ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Jerry Pournelle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Jerry Pournelle Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sci-fi-author-tech-advocate-012900671.html

The science fiction and technology worlds are poorer off this weekend, as author Jerry Pournelle has died at 84 after a sudden illness. He was best-known for collaborating with Larry Niven on classic novels like The Mote in God's Eye, but he's equally known as a strong advocate for technology and spaceflight. Significantly, he's widely credited as the first major author to write a published novel entirely on a computer. He bought an extremely expensive ($12,000 in 1977 dollars) machine anticipating that it would let him edit and correct mistakes far more quickly than with a typewriter. While it's virtually a given that authors will write with computers these days, Pournelle spurred many of his peers to buy PCs and ultimately usher in an era of digital writing.

His involvement wasn't confined to the literary space, either. He was in charge of the Reagan administration's Citizens Advisory Council on National Space Policy, and momentarily worked with Senator Newt Gingrich. In the last years of his life, he was also a frequent commentator on technology issues. He was a frequent guest on the TWiT network's technology podcasts, for example.

Pournelle wasn't without controversy. He was both praised and criticized for helping to spark the military sci-fi genre, rather than embracing a more hopeful view of the future. However, there's little doubt that he played important roles in not only popularizing sci-fi, but linking that passion to real-world advocacy.

JerryPournelle.com
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Pournelle will be missed.

I've read several of Pournelle's collaborations with Niven, and this one is definitely my favorite.

The scene in which the starship moves quickly from in front of an approaching solar sail spacecraft to behind it simply by punching through the thin solar sail material is just one example of the clever ways the co-authors made the novel exciting.

Of course, the idea that the Mote aliens were faced with a critical overpopulation problem because they were biologically incapable of NOT reproducing was intriguing. Niven and Pournelle definitely "thought outside the box", which is what made them so great.

Naturally the first thing we all thought about was this novel when the Hubble Telescope's image of the Helix Nebula was released . I'm sure Niven and Pournelle were pleased as punch by this picture. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: