ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Remake That Failed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: The Remake That Failed Reply with quote

On the Old board we had a section about remakes of Forbidden Planet (M-G-M 1956. For a rather detailed analysis go to: http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-forbidden-planet-remake/ — and be glad it didn't get made!

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say one thing for the plans for a remake — the concept art by Syd Mead is stunning!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that they did film a remake in 95/96 that never was finished. They ran out of money to do the special effects! Laughing

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some of the footage. The costumes, stills, and props were on sale at eBay™ a few years ago. I had posted them on the old board.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that, Butch. You pointed out that the movie had no blaster weapons, just firearms dressed up to be futuristic firearms. Bullets, not neutron beams. I'd still like to see the footage, just out of curiosity.

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the ship set from the 1993 filming:

The same company (Corlind) almost got the money to remake their remake in 1997. It would have had the same actress as Alta, Joanna Ost:

I have a lot more pictures. I'll post them later. (In fact I have pictures and concept art for 14 different remakes! I'll post them soon along with the source info and details.)

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: The Location Scouting Expedition Reply with quote

{this is a replacement of an earlier post with tiny pictures and no explanations. Robert Earl (Butch) Day.)

The producers scouted a location which would suggest the other Altair IV as being different. The final choice (although they didn't have the financial backing) was Göreme [pronounced zjhor-A (as in Fonzie's ]Aaaaa, but cut off after the first A)-ma, as in slang for mother].

Here are the pictures. (Information kindly supplied by the executive producer Lindsay Dunlap.) A Krell-like spire:

Nevşehir Province Map:

Panorama:

Krell Lab Entrance Location:

Krell Monument — Graves Location. (Actually the visitor center):

Still working Krell Lanterns I wonder what for?:

Krell complex administration ruins:

Krell complex administration ruined interior:

Valley Of The Spires:

The Grand Tower. This is the hotel where the cast and crew would have stayed.:

The Church With Sandals. A multi faith establishment run by the Greek Orthodox Church:

ALta's Pool Location:

Uchisar Castle. (Lindsay Dunlap doesn't remember what they wanted this location for. Tiger rock, perhaps?):

Bellerophon Expedition Converted Krell Dwellings:

Göreme town center:

Göreme museum (again Lindsay Dunlap doesn't remember what they wanted this location for.:

the Morbius House Location. (There was a local hot-air balloon festival at the time this picture was taken.):

Solar eclipse with flare.Altair is a star that occasionally flares and has coronal mass ejection (CMEs). A CME from our star, Sol, happened when they were there. It causes havok with our magnetosphere. Imagine what A CME from Altair would do!:

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing LOCATION in Turkey!
Very similar to Cappadocia in it's bizzare caves and constructions.

Thanks Butch!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could easily envision these majestic looking location photos in a Ray Harryhausen fantasy film.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I could easily envision these majestic looking location photos in a Ray Harryhausen fantasy film.

Pow, I thing they would work MUCH better the way you suggested rather than in a "remake" of Forbidden Planet which tried to substitute exotic locations for the amazing matte paintings which were created for Altair 4.

I think a CGI environment more like the great work done in Avatar would be a better way to go with a FP remake.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Very similar to Cappadocia …

Göreme is in the center of Cappadocia. I've been there. Lovely but hot!

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While they are certainly exotic, I think they are a bit too "PLANET OF THE APES" for Altair IV.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
While they are certainly exotic, I think they are a bit too "PLANET OF THE APES" for Altair IV.

Agreed.

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a ship that was supposed to have landed in a polar desert, where did the tree with the red foliage come frpm and how would it have survived?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, does that set look cheap! Rolling Eyes

The whole idea of remaking Forbidden Planet makes no more sense than remaking Star Wars: A New Hope. What Forbidden Planet needs is a full restoration, along with a hi-tech conversion to 3D! Cool

I've really enjoyed the movies that were shot in 3D — like Toy Story 3, Avatar, Ready Player One and Bumblebee, but what I'm hoping is that movies filmed in 2D can be converted to 3D with the same enjoyable results.

And I think they CAN!

An article at Extreme Tech describes how James Cameron (who dislikes 3D conversion from 2D) has spent 18 million dollars converting his blockbuster movie, Titantic to 3D.

I guess if modern filmmakers can create an entire CGI world like Pandora and present it in 3D, then the technology exist to convert the breathtaking world of Forbidden Planet into 3D . . . and sharpen the picture quality as well.

After all, the goal with movies like Avatar is to make the movie screen a giant window which peers into the wondrous world which the movie creates. Adding sharpness to the image and giving it the depth of 3D is a key factor to achieving that goal.

I realize there are purists who think that changing any aspect of a classic film is tantamount to adding a new scene at the end of Gone With the Wind which has Rhett Butler turn around, come back to Scarlett, and say, "Oh, what hell, Baby. I forgive ya!"

But in this case we're talking about boosting the quality of a movie that's 95% perfect using 1950s technology and a budget that was one tenth of what the finished film actually looks like it costs! Shocked

All I'm suggesting is that 21st Century technology is capable of doing what the brilliant producers of Forbidden Planet could have done if they'd had the tools available today.

And the current generation of science fiction fans (like my two grandchildren) are accustomed to movies and video games which present so much glitz and glitter that these kids would have trouble sitting through Forbidden Planet in it's original form!

But hey, that's not their fault! Shocked

Think of how Star Wars raised the bar of audience's expectations so much in 1977 that people practically mobbed the theaters for months, watching it over and over again! Shocked

Forbidden Planet is an undeniable masterpiece — but it lacks the glitz and glitter that modern technology has given the current movies. Expecting it to compete with today's movies is like asking a 1960 Corvette to keep up with a 2019 Lamborghini! Shocked

All I want to do is give Forbidden Planet a boost in horsepower! She already has the perfect paint job, the classic lines, and a plush leather interior. She just needs the muscle under the hood to impress this current generation who expects zero-to-sixty in eight nano-seconds! Shocked

Hollywood needs to wise up and abandon any plans to remake a movie that can't be topped. Forbidden Planet just needs a sexy make-over! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: