ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Gun — Will Travel ( CBS both TV & Radio)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Have Gun — Will Travel ( CBS both TV & Radio) Reply with quote

Have Gun - Will Travel was broadcast on the CBS TV network from September 14, 1957 – April 20, 1963 and on the CBS Radio network from November 23, 1958, and November 27, 1960.

The TV series stared Richard Boone as Paladin and co-starred Kam tong as Kimchan/Kim Chang aka "Hey Boy" and Lisa Lu as Kim Wong aka "Hey Girl".

In the 1972–74 series Hec Ramsey, set in New Prospect, Oklahoma in 1901, Boone is an older former gunfighter turned early forensic criminologist. At one point Ramsey denies that, in his younger days as a gunfighter, he worked under the name Paladin.

The origin of this myth is Boone's remark in an interview, "Hec Ramsey is Paladin—only fatter." Naturally, he merely meant the characters had certain similarities: Ramsey, for his part, was practically buffoonish, imparting a measure of humor to Hec Ramsey missing from the sterner, more erudite Paladin.

Olan Soule (famed on radio as Mr. First Nighter), had a long career in movies, radio and television. He appeared in 11 episodes as Mitchell, or McGinnis, or Matthews (depending on the episode), the Hotel Carlton's manager/front desk clerk. He is also called Mr. Cartwright, the assistant manager, in the episode Hobson's Choice.

He was spelled a few times by Peter Brocco, another oft-seen character actor. He also appeared in The Cream of the Jest in another role, the scientist employed to make Paladin's custom-made cartridges using Paladin's own formulation for smokeless gunpowder.

John Dehner (a regular on the radio series version of Gunsmoke) played Paladin, and Ben Wright usually (but not always) played Hey Boy. Virginia Gregg played Miss Wong, Hey Boy's girlfriend, before the television series featured the character of Hey Girl.

The program's opening was a four-note motif composed and conducted by Bernard Herrmann.The program's opening was a four-note motif composed and conducted by Bernard Herrmann.

The complete Ballad of Paladin by Johnny Western can ve found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

There were three novels based on the television show, all with the title of the show. The first was a hardback written for children, published by Whitman in 1959 in a series of novelizations of television shows. It was written by Barlow Meyers and illustrated by Nichols S. Firfires.

The second was a 1960 paperback original, written for adults by Noel Lomis. The last book, A Man Called Paladin, written by Frank C. Robertson and published in 1963 by Collier-Macmillan in hardback and paperback, is based on the television episode "Genesis" by Frank Rolfe. This novel is the only source wherein a name is given to the Paladin character, Clay Alexander, but fans of the series do not consider this name canonical. Dell Comics published a number of comic books with original stories based on the television series.

In 2001, a trade paperback book titled The Have Gun – Will Travel Companion was published, documenting the history of the radio and television series. The 500-page book was authored by Martin Grams, Jr. and Les Rayburn.

In the two-part 1991 TV mini-series The Gambler Returns: The Luck of the Draw, a poker game is played by the rules of "the late Mr. Paladin" in the Carlton Hotel where Paladin usually stayed.

More info at Wikipedia.

I always wondered what the opening card looked like in color, but I can find no pictures or references of it. It took more than a bit of research until I was given an answer by the son of the series' original art director Nocolai Remisoff: Black lettering with green scroll work over a pale yellow background,

As soon as I figure out Imgur™ I will post some pictures and some little known information.

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the Internet Archive has a good number of the radio episodes available for download, as Public Domain - though any files significantly shorter than the usual length may be incomplete.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this comic cover the yellow is much darker than was used for the TV title card and, of course, was a transparency placed over the picture of the holster. This yellow is closer to that used.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been catching HGWT on MeTV.

Richard Boone is a powerful & commanding performer, always been a fan.

I love the western genre as much as I do the sci-fi genre.

So I was prepared to be modestly entertained by a western show from the 50s. Boy, was I surprised.

The series is much more thoughtful,profound & intelligent than many westerns were.

Palladin quotes the Bible,Shakespeare,Yeats & other works of fine literature.

The plots go beyond just a shoot 'em up horseback ride.The stories reflect on what it means to be human,how cultures differ,questions about humanity,you name it.

I'm surprised that the show was as popular & successful as it was given its depth.

Simply one of the best TV westerns ever produced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: