ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monster Match #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Monster Match #1 Reply with quote

______________________MONSTER MATCH #1

Thought I'd try something a bit different with this. There wasn't much response on the old board and Bud had planned a detailed response post which never happened; so, here's another stab at it. This goes back to stuff like King Kong vs. Godzilla, from 50 years ago, so it's nothing new (also, this is like a 50-year anniversary recognition of that famous monster mash).

We all wonder, don't we, what would happen if one famous character from one film would tangle with another famous film character. Lately, we've been getting stuff like Alien vs. Predator. Well, for my first Monster Match, I picked one which would never happen on film, even though they were kind of film contemporaries, but we can wonder... what would happen if:

_________________ROBBY the ROBOT vs. the YMIR!

IN THIS CORNER: ROBBY the ROBOT

7' tall; 800 lbs. of stainless steel and other super-plastic, high-tech defensive/offensive weaponry; immense mechanized strength (can lift a house off its foundation); film credits: Forbidden Planet (56);The Invisible Boy (57); several guest spots in TV series, i.e.Lost in Space

AND IN THIS CORNER: the YMIR

12' tall (OK,this is before it reached its full height,about the point it took on an elephant); one ton of scaly Venusian fury, tough alligator-like hide can resist small-caliber bullets; film credits: 20 Million Miles to Earth (57).

OK, I admit, I picked these two for the first Match because they were able to pose for me and begin the battle as I documented it. So what do ALL Sci-Fi's members think?

How would it go, and who would win?

___________________LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this one is tough to call, but if we allow Robby to do what he did in the poster for the The Invisible Boy (not mention what he did in the movie), I think he'd kick the Ymir's Venusian ass!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bog, I matched you taking Robby's side. Then it ended when Robby teleported. This surprised you because you forgot that Robby teleported near the end of The Invisible Boy.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha, but the Ymir suddenly recalls the wrestling holds he learned while battling the elephant!

Once the Battling Beast from Venus has a solid half-Nelson on Robby, his teleportation abilities are disabled and he topples to the ground. (Some sports commentators have attributed Robby's fall to the drinking problem he picked up from a friend name Frankie Carpenter, but this has not been substantiated).

Fortunately, the bell rings, the round ends, and Robby goes to his corner. There his fight manager, Timmie, is able to recharge the Reckless Wrestling Robot's power cells.

Round 2 is seconds away from starting. The Ymir is scarfing down sulfur like it's Budweiser on "Free Beer Night" at a tavern called Duffy's Revenge. Soon he'll be at full strength and ready to rumble!

And then it happens!

* CLANG! *

The bell rings out clear and loud, the crowd goes wild, and the combatants charge out of their corners, determined to destroy their opponent!

Oh my God, folks! I can't look! I'm gonna cover my eyes. Just tell me what's happening! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby puts the Ymir to sleep and teleports HE/or/SHE/IT to a secure and safe location.

TIME OUT FOR COMMENTARY (colorful)

Have either coffee of tea (Robby's serving).

If Robby were to be completely recharged he could simply stop the Ymir without hurting HE/or/SHE/IT [say that fast!] {Dr. Ike's Patented Robotic Laws} with his "beams".

Are you sure you want to go in this direction?

Resume contest.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the English language desperately needs a gender-neutral personal pronoun. He/she/it is cumbersome, and if you say it too fast, it sounds like you're sayiing a guy just took a dump! Shocked

For the purposes of this discussion, the Ymir is a he.

And a little known fact about him is that he's intelligent. He was less than a week old when he battled a full grown Indian elephant and kicked his fat gray ass, and then he had sense enough to seek higher ground when battling armed soldiers with heavy weaponry, soldiers who should have been smart enough not to blow apart Rome's most valuable tourist attractions!

So, the Ymir is clearly more intelligent than Italian soldiers, for whatever that's worth . . .

Therefore, the bright young Ymir realizes that Robby's monkey-repelling beams and energy-draining rays have an Achilles heel; although they can definitely shoot horizontally, and they can probably shoot downward, it doesn't seem likely they can shot upward at a significant angle.

And, like Anakin Skywalker learned the hard way, an opponent who has the high ground can leave his foe serious short handed. So, Mr. Ymir takes to the hills and reconnoiters the field of battle.

Meanwhile, Robby is at the bottom of the hill, desperately trying to convince these Italian soldiers that the structure at the top of the hill is not the Eiffel Tower and he presents no threat to treasured tourist attractions like some people we could name! Shocked

And so, for the moment, there's a lull in the battle while the two titans of sci-fi formulate their next battle strategies!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby uses his pacifier beams and puts the Ymir to sleep, after which he turns the dangerous creature over to Dr. Leonardo and his team of Italian exobiologist, who keep it sedated with electricity.

However, an unexpected mishap shorts out the power supply, and the creature awakens. (Click on the picture to view the news footage obtained by the reporters who were present).

The Venusian escapes, but the alien beast discovers that Earth animals don't take kindly to outsiders. While the Ymir goes 1-on-1 with a pissed-off pachyderm in the City of Caesars —

— Robby beats a hasty retreat to rustle up some reinforcements!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In honor of our late co-site administer, Bogmeister (who passed away in 2015), and the return of Robert "Butch" Day (who has been absent for several months because of medical problems), I thought I would revive this imaginative thread which Butch and I had fun adding to after Bogmeister created it back in December of 2013 when he was contributinjg new threads to the version of All Sci-Fi which Randy created several months before the “old board” had even crashed and ceased to exist!

If you’ll look at the date of the first reply, which was mine, I didn’t even add to the thread until Decimeter 4th, 2014 — almost a full year later! Shocked

But Butch added his reply just 30 minutes later the same day. And then the thread languished for a year until I added another reply on January 22nd, 2016. Butch, however, was again quick to reply with his own contribution that same day. Very Happy

He and I both hope that other All Sci-Fi members will join the fun and add their own ideas. This crazy concept is just perfect for sci-fi fans who love both Robby and the Ymir — the most unlikely combatants in the history of the genre.

But that, of course, is what makes the challenge so much fun.

I’ll be working on my next contribution this weekend, and I hope I’ll be joined by other All Sci-Fi members who enjoy flexing their “imagination muscles” with ideas! Cool

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a new "twist" Gort told both parties to ALL Sci-FI's bar to peacefully talk out their differences.

Under the guidance of Klaatu, the Ymir has gone to school and Robby has re-created and maintains the Krell knowledge library. It should be available to everyone this summer. (This includes the Plastic Educator with new safety limits to hopefully prevent a re-occurrence of the Altair IV disaster!)

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Once the Battling Beast from Venus has a solid half-Nelson on Robby, his teleportation abilities are disabled and he topples to the ground. (Some sports commentators have attributed Robby's fall to the drinking problem he picked up from a friend name Frankie Carpenter, but this has not been substantiated).

I thought Frankie Darro was the one who had a problem with the bottle.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie Darro is the only name credited by IMDB as the operator of Robby, but we all know that Frankie Carpenter had a scenes in the suit as well — one of which I believe was the shot of Robby exiting his vehicle.

If I'm remembering correctly, according to the CineFantastique article (and a story told by Anne Francis in several interviews), Carpenter had a "three martini lunch" and was not to steady on his feet during that scene. In fact, he actually pitched forward and almost crashed Robby to the ground before a team of grips rushed forward to catch him.

After that, Robby was inhabited by Darro for the rest of the movie. I spend an hour trying to find the description of the event in the Cinefastique article butch posted, but I could not for the life of me find the damn thing!

Click on the link above and perhaps you'll have better luck than I did. Just zoom in on the text of the article and it becomes reasonably legible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: