ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Predestination (2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Predestination (2014) Reply with quote

I haven't seen this movie, and I'm a little puzzled by IMDB's brief synopsis.

PREDESTINATION chronicles the life of a Temporal Agent sent on an intricate series of time-travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity. Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.

If the Temporal Agent is on journeys "designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity", then how can he be on "his final assignment"?

The second synopsis isn't contradictory.

For his final assignment, a top temporal agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time. The chase turns into a unique, surprising and mind-bending exploration of love, fate, identity and time travel taboos.

Has anybody seen this movie? Is it good?

___________________ Predestination - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Predestination (2014) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Has anybody seen this movie? Is it good?

This is another movie I own. I had to rewatch it a couple times to fully (or at least adequately) grasp what was going on.

The plot can't be described in depth because that would constitute a spoiler. It's a good time travel yarn because of the intertwining of the time threads and their cause-effect relationships.

I don't know what that "time-travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity" in the plot summary (not synopsis) is all about. Maybe I missed the "all eternity" aspect in the first four viewings.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to find a website that explains the difference between a synopsis and summary, but they all say this, one way or another.

Summary vs Synopsis

• Synopsis, summary, précis, gist, abstract etc are all shortened and condensed versions of a long story or play.

• Both synopsis and summary retain the viewpoint of the author, but a summary is very short, may be a page or two long but synopsis can be at times 25-30 pages long.”

Synopsis

Synopsis is more or less the same as a summary as it has been defined in various dictionaries as an outline, condensation, or even summary of the main points of a work, book or an article. Synopsis carries the gist of a work of prose without presenting the viewpoint of the writer of the synopsis.

I'm not trying to contradict you, Wayne, I'm just puzzled about the difference, which seems to be little more than the fact that a summary "is very short, may be a page or two long" and a synopsis "can be 25-30 pages long."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Being based on the short story All You Zombies by Robert A. Heinlein https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies should give you a clue that it is very complicated — and weird.

It was loosely inspired by the song I'm My Own Grandpa (Ignore the commercial).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjd__U9RhkI

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard that song years ago and loved it. Brilliant lyrics, and it actually makes sense, but you have to study the lyrics and think it through slowly. Very Happy

Here's a wonderful Ray Stevens version that's slower and easier to follow, plus it has a family tree diagram! And ray really sells the humor of the song in his own unique way.

I'm My Own Grandpa - Ray Stevens (with family tree diagram)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: