ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultraviolet (2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Ultraviolet (2006) Reply with quote

Wikipedia says this:

Ultraviolet is a 2006 American science fiction action film written and directed by Kurt Wimmer and produced by Screen Gems. It stars Milla Jovovich as Violet Song and Cameron Bright as Six. It was released in North America on March 3, 2006. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on June 27, 2006.

A novelization of the film was written by Yvonne Navarro, with more back-story and character development. The book differs from the film in a number of ways, including a more ambiguous ending and the removal of some of the more improbable plot twists. An anime movie titled Ultraviolet: Code 044 was released by the Japanese anime satellite television network Animax, and created by Madhouse.

My opinion, based on this is:

I get the impression that this movie contains lots of slow motion actions scenes because (a) folks just love those slow motion action scenes, and (b) when you got a drop-dead gorgeous action/adventure character leaping around in a skimp costume you just can't hold the camera on her too long.

Wiki describes the plot like this -- although this an abbreviated version:

Ultraviolet takes place in 2078, in the years following a global epidemic that causes vampire-like symptoms, including super-human strength and elongated canines. The infected "hemophages" die within twelve years after being infected. The Archministry, a militant medical group headed by Vice-Cardinal Ferdinand Daxus (Nick Chinlund), took control of the government and began rounding up infected citizens and exterminating them in order to contain the virus.

Having been infected a decade earlier, Violet Song (Milla Jovovich) has become a member of an underground resistance fighting to protect the hemophages from the government. Working with the resistance, Violet steals a weapon that was apparently created to exterminate all hemophages, only to discover that it is a young boy named "Six" (Cameron Bright). Rather than kill the child, Violet flees with the boy, believing that a cure for the disease can be reverse-engineered from the antigens before he dies from them.

I haven't seen this movie, so my remarks are based on the above info.

The Wiki synopsis makes the movie sound interesting. Can anyone who's seen it recommend this one?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see this on opening day because Milla-with-a-Sword.

I remember almost nothing about it but Milla-with-a-Sword.

Something about vampires, but not really?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of thread on All Sci-Fi doesn't have the trailer for the movie? Shocked

I demand to speak to man in charge of this board! Bring me his head on a spike! Evil or Very Mad

________________ Ultraviolet (2006) - Trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 31 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Milla Jovovich has disowned the film.

Note from me: That certainly isn't a strong recommendation from the star of this movie. Sad

~ Against the wishes of director Kurt Wimmer, the film was completely re-edited by the studio after they saw the original version which they apparently did not like; they saw it as 'too emotional' for the action film they were expecting and re-edited it so there would be more of an emphasis on the action and to cut it down to a PG-13 rating. The edition shortened the film from its original length of 120 minutes to 88 minutes. The director was quite angry about the edition, and many fans agree that it lowered the quality of the film significantly. An extended version of the film was later released with 6 additional minutes increasing the runtime to 94 minutes.

Note from me: Ah-ha. That's probably why Miss Jovovich wasn't too happy about the movie.

~ According to Rotten Tomatoes, Jovovich was not pleased with the PG-13 rated release print. She stated that she had been locked out of discussions of the film in the editing stages, and had not been allowed to see her own performance, which she felt might have been improved if she had had some input.

Note from me: Another reason why Milla "disowned" the movie.

~ While on the set, Kurt Wimmer asked Milla Jovovich to punch him, in order to get a feel for the intensity she was putting in her action sequences. For the next several days, Wimmer directed the film with a black eye.

Note from me: Nobody can accuse Milla of "hitting like a girl". Laughing

~ Milla Jovovich's character uses a more authentic variant of "Gun Kata", a unique blend of gunfighting and martial arts developed by director Kurt Wimmer for his previous film Equilibrium (2002).

Note from me: I enjoyed the "Gun Kata" scenes in Equilibrium. I might watch this one, now that I know it's flawed and I shouldn't expect too much. Very Happy

~ A novelization of the film was written by Yvonne Navarro, with more back-story and character development. The book differs from the film in a number of ways, including a more ambiguous ending and the removal of some of the more improbable plot twists. The novel retains the plot development that was removed from the original cut of the film.

Note from me: Good for Miss Navarro. Maybe I'll read the book first so the movie won't confuse me as much.

~ A fictional Asian race in the film speak a fictional language (which is actually Vietnamese) known as Thaihindi and Violet is fluent in the language and thus is able to communicate with them. Coincidentally, Milla Jovovich also had to learn a fake language in another science fiction film The Fifth Element (1997).

Note from me: Until I read this, I didn't know that the redhead in The 5th Element was the star of this movie!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: