ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CIMON (Crew Interactive MObile CompanioN)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: CIMON (Crew Interactive MObile CompanioN) Reply with quote

https://www.rt.com/news/431290-cimon-talking-robot-ai-iss/

An experimental robotic 'head' called CIMON (Crew Interactive MObile CompanioN) has been sent to the International Space Station (ISS). The machine is designed to assist the crew and create a “feeling of talking to a crew mate.”

The ball-like bot, designed by Airbus, embarked on its journey on Friday on board a Space X Falcon 9 rocket, carrying supplies to the ISS. The robot's 'brain' was developed by the chip maker IBM. The Falcon 9 is scheduled to reach the station on Monday.

“CIMON is a free flyer fueled with Artificial Intelligence, enhancing human expertise,” CIMON’s description from the Airbus reads. “AI-based technology is about constantly understanding, reasoning and learning, so CIMON is designed to assist and to create a feeling of talking to a crew mate.”

Despite its positive image, CIMON sounds eerily similar to the sinister HAL 9000 bot from Stanley Kubrick’s classic – 2001: A Space Odyssey. It can also communicate verbally with the crew members, but unlike the anti-hero robot penned by Arthur C. Clarke, CIMON features a cartoonish “screen face,” which would help astronauts to “make friends” with the machine, according to developers.

“What we’re trying to do with CIMON is to increase the efficiency of the astronaut,” an engineer IBM Matthias Biniok told Reuters. “Right now our main mission is to support the astronauts with their daily tasks to save time, because time is the most valuable and most expensive thing on the ISS.”

The bot will get involved in several experiments, namely helping to grow crystals and trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube puzzle together with German astronaut Alexander Gerst.

CIMON will also take on the role of an “intelligent” flying camera during several other experiments. One can only hope these activities will end better than the Odyssey with HAL 9000 – it’s a long way to the ISS to help open the pod bay doors.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so that's the SCIENCE. Now let's add the FICTION!

Good lord, give me two hours and four beers and I could write a chilling story about this spherical little villain that would have people afraid to go into space the same way Jaws made them pee in their swimming pools when a friend playfully shouted "Shark!" during the water polo game! Shocked

The fact that this flying soccer ball wears that annoying psuedo-face and floats around silently would scare the weightless crap out of me if I was on the ISS. I mean, who knows what the little A.I. — A.S.S.H.O.L.E. might be plotting inside that that plastic noggin?

The story I'd write would involve an "upgrade" that Earth sends to the ISS which is supposed to improve CIMON. Unbeknownst to the crew, Russian hackers have modified the program so that the bubble-headed droid can sabotage the ISS and kill the crew!

Hey, that only took me ten minutes and ONE beer! Damn, am I good or what!? Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This little 'bot reminds me of the AI Bot in MOON voiced by Kevin Spacey. How's that for evil?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: