ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) Reply with quote

Amicus' Tardis is blown off course.

I feel I have to put a disclaimer here. I am not a hardcore Dr. Who fan.

I grew up with Pertwee and Baker, and I loved them. After that I hit puberty and the good Doctor left my own personal universe. So, basically I want to say that I view this picture as a film lover, not as some serio Dr. Who fan. Thus I ask, just how did Amicus get it so wrong?

Oh, it really isn't as awful as some Who fans have painted it, and by "painted" I mean spittle daubed venom! But it looks like Amicus has tried to reinvent Dr. Who about 25 years before he needed reinventing.

I mean, I realize it's a show involving time travel, but Amicus' Tardis is just a bit too early! They have taken two of Britain's most beloved entertainers and made one a bumbling comedy side-kick (Castle as Ian), and the other a doddering old eccentric granddad type (Cushing as the Doctor). Fair enough. Cushing's Doctor is a genius, we know and understand that. But if you take away the Tardis invention, then this could be any old geezer in a sci-fi movie.

Things are further muddied by lack of screen time for Cushing. He is strangely secondary here.

It's a good job the two girls playing his nieces (Jennie Linden and Roberta Tovey). They get good characterizations to work from, and that the Daleks are a colourful and dastardly foe.

Sir Peter of the Who is jostling for attention in a film that bears his character's name. The irritants continue when you reach the end credits and the action quota amounts to being very little. It's safe to say the stunt department and director Gordon Flemyng's camera were not required to work over time.

On the plus side, the production design, considering the low end budget, is visually impressive. The outer lands of the Dalek's planet Skaro is very striking, with green tints and scorched plant life. The interiors are suitably metallic in feel, plenty of odd angles, though you will have to ignore parts of the set flapping about when they aren't meant too.

The Thal race of beings that enter the story are interestingly costumed and made up, preempting Glam Rock by a few years.

And those Daleks — forever assured and entering the villain stratosphere — really do rock with their staccato voices. But ultimately the film feels like such a waste of talent and source material, so much so that not even a casual Dr. Who fan can proclaim it a worthy spin on this particular practitioner. 5/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late-comer to the Whovian universe, and I truly appreciate the info. Thanks, Dr. Spike!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daleks and the sets look great.

Cushing is Cushing, though I dislike how he latched onto the absent-minded professor part of Hartnell without including much of Hartnell's strength of character. He says, "Well, there's nothing we can do" quite too frequently for my taste, too.

The change in Barbara and Susan's characters works fine, though I strongly dislike this version of Ian. The cowardly, clumsy, slapstick persona is not funny at all.

I wonder what I would have thought had I seen this one for the first time without knowing anything about the show?
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fault was with Milton Subotsky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Subotsky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: