ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Frozen Dead (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: The Frozen Dead (1966) Reply with quote

Ice Reich Baby!

This is a British sci-fier which is, at time, both utterly mad . . . . and quite awful.

And yet, for fans of "B" movie schlockers from days of yore, there's enough boldness and charm to warrant a look.

In short order, the plot entails a nutty scientist planning to revive frozen Nazis to kick start a new world order. Dana Andrews is the name actor in the lead role, complete with bad German accent.

Kathleen Breck is the star performer playing a head in a box; a victim of the mad scientists moving throughout the madness.

It's all very silly, and the fact that Andrews and company are taking it seriously further induces the mirth factor.

The effects work is a very mixed bag, but it's always fun, while there are some genuinely great scenes involving the frozen corpses, a wall of moving arms, along with every scene in which Breck's head is involved — none more so with the latter for the truly haunting ending! 2/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, admit it! You've been waiting eagerly for me to post the trailer for this movie!

Wait no long, my friends! Your time has come! Shocked

And if that isn't good enough for you . . . here's the full movie!!

____________ The Frozen Dead (1967) - trailer

___________________ The Frozen Dead 1966

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An IMDB member with the flamboyant name Athanatos wrote a review that makes me wish I'd written it myself. He's definitely my kinda guy. You see what I when you read his comments.

Enjoy! Very Happy

The Nazis' finest (who, in my opinion, couldn't possibly be all that fine) are corpsicled in preparation for the future, apparently a couple of decades downstream. Dana Andrews, a top German scientist, is now trying to thaw them out, but he just gets one basket case after another; brain damage seems to be a major problem.

His henchman, knowing that Andrews wants a fresh head with which to work, kills the visiting friend of his daughter, who becomes the head-in-the-box.

Naturally, she's a bit angry about this state of affairs. Naturally, all the Nazis end up dead.

At the end of the movie, there's the problem of what do do with the head-in-a-box. No one suggests grad school. Instead, sans lungs, she says "Bury me!" Well, that probably is better than grad school.

Actually, though it's easy to make fun of this movie, it's not a bad flick.

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_____________ The Frozen Dead (1967) Trailer

The Frozen Dead is a slow-moving film about the possibility of reviving frozen Nazi officers 20 years after the war ended.

The film is almost like a prequel to the seventies sci-fi/horror flic Shock Waves, which was about defrosted Nazi zombies on an island.

But, there is only the suggestion and potential of reviving Nazis in The Frozen Dead — it never moves beyond that.

Dana Andrews stars as a German scientist who had developed the process to freeze the Nazi soldiers 20 years earlier. He has three of these frozen specimens hanging in a hidden chamber in his secret lab. Only, he hasn't worked out the process to defrost them safely — the subjects either die or come out mentally damaged.

His own brother (Edward Fox in an early role) is one of the unstable results, prone to mindless violence.

Then, he's contacted by other leaders of the leftover Nazi regime and informed that there are about 1,500 frozen Nazi elites spread out over the world. The time has come for unfreezing the 4th Reic . . . maybe.

But he still is unable to accomplish this, as he informs the disappointed leaders. To complicate matters, his niece (Anna Palk) arrives from school with a frien. She knows nothing of her uncle's experiments.

Though the prospect of a new Nazi threat is chilling, the story is boring. It does get rather ghoulish in respect to the niece's girlfriend from school. She is the victim of the scientist's assistant, the one who causes most of the problems in the film, either through incompetence or nastiness. He kills her in order to provide the scientist with a fresh brain to experiment on, and she ends up as a still-living head for the rest of the film.

There's no sympathy for her, even from the story's nominal hero, a newly-arrived fellow scientist who also sees her as just another groundbreaking experiment.

There are also scenes of various limbs, usually arms attached to a circuited wall, to lend further gruesomeness to the proceedings. It all comes off as another variation on the Dr. Frankenstein model. The female head obviously recalls similar scenes in The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962).

BoG's Score: 4 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: