ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CGI special effects versus the classic style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: CGI special effects versus the classic style Reply with quote

Here's just a quick thought to give the newly restored All Sci-Fi a few posts to stimulate discussions.

I've decided that I disagree with the folks who still criticize CGI special effects and hold the old style "practical FX" in high regard (for mostly nostalgic reasons).

The dazzling FX being done today are a lot more exciting than the stuff we adored as kids — even the ones from the Oscar-winning movies! Those movie-makers did their best with the methods at their disposal, but I prefer FX that look so real they're indistinguishable from reality — especially when they present a very aesthetically pleasing but artistically stylized version of reality!

Movies today look the way my imagination presented the scenes in the great novels and short stories I read. And that's what I want to see on the movie screen . . . not just noble attempts to make models and miniatures sets appear to be the awesome scenes which the great sci-fi authors described.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to believe that the attraction that tangible miniatures hold for their devotees boils down to one or more of the following:

1. A wish to someday own a screen-used miniature from a favorite film;

2. A desire to build one's own replica of a filming miniature, with studio reference photos and possibly blueprints to accomplish this;

3. A dream of someday being hired to build miniatures for filming;

4. Being able to pick up a fan magazine and read the Behind-The-Scenes story of the second unit production, complete with copious photos and secrets of the SFX masters;

5. An aspiration to film one's own home production using home-built props and miniatures.

Oh, and one more...
6. The profit motive: Building and selling replica miniatures and props.

Speaking for myself, more than one of these has inspired me at some time in the distant past. Nowadays, however, I'm given over to marveling at what imaginative concepts and effects can be accomplished with CGI.

~~~~~~
Edit 17 Feb: Added #6

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I generally dislike CGI in films, my reasons are more to do with modern film makers using CGI as a "cure" for bad scripts and lazy filmmaking.

When used properly, to enhance a good story it works.

Case in point the John Carter of Mars movie, a very film that could not have been made without CGI. The basic story was very good and the CGI took a back seat to the story.

Ex Machina is another example of balanced CGI.

The JJ Abrams movies are an example of the opposite, The Story is sacrificed for the sake of big, flashy CGI.

If a movie is a CGI vehicle, just one great CGI effect after another for the sake of flashy, empty filmmaking I'm out.

Give me "A new Hope" "The Empire Strikes Back"
"Close Encounters" or "Bladerunner" Over almost any new blockbuster.

I actively seek out Non CGI movies. "The Need for Speed" "Baby Driver" are good examples of Non Sci Fi movies that went back to old school effects instead of CGI and did it successfully. Story and Acting center stage.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like old-school effects — physical miniatures, stop-motion animation, matte paintings, optical composites — there's good and bad CGI. When overused, the effect can be unsettling — everything looks real, but not quite real. Something you can't quite put your finger on looks off-kilter.

mach7 wrote:
While I generally dislike CGI in films, my reasons are more to do with modern film makers using CGI as a "cure" for bad scripts and lazy filmmaking.

Last edited by scotpens on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie Moon (2009) is an example of using miniatures with minimal or no CGI where CGI was unnecessary.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOON worked well without CGI because the story drove the film and didn't rely on effects. Look at the plethora of movies immediately post STAR WARS that basically had NO plot, but loads of bad effects.

CGI works great if it's in support of a well conceived story or is simply the best way to portray the concepts like in JURASSIC PARK.

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, Moon is a very good example.

If someone ever gets around to making a film of Ringworld it would have to be heavily CGI based.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: