ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ready Player One (2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1964, for that entry in the series - well-known for Caesar's dying declaration, "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!" Good to know it was distributed Stateside. While I do have a box set of eighteen "Carry On" movies, I see it doesn't include that one, sigh... Amanda Barrie made a great Cleopatra! Very Happy

Last edited by Custer on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, my favorite of the "Carry on..." series. It was a beautiful blend of musical theatre vaudeville and pseudo-historical parody!

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. But I guess we should get back on topic, with a Looper video that gives us some extra background on the ending of Ready Player One:

_____________________ The Ending Explained

_____

Last edited by Custer on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! Thanks, Custer.

I watched this movie with my daughter and my two grandchildren (ages 8 and 13) during their recent visit, and we loved it. My daughter is actually a member of All Sci-Fi under the name Ticket2themoon, and during the movie I whispered to her several times that the magic phrase used to invoke the force was hauntingly familiar . . . but I could remember what it was from!

After the film, Miss Moon did a bit on web surfing and discovered that I was remembering the spell that Morgana le Fay used in Excalibur.

So, that was one movie/video game reference in Ready Player One that did not go "over my head" figuratively or literally (because of the movie's 3D), even though I needed help from my daughter to fully understand it. Cool

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNT showed this movie recently, and I watched my DVR of it today. What a great movie! I'm so impressed by the fact that an old geezer like Stephen Spielberg was able to create a story for the youth of the 21st Century! Very Happy

While watching the movie, I discovered that the Blu-ray from Amazon is only $7.99! Naturally, I ordered it immediately.

For God's sake, why wouldn't any true fan of science fiction NOT pony up a paltry eight bucks for the BD of this incredible film? Shocked

While watching it I realized that this movie is the Tron of the 21st Century. That's because it tells a tale which involves modern technology, like Tron did in the 1980s — but this movie uses the current technology NOW to create the special effects!

Gentlemen, we must accept the fact that the "world of today" is actually the World of Tomorrow — the same one we all dreamed about when we were kids. Cool

Sadly, those of us who object to the way CGI has replaced the traditional special effects techniques from the past are doing so primarily because of their strong nostalgic feelings for the Good Old Days.

But these folks are robbing themselves of the joy their sons and daughters can feel . . . if these young people have inherited their parent's bright vision of the future.

Gentleman, All Sci-Fi isn't just about the fondly remembered science fiction movies, TV shows, and literature of the past. It's about the bold dreams and visionary concepts of mankind's future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: