ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Big Hand for the little Lady (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: A Big Hand for the little Lady (1966) Reply with quote

"A Big Hand for the little Lady" is a western comedy from 1966, with a big name cast.

Here is the plot from Wikipedia, but not the whole plot. You REALLY need to see the movie to appreciate it. Those who have seen it will know what I mean:

The five richest men in the territory gather in Laredo for their annual high-stakes poker game. The high rollers let nothing get in the way of their yearly showdown. When undertaker Tropp (Charles Bickford) calls for them in his horse-drawn hearse, cattleman Henry Drummond (Jason Robards) forces a postponement of his daughter's wedding, while lawyer Otto Habershaw (Kevin McCarthy) abandons his closing arguments in a trial, with his client's life hanging in the balance. They are joined by Wilcox (Robert Middleton) and Buford (John Qualen) in the back room of Sam's saloon, while the curious gather outside for occasional reports.

Settler Meredith (Henry Fonda), his wife Mary (Joanne Woodward), and their young son Jackie (Gerald Michenaud) are passing through, on their way to purchase a farm near San Antonio, when a wheel on their wagon breaks. They wait at Sam's while the local blacksmith repairs it. Meredith, a recovering gambler, learns of the big poker game and begins to feel the excitement once again. During a break, Otto Habershaw catches a glimpse of Mary in her violet dress. Being so enchanted by her, he permits Meredith's request to watch the game only if Mary allows him. The newcomer buys into the game, eventually staking all of the family savings, meant to pay for a home.

The game builds to a climactic hand; the gamblers raise and re-raise until more than $20,000 is in the pot. Meredith, out of cash, is unable to call the latest raise. Under the strain, he collapses. The town physician, Joseph "Doc" Scully (Burgess Meredith), is called to care for the stricken man. Barely conscious, Meredith signals for his wife to play out the hand.

Taking his seat, Mary asks, "How do you play this game?"

The synopsis HAS to be short so as not to spoil, or ruin the enjoyment of this great film.

David.

Last edited by Krel on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie many years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember a little about the imaginative ending, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Thanks for the great review! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation!
I found a download of it and I'll watch it in the next few days. Seems to be a movie chock packed with top-notch people!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: