ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Island (2005)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: The Island (2005) Reply with quote

Lincoln Six Echo and the Utopian Redemption.

Lincoln Six Echo is having vivid dreams about a past existence. Here in this Utopian society, he's starting to question the function of his world.

In this perfectly formed existence, the inhabitants dream of winning the lottery. The prize is be relocated to a paradise known as The Island.

But after stumbling onto something sinister, Lincoln escapes with fellow inmate Jordan Two Delta. The consequences for both of them are as dangerous as it is for the rulers of this strange and intriguing place.

If you are entering a movie that is directed by Michael Bay, then one can reasonably assume you know what you are going to get — explosions, ear splitting sound mix, and a host of carnage set pieces.

His formula works, and largely his efforts have entertained the popcorn masses. So it's interesting to find that The Island does have some intellectual nous in amongst the Bayhem for which the director is famous. Working from an interesting cloning story written by Caspian Tredwell-Owen (though the similarities to Robert Fiveson's The Clonus Horror resulted in a law suit), The Island is a highly engrossing sci-fi film.

Certainly the ethics of the story's core are worth scrutinizing.

One of course can argue that Bay was the wrong director for such interesting material. And yes, it's a point to note that the characters and plot arcs are not given any depth or a serious second glance.

But really, we are here for the bang to go with the buck. are we not?

Ewan McGregor (Lincoln) and Scarlett Johansson (Jordan) play it just about right. Bemusement of their situation is coupled with daring do heroics, while suitably tongue in cheek performances come from Sean Bean, Djimon Hounsou and a picture-stealing Steve Buscemi.

The Island is not a film that is easy to recommend, because it can frustrate as much as it entertains. But entertain it does, and with big screen TVs and glorious home cinema a staple requirement for the movie fanatic, The Island is something of an essential purchase.

Check out the highly octane courageousness of the road pursuit here, fabulous thru the speakers!

A serious topic given a nonsense sheen for sure — but hell, what a blast it is! 7/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, I just received the following email from Netflix:

Dear valued customer,

We recommend that your Netfilx queue contain at least six movies so that we can facilitate, without delay, the delivery of the DVDs you wish to enjoy.

Recently your queue has contained fewer than six titles, and sometimes it has been completely empty for as long as a week at a time.

However, in the past week we noticed you've added movies on a regular basis, and we think it's because The Spike recommended movies you'd forgotten about or were unaware of.

Please thank him on our behalf. Frankly, we were concerned. We thought maybe you'd died or something.

Sincerely,

Netflix general manager in charge of possibly deceased customers.

(The Island is now on my Netflix list. I'd forgotten about it since seeing it in 2007.) -- Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Spike, I just received the following email from Netflix:

Dear valued customer,

We recommend that your Netfilx queue contain at least six movies so that we can facilitate, without delay, the delivery of the DVDs you wish to enjoy.

Recently your queue has contained fewer than six titles, and sometimes it has been completely empty for as long as a week at a time.

However, in the past week we noticed you've added movies on a regular basis, and we think it's because The Spike recommended movies you'd forgotten about or were unaware of.

Please thank him on our behalf. Frankly, we were concerned. We thought maybe you'd died or something.

Sincerely,

Netflix general manager in charge of possibly deceased customers.

(The Island is now on my Netflix list. I'd forgotten about it since seeing it in 2007.) -- Bud

You can't see me right now but I'm doing a happy dance! Very Happy
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me at "Scarlett Johansson".

Why have I not seen this one, again?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trailer for a fun movie. It reminded me how much this movie has in common with Logan's Run. Very Happy

____________ The Island (Official Trailer 2005)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Island (2005) Reply with quote

The Spike wrote:
In this perfectly formed existence, the inhabitants dream of winning the lottery. The prize is be relocated to a paradise known as The Island.

At the risk of making a rather obvious observation, The Island shares a few common elements with Logan's Run.

Consider the similarities.

A utopian society which is sealed off from an allegedly poisonous outside world, an attractive young couple who discover part of the truth, a desperate attempt to escape, a long journey that brings them to an individual who reveals the lies, and the return to the sealed utopian society to expose the lies and free all the deluded inhabitants.

Of course, there are many differences between the two movies, but I just thought is was interesting that they shared common story elements.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: