friend.

I must give credit where credit is due. Metropolly struggled for months to convince me that Chatzy was far better than the Kiwiirc I insisted on using for about a year, despite it's frequent problems.

When Captain Hardhead (aka Bub Brewster) finally relented, Metropolly was proven to be completely right all along.

Live and learn.
Rolling Eyes
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tonight is the season opener for Battlebots, so... are we on for a chat?

Full disclosure, there was a sneak preview on Discovery over the weekend, so I sort of know the lineup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: