ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Follow that Dream (1962)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Follow that Dream (1962) Reply with quote

The Elvis movie that isn't like any other Elvis movie. That's why it's my favorite. Cool

Elvis is cool in all his movies, but he's cool in a whole new way in this one. He's smoother than the fur on a young racoon, and he's as country as home grown ham and farm fresh eggs! Throw in a heap 'a country-fried wisdom and you've got Toby Kwimper, son of
Pop Kwimper — played by Arthur O'Connell in the most endearing role of his career.

Elvis' love interest is played by the very attractive Anne Helm, who somehow manages to get more lovely by the minute from the beginning of this movie until the end. She demonstrates her sweet nature in every scene, and by time Elvis realizes that she'd make the wife every man wants, we're just as in love with her as he is!

Joanna Moore plays an agent from the state welfare department who takes a shine to Elvis while assuming he's just a bumpkin with broad shoulders. This sexy, sweet-talkin' southern gal (a bonafide Georgia peach) is actually a smouldering vixen who does everything she can to seduce the King of Rock 'n Roll.

_____

But Elvis' homespun wisdom isn't fooled by her feminine wiles, and she ends up retreating with her attractive tail tucked between her shapely legs, determined to reap revenge on Elvis and his likeable kinfolk.

The climax involves a very funny trial in which the Kwimper Clan give lessons in savvy jurisprudence to them snooty city folks who want to throw the family off the beach-front property they've legally claimed through the homestead act!

This is the Elvis movie with more heart than Valentine's Day, and more humor than the Think & Grin joke page in the back of a Boy's Life magazine! Very Happy

I received my Blu-ray of this movie today, and even though I'd just watche the DVD-R a few days ago I'd recorded from the MGM channel a few years back, I watched it again.

That's how good it is! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this one in decades, but it is still my favorite Elvis movie. Maybe because I saw it on TV so many times back in the 60s. I know one reason is Arthur O'Connel and his constant unflagging battle to make a working flush toilet. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about this movie is that it treads a fine line between realism and silliness. It never "dumbs down" the story or the characters!

The bank scene 32:00 mark is a perfect example.

Elvis' unfamiliarity with commercial banks causes a misunderstanding when he's mistaken for a desperate bank robber! The bank guards threaten him by drawing their weapons, but Elvis calmly disarms them in a quick, comic, effective manner that increases our admiration for his character!

He's as cool as James Bond . . . without even knowing it! Very Happy

In the middle of crisis, the bank president walks up and calmly defuses the situation, based on the fact that he established a friendship with Elvis the day before on the highway bridge adjacent to the family's homesteaded property when he stopped to watch our hero struggling with a large fish on a cane pole with a diaper pin for hook!

The bank president (played by Herbert Rudley), a fishing enthusiast, is allowed to take the cane pole from Elvis and attempt to land the fish!

This cheerful "bonding experience" comes in handy the next day when Elvis enters the bank and is mistaken for a bank robber. The friendly bank president straightens out the situation in seconds flat and invites our heroes into his office.

Elvis and Anne Helm sit down with the likable bank president to ask for a loan, along with the loan officer (played by Howard McNear, aka Floyd the Mayberry Barber).

Within minutes, Elvis has charmed them both into providing a sizable loan to the family so they can build a dock on their property and buy boats to turn the area into a profitable fishing spot for the local residents!

The entire scene combines practical considerations with colorful characters and humorous situations to give us a wonderfully endearing moment in this unique movie.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charming movie that the whole family can enjoy.

Have to say though that the bank scene, while funny, didn't make a whole lot of sense according to the interior logic of this film.

Why was the character so unfamiliar with a commercial bank in the first place?

He had been in the service we're told. How exactly did he handle his pay if he was not banking his money while he was serving?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't this ironic? Shocked

The bank scene is perhaps my favorite moment in the movie!

Elvis's character responds calmly and efficiently to an emergency situation involving an older bank employee's sudden health problem, and he simply ignores the frantic efforts of several guards who interfere with him while he tries to save the man!

His unfamiliarity with the bank's normal procedures allow him to focus on the irrelevant actions of the people around him and deal with the situation! He's as cool as James Bond! Cool

Watch it again and consider it with my comments in mind.
Very Happy

_________ Elvis Presley from Follow That Dream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: