ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Sci-Fi is back . . . on MY OWN server at last!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: All Sci-Fi is back . . . on MY OWN server at last! Reply with quote

In this first new post on All Sci-Fi after I managed to rescue it from that strange man (Sean Everett) who deleted it from his father's server, I just thought I'd reassure our loyal members that All Sci-Fi is back and finally on a server that I am in complete control of! Very Happy

This is the first time that has been the case since the original version was created in 2006 — and then recreated three different times since then!

No longer are we dependent on "free forums" or generous friends like Randy who wanted to keep the board up and running.

The server which All Sci-Fi is now located on is in my name, paid for my me, and fully funded for the next two years! Very Happy

Concerning our recent problems with a certain person who tried to destroy All Sci-Fi, have any of you ever wondered what Sean Everett looks like?

If so, here's his Facebook picture.

Just for comparison, here's my own Facebook picture.

Be honest, folks. Which of us would you buy a used car from? Wink

Bringing the board back from the dead was no easy task. I spent two weeks in January exchanging persuasive messages with the good folks at the web host known as Servage One to convince them that Randy Everett had passed away and that they were not violating they're security policies by giving me the database for All Sci-Fi from Randy's server so I could restore the board on my own server.

Day after day I offered them logical reasons for why I was entitled to have the database. They were polite and sympathetic, but they declined my requests over and over again.

Just when I thought my cause was lost, I sent them the link to Randy's official obituary to confirm that they're customer had indeed passed away back in May, 2017. When they finally verified this sad fact, my request to be given the database to this board was granted!

After the data was downloaded to my own server account, our new technical support expert (Raj Patel) went to work installing All Sci-Fi right here on my very own server!

It was a long and difficult process which required some assistance from Servage One, our web host, but they were eager to help. And Raj was diligent and determined. He proved himself worthy of our confidence that All Sci-Fi will be skillfully maintained in the future.

With that in mind, I'm proud to announce that Sean's vicious attempt to destroy All Sci-Fi has completely failed, and we are back on the web . . . and better than ever. Raj Patel has restored the board after struggling for several weeks to discover what custom changes Randy made to the original PHPbb program he used for All Sci-Fi. Raj has to reverse engineer the customized version of PHPbb through trial and error. That's why the board has up and down the last several weeks.

But today he succeeded, and All Sci-Fi is back!

For me this is a dream come true. At last my message board is completely under my control and no longer in danger of being lost because it's being hosted by someone else.

There are still a few glitches in All Sci-Fi which need to be fixed by me and Raj (such as punctuation marks which were scrambled when the database was imported from Randy's server and now incorrectly appear like this — ???), but our members finally have access to the board and all the threads from its previous version!

If you encounter any problems, please send me a PM and I'll alert Raj immediately. Very Happy

Welcome to the New All Sci-Fi — the first version since it was created in 2006 which relies on absolutely no one other the Bud Brewster (with valuable help from Raj) for its existence!

Damn, it feels SO good to say that! Cool

Ticket2theMoon
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUYS!! I’m so glad to see the forum back up and on secure footing. I just know that ASF is going to be better than ever. Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phoenix has once again risen from the ashes of the abyss! Some have tried to destroy her, either by neglect or wrath and malice, but she has a mighty spirit !

Last edited by Gord Green on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I couldn't be happier the site is back up and running.

However, I feel I must stick up for the sake of compassion.
Please, don't take out your frustrations on Sean Everett.

Yes, he caused some problems, but as I said to Bud at one point, he may have had reasons to act the way he did, and losing your temper, or badmouthing him when he's not present to defend himself is just not in keeping with the maturity and intelligence I always credited this site with.

Yes, let's celebrate the site's back, but don't ruin your joy with petty anger. It's in the past. Leave it there.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His "reasons to act the way he did" were quite simple.

He's nothing but a nasty, selfish little twerp who refused to even answer the numerous request I sent him to move All Sci-Fi to my own server, even when his own mother asked him to do so!

I tried for months to get help from Sean, but he didn't give a damn about the message board which his own father loved and supported for years!

There's no excuse for what he did, and there's certainly no excuse for the viscous and insulting things he posted about me on the former site of All Sci-Fi, falsely accusing me of "harassing" his family — when all I ever did was send them extremely polite Facebook messages thanking them for allowing the board to stay on Randy's server, and asking for help to relocate the message board to my own server.

Without their permission, Servage One wouldn't give me the board's database!

During all that time, Sean never answered ANY of my messages and he never answered ANY of my phone calls.

But 24 hours after his mother generously paid the rental feel on Randy's server to get All Sci-Fi back on line after the service was suspended because Mrs. Everett forgot to pay the fee, Sean suddenly decided to just wipe if off the server completely!

And then he publicly humiliated me by posting a long and vicious message (right under the All Sci-Fi banner, or God's sake!) which made completely false accusations about me on the very site of the board his father had generously hosted for five years!

That crazy man doesn't deserve one ounce of consideration, and I went through hell to save All Sci-Fi after he maliciously tried to wipe it out of existence.

Polly, your tender defense of Sean is entirely misplaced. What he did was cruel and completely unjustified. If Randy Everett were still alive today and knew what his son had done, he'd be ashamed to of him.

Please don't try to defend Sean Everett my board, Polly. He doesn't deserve it.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Sean did was childish and dispicable.

That being said I think he deserves more our pity than condemnation.

What demons drove his actions can never be known, but that he felt compelled to do what he did can't be denied.

I can see no logical reason behind his actions....but that is exactly the explanation for them. He acted totaly out of emotion and not reason. In his confused mind he was defending his fathers memory. His post explaining his actions showed his total misunderstanding of Bud's actions to resserect the site. His meandering rant was the action of a hurt and confused child. More the pity.

Of course I think he was terribly wrong....but ...who can get inside another's mind and understand? That is the reason behind our political and religious struggles today as it has been since the beginning of our species.

The point of it all is in spite of it all Randy's spirit has persevered and his legacy remains intact. Bud has gone to efforts to insure that Randy's contributions are not only presented, but respected.

Take joy in that....and leave the rest in silence.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd better try a test, so here's a nice calming view of the River Test...

Has that punctuation-substitution glitch been cured now? I noticed that the little diamond-shapes were replaced by two or three question marks, have they departed now as well? I haven't done a methodical search, but I've not seen any in posts of mine I've come across recently.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been helping to fix those pesky "???" in older posts.
I've completed a few pages so far and hope to get them all done shortly. It's just a time consuming effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: