ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Battle of Sherman's Planet
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: The Battle of Sherman's Planet Reply with quote

This is sort of a work in progress but Bud thought I should share it so here goes...

This is a "graphic model photo novel" (if such a thing exists) that features my, IIDSSM, kickass 1/1000 scale USS Abaddon dreadnought; my 1/350, 1/1000, 1/1400, and 1/2500 USS Enterprises; and my 1/650 and 1/1000 scale Klingon D-7 battlecruisers...

orion by Steve J, on Flickr

asteroid-base by Steve J, on Flickr

Silent Sentinel by Steve J, on Flickr

Secret Ship by Steve J, on Flickr

Dreadnought by Steve J, on Flickr

sentinel by Steve J, on Flickr

abaddon-launch by Steve J, on Flickr

rendezvous by Steve J, on Flickr

Truth Be Told by Steve J, on Flickr

Their Own Making by Steve J, on Flickr

New Orders by Steve J, on Flickr

kirk by Steve J, on Flickr

Spock Kirk by Steve J, on Flickr

Face to Face by Steve J, on Flickr

viewscreen by Steve J, on Flickr

legends by Steve J, on Flickr

History by trekriffic, on Flickr

Kirk Wary by trekriffic, on Flickr

Locking On Targets by trekriffic, on Flickr

Waiting by trekriffic, on Flickr

Cloaked by trekriffic, on Flickr

Where She Wants Them by trekriffic, on Flickr

Tatenen by trekriffic, on Flickr

to be continued...

Last edited by trekriffic on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 pm; edited 37 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the quote from the Mahabharata.

Very appropriate.

But there is another verse that states :

"Anger must be conquered by forgiveness; and the wicked must be conquered by honesty; the miser must be conquered by liberality, and falsehood must be conquered by truth."

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good - a few minor typos, and personally I'd add a few commas for pacing... and why the blacked-out text in "Truth Be Told"? Lots of spaceship views, plus new-context shots of familiar faces in a similar way to John Byrne's "New Visions" tales for IDW Comics... I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next! Very Happy
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Looking good - a few minor typos, and personally I'd add a few commas for pacing... and why the blacked-out text in "Truth Be Told"? Lots of spaceship views, plus new-context shots of familiar faces in a similar way to John Byrne's "New Visions" tales for IDW Comics... I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next! Very Happy

Yes I noticed a few typos. Will need to fix those.

Commas, yes, no problemo, I, can add, more, commas.

I replaced Truth Be Told with another version. Hopefully an improvement. Oh, and I found one I was missing, "Their Own Making". Added it.

Thanks for the comments Custer! Next chapter coming soon.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Love the quote from the Mahabharata.

Very appropriate.

But there is another verse that states :

"Anger must be conquered by forgiveness; and the wicked must be conquered by honesty; the miser must be conquered by liberality, and falsehood must be conquered by truth."

Tatenen's story is complicated. His hate for the Klingons trumps everything else right now. But he's not just a soldier, he's also a poet. And a fan of Shakespeare.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then... all hell breaks loose...

the-battle-of-shermans-planet by Steve J, on Flickr

Invincible by trekriffic, on Flickr

Surrounded2 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Abaddon Explosion by trekriffic, on Flickr

Indestructible by trekriffic, on Flickr

Just Where She Wants Them by trekriffic, on Flickr

Sulu by trekriffic, on Flickr

The Commodore Calls by trekriffic, on Flickr

Commodore Wesley by trekriffic, on Flickr

Kirk Gets In A Dig by trekriffic, on Flickr

debacle-for-the-klingons by Steve J, on Flickr

abaddon-victorious by Steve J, on Flickr

aftermath by Steve J, on Flickr

approach by Steve J, on Flickr

close-encounter by Steve J, on Flickr

flyover by Steve J, on Flickr

kirk spock 2 by Steve J, on Flickr

To be continued...

Last edited by trekriffic on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 pm; edited 18 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All suitably dramatic - quite a battle! I was just thinking that "Tatenen" was an unusual name, and did a quick search, leading to the gods of ancient Egypt - "Tatenen, God of the Mound of Creation." Those Klingons didn't stand much of a chance, did they...?
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
All suitably dramatic - quite a battle! I was just thinking that "Tatenen" was an unusual name, and did a quick search, leading to the gods of ancient Egypt - "Tatenen, God of the Mound of Creation." Those Klingons didn't stand much of a chance, did they...?

Interesting. I had not known about the origin of his name. I ran across his character after he was mentioned in an article
about the Klingon-Federation Cold War on Memory Beta:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Federation-Klingon_Cold_War

which led me to this article about Karis Tatenen:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Karis_Tatenen

Here's a backstory I wrote over on the RPF about the Abaddon and her Captain:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264868

So, no, the Klingons didn't stand much of a chance. Aside from the fact Tataenen was a brilliant strategist and tactician there was also the matter of Klingon hubris; they weren't even running with shields up when the Abaddon opened fire. At that point the Klingon task force was still out of range of the Federation ships and they wanted to conserve energy for the upcoming battle and attack on the Sherman's Planet colony. So those first two L-24's weren't even shielded when the heavy phasers hit them. You can also see, in the "the-battle-of-shermans-planet" image, some of the D-7's starting to veer off after the battleships explode. Evasive maneuvers wouldn't do them much good though; there are a pair of red photon torpedoes already heading their way.

My next installment will be delayed somewhat as I need to take more photos of the Abaddon in space from different angles.

Thanks for reading!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The name Karis is a Greek name. In Greek the meaning of the name Karis is: Grace." So that particular captain's first name is a bit exotic, too. Another source says the name is used both for boys and girls... and it's one of those websites that suggests names for a baby, so I guess it should know. Searches being what they are, it also mentioned that a firm of solicitors using the name isn't very far away from me! Surprised

We'll look forward to watching the story progress. The name Abaddon crops up a bit, here and there, as a god, an angel, or, more often, a demon... As the fallen God of Water and Secrets, Abaddon is the main antagonist in Guild Wars: Nightfall, and his legacy lives on in Guild Wars 2...
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encore! Encore! Bravo, Captain Trekriffic!

A masterful creation, combining model work, photographic skills, and literature. I'm all set to buy advanced tickets to the next epic saga. Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
The name Abaddon crops up a bit, here and there, as a god, an angel, or, more often, a demon... As the fallen God of Water and Secrets, Abaddon is the main antagonist in Guild Wars: Nightfall, and his legacy lives on in Guild Wars 2...

More good information!

When I came up with the name I was thinking of this quote from Revelation 9:11:

"They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer)."

It seemed suiting considering the Abaddon's home base is an "abyss" deep inside an asteroid.

Then there is this quote from Wikipedia...

"In the 3rd century Acts of Thomas, Abaddon is the name of a demon, or the devil himself. Abaddon is given particularly important roles in two sources, a homily entitled "The Enthronement of Abbaton" by pseudo-Timothy of Alexandria, and the Apocalypse of Bartholomew. In the homily by Timothy, Abbaton...had been given the task by God of collecting the earth that would be used in the creation of Adam. Upon completion of this task, the angel was appointed as a guardian. Everyone, including the angels, demons, and corporeal entities feared him. Abbaton was promised that any who venerated him in life could be saved. Abaddon is also said to have a prominent role in the Last Judgement, as the one who will take the souls to the Valley of Josaphat."

So it's interesting that Tatenen's name means "God of the Mound of Creation" in ancient Egyptian and he commands a ship that, according to pseudo-Timothy, has a role in the creation of Adam. Definitely a tie-in there.

I also found this entry appropriate...

"Everyone, including the angels, demons, and corporeal entities feared him".

Angels? I suppose in this context "angels" could be a used in reference to other starship captains. It would be interesting to see what happens if starfleet decides giving Tatenen command of the Abaddon was a mistake. I'd hate to be the starship standing in his way if he decides to go after the Klingon homeworld with his anti-proton beam. After all, the Abaddon is capable of carving chunks out of a planet, just like the Doomsday Machine.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once more into the breach....Let loose the dogs of war!"

I really like where this is going.

How do you defeat the ultimate weapon?
Looking forward to more!

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is a work in progress I've added some more images to the existing threads to flesh things out a little more. Also I split some of the wordier images into two. I hope you all enjoy them.

Stay tuned for more as the story continues...
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epilogue...

Romulan Scout by trekriffic, on Flickr

Hubris by trekriffic, on Flickr

Followers by trekriffic, on Flickr

Dangerous Game by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
How do you defeat the ultimate weapon?

Believe me I've given that a LOT of thought.

The easiest answer is she comes up against beings like the Organians, the Q, or any other of a host of more highly developed races with comparatively limitless powers; powers of magic by human standards.

Nothing in the Abaddon's arsenal or armor could defeat that I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: