ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Chase (1981)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: The Last Chase (1981) Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this movie, but that is one HELL of a poster! However, I greatly doubt that the movie lives up to it.

Wikipedia describes the movie this way.

The Last Chase is a 1981 Canadian-American dystopian science fiction film starring Lee Majors, Burgess Meredith and Chris Makepeace, and directed by Martyn Burke. It was produced by Argosy Films.

In the year 2011, the United States is a police state. A substantial percentage of the population was wiped out by a devastating viral pandemic twenty years previously. Amidst the resulting chaos and general panic, democracy collapsed and a totalitarian cabal seized power.

After moving the seat of government to Boston, the new dictatorship outlawed ownership and use of all automobiles, boats, and aircraft, on the pretext (later proven false) that an even bigger crisis, the exhaustion of fossil fuel supplies, was imminent. The loss of other personal freedoms followed, and surveillance cameras now monitor private citizens' every move.

Here's part of the summary provided by IMDB.

In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. Predicated on an assertion that "the oil has run out", an increasingly totalitarian central government has ordered all personal vehicles be impounded by law.

One man, a former race car driver, yearns again for his ability to choose his own roads and destiny. He reassembles his race car hidden from confiscation, and sets out for "Free California" which has broken away from the new regime, aided by a young technically savvy teen who feels alienated from this "social" society.

Agents of the new government must stop this man at any cost to destroy the symbology he represents, and the instability that such a desire for personal autonomy could mean to the society.

Youtube has both a trailer and the complete movie (with a somewhat fuzzy picture, and it's in 4:3.

___________________ The Last Chase trailer

________________ The Last Chase FULL MOVIE

Folks, I have a confession.

I was not pleased with the original poster (shown below), so I worked on it for about an hour and created the better version displayed at the top of this post, and also display again below the original for comparison. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good - here's another wider poster, albeit slightly watermarked:

I'm not sure how cinematerial.com works, but apparently contributors there can download an HD version...
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Lee Majors is such a rebel. And Burgess Meredith as a jet fighter pilot... What won't they dare try next? Rolling Eyes

Interesting that Bud's poster reads, "A phantom jet", whereas Custer's poster reads, "A Phantom jet". The poster artist must have been going by the latter text when he created the artwork, as he drew an F-4 Phantom. The jet in the trailer, on the other hand, is an F-86 Sabre.

(This actually goes way beyond the extent to which I had intended to analyze this movie.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Looking good - here's another wider poster, albeit slightly watermarked.

I'm actually glad I didn't find the wider one you posted, because I had so much fun altering the original to make my own version.

Notice the differences!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the way you cunningly brought in bits of the landscape/architecture again - though I'm not entirely sure why we are treated to two photographs of Burgess Meredith. Would it be fun to track down a photograph of another cast member, and put them in instead, for one slot? Smile
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
... I'm not entirely sure why we are treated to two photographs of Burgess Meredith.

I think that's George Touliatos. Burgess is third from the left in Bud's poster.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Custer wrote:
... I'm not entirely sure why we are treated to two photographs of Burgess Meredith.

I think that's George Touliatos. Burgess is third from the left in Bud's poster.

Well, crap . . . you're BOTH right! Embarassed

Custer is correct in saying I accidentally left a duplicate of the picture on the far right when I enlarged and relocated the text-and-pictures at the bottom. When I copied and moved that section to the left, I uncovered the guy on the right and forgot to remove the extra picture.

Wayne is right too when he said the extra picture is George Touliatos rather than Burgess Meredith.

I corrected the flaw in the poster and replaced the jpeg in the two posts it appears in above, shifting the text-and-pictures back to the right to properly balance the composition.

Thanks for calling the error to my attention, guys.

And just for fun . . . I made a new version that puts ME in the cast of the movie!
Very Happy

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem - you know how eager we always are to point out any mistakes! And George and Burgess do look a bit similar, darn it... I even did a quick image search of the ex-Penguin, but I'm no expert on actors.

I wonder what Bud's role in the movie could have been...?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I wonder what Bud's role in the movie could have been...?

Unfortunately all my scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. Sad

I think it had something to do with the fact that I did a passionate love scene with co-star Alexandra Stewart.

Her father, Patrick Stewart, didn't approve. The director asked Patrick if he'd rather have the scene cut out. Patrick's reply was —

"Make it so!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: