ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Curse of Sean Everett" is being removed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: The "Curse of Sean Everett" is being removed! Reply with quote

One of the many problems that was caused by the despicable son of our late friend Randy Everett when he forced us to recreated All Sci-Fi by having the PHPbb software installed on my own server by Mr. Raj Patel, and also having the old board's database imported from the web host — Servage One — was the unfortunate way that several punctuation marks (principally quotation marks, apostrophes, and em dashes) were changed into this — ??? — in many of our posts.

Fixing the hundreds of ??? one-by-one is very time consuming, even with the help of Gord Green and Bulldogtrekker, whom I've promoted to moderators to assist me.

However, we've made significant progress, and I'm proud to announce that today I corrected all 54 pages of the posts in our Forbidden Planet thread! Very Happy

I'd like to remind our members that their help in correcting those annoying ??? within their own existing posts would be greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile, The ASF-Team will continue our courageous efforts to purge the board and remove The Curse of Sean Everett, so that if he ever discovers that he failed completely in this disgraceful effort to destroy All Sci-Fi and erase his father's legacy, he won't even be able to gloat over a minor victory like marring our invaluable comments with those damn ???! Cool

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud

ASF was down all day yesterday (3-1-2018). My computer, anyway, was not able to access it at all. I was hoping that Sean had not figured out a way to sabotage your recent reboot efforts, and apparently he has not, since you're online again today. But can you explain to us what happened? Or was it just a problem with my computer?

Whatever the cause was, I'm happy to see that ASF still exists.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest assured, Steve, that Sean is no longer a member of this board, and his late father's password has been changed. So, the knucklehead son of our old friend Randy couldn't do anything to All Sci-Fi, even if you put his nuts in a vice and told him tp hack this board or suffer the painful consequences! Shocked

We're now being hosted by the same folks Randy used — Servage One — but I have indeed noticed that they've experienced a few short glitches during the last week. Fortunately none of them have lasted very long. I know this because I stay on All Sci-Fi most of the day! Very Happy

Whenever the board does go down for longer than a few seconds, I check Servage One with Is It Down Now?, and I call our tech support guy, Raj Patel, if I have any doubt about the situation.

Raj double-checks the situation and then assures me that it's the server, not the board. Cool

I have no idea why your recent experience lasted so long, but I'm sure it was NOT because Sean did anything. In fact, as far as I know Sean is not even aware that I've restored All Sci-Fi completely after he maliciously destroyed the website his own father loved and helped creates! Laughing

All Sci-Fi is now more safe and secure than it has been since I created the first version in 2006! Due to the failure of two different "Free Forum" sites I used to start the board in 2006, I had to recreate it from scratch in 2007, and then again in 2013 (with Randy's help).

Now it's on my own server, entirely under my control, and it's being maintained on a daily basis by our skilled computer expert (Raj Patel), who is eager to make any adjustments I request, and to fix any problems which arise!

In fact, Raj and I have even discussed creating a complete backup of All Sci-Fi on the server he himself uses, with updates from this current version periodically, just in case the Servage One hardware fails completely the way it did about two years ago, forcing Randy to rebuild the board on another server device at Servage One, using a copy of our database which he discovered on the PHPbb software website!

So, everything is being done to prevent All Sci-Fi from suffering the setbacks it has in the past, not to mention the unfortunate fates of other message boards like the Classic Horror Film Board and the Science Fiction Message Board when they were forcibly converted from YUKU to Taptalk! Rolling Eyes

I've done all I can to make All Sci-Fi the best message board on the web. But I need the help of members like you, Steve, to give it the energy and imagination it must have to inspire our members to add their own unique contributions!

That's what All Sci-Fi is all about!

I know you won't let me down.

Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I checked for posts dated 3-1-2018 and found about half a dozen before I quit.

On another note, I performed a search through my posts for any occurrences of ??? and came up empty-handed. But having dealt with this search function previously, I know how contrary it can be. So if you turn up any hits for my posts, Bud, let me know and I'll correct them for you.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I performed a search through my posts for any occurrences of ??? and came up empty-handed. But having dealt with this search function previously, I know how contrary it can be. So if you turn up any hits for my posts, Bud, let me know and I'll correct them for you.

The bad new is, the "search funtion" does not recoginize ???'s, so you can't find them that way.

The good news is, after working my way down the main index one forum at a time for the last few weeks, I've corrected all the ???'s I've found. I might have missed a few here and there, but I'm confident the 99% of those damned things are now gone from All Sci-Fi.

I fixed thousands of them, replacing the ???'s with the apostrophes, question marks, and em dashes that should have been in the posts.

I'd like to request that any of our members who spot ???'s in our posts that haven't been fixed to yet to please send me a private message (with the link to the post), so I can correct them.

However, I'm confident that the "Curse of Sean Everett" has been largely removed from All Sci-Fi's. I can finally concentrate on adding my own new posts to the board to provide our members with interesting subjects to which they can provide replies.

It's taken me almost three months to bring All Sci-Fi's back from oblivion and purge it of the glitches which our relocation to my server caused, but my efforts (and Raj Patel's expert work) have restored out board with NO loss of the data!

Now it's your turn, folks. Please add new and imaginative posts to All Sci-Fi's that we can all enjoy.

Bud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: