ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robby's Career

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Robby's Career Reply with quote

On thr Very old ASF board there was a thread that showed pics from the long career of Robby the Robot, I'm going to recreate it. First from an old short lived TV series Likely Stories, Vol, 3 (1983) This still from A Trip To Tomorrow:

The only info is at IMDb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307095/?ref_=nv_sr_5 and at https://www.filmweb.pl/film/Likely+Stories%2C+Vol.+3-1983-194188 (in Spanish). I have 26 more stills from this wacky episode tht was deliberately filmed with a soft focus to imitate the old sci-fi serials of the 1930s.

This is from Stacked (Fox 2005 - 2006) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacked From the 4th episode Gavin's Pipe Dream (May 11, 2005):

Robby is listed as NASA Nightmare Robot

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Robby's Career Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
First from an old short lived TV series Likely Stories, Vol, 3 (1983) This still from A Trip To Tomorrow:

Was this the episode where Robby was the maid, and was costumed like Aunt Jemima?

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen yje series, so If that one you remember is in B&W, then YES; if in color, then NO (it's one I'm unaware of; try to find some pics).
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Robby was demoted from Major Domo to a mere domestic.

this series ran for a short time in 1983 only on satellite channels.

This episode showed a humorous (?) look at what the future would be like.

I could only find a few pictures that included Robby...so here's what I found.

By the way, the story was filmed in B&W with a soft focus to look like it was from the 40's.

A person commenting on IDMb said this :

Quote:
--- This comedy short aired on a pay cable T.V. station in the early 80's called ONTV (Satellite Television), available exclusively to subscribers in the Midwest (I think). I remember it was the first premium channel in St. Paul until around 1984, when HBO hit the airwaves.

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was also shown on Cox Cable TV in the New Orleans area. That's where I saw it, it had some funny episodes.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that "cover" with the pilot showing the pretty blonde his "lance". (actually it's a pitot tube....I think.)
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw that, I was thinking of what captions we might come up with.

WayneO
-----------
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
When I first saw that, I was thinking of what captions we might come up with.

GREAT IDEA!!!

Here is the segment of Heavy Metal (1981) featuring Robby as A Hot-Dog Vendor in the Harry Canyon story:

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images didn't display, so I figured the "?1" following the .jpg extension needed to be removed. It worked!
Eadie wrote:
Here is the segment of Heavy Metal (1981) featuring Robby as A Hot-Dog Vendor in the Harry Canyon story:

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The images didn't display, so I figured the "?1" following the .jpg extension needed to be removed. It worked!

Eadie may not remember, but I warned her in a PM weeks ago that resizing images on Imgur always caused them to add a question mark and a number after the jpeg extension, and the ?1 has to be removed every time the image code is used in a post!

That means, of course, that any time she uses one of the big images on Butch's Imgur account that I've had to resize for him or her, she'll have to remove those two characters to make the images display properly every time she uses it after that.

That's what happened in her post above! I spotted two big jpegs on Butch's Imgur account and resized them before she'd used them in the post. (Butch has been letting me help him with both his Photobucket and Imgur accounts for years.)

Usually I have to do it after the images have been posted, because that's when I become aware of them. So, the image codes used on the posts don't have the ?1 yet, because the picture was posted before it was resized.

In other words, if a large jpeg is posted and then resized, the code used on the post does not have the ?1 because it was not there at the time it was used.

However, the ?1 was added to the code on Imgur when it was resized, and it will have to be removed every time that same picture is used after that.

It would be SO much easier for all concerned if she and Butch would learn to do what you and I do, Wayne — resize each image on our computers before we upload them.

That way there's not a problem with "stretching the page" here on All Sci-Fi, and there's no pesky ?1 to remove every time that jpeg is used from then on!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely Stories:

Pink Lady and Jeff:

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
By the way, the story was filmed in B&W with a soft focus to look like it was from the 40's.

Assuming you have a good source print or negative, films made in the 1930s and '40s are as sharp and clear as anything made today. Those screengrabs look more like murky TV kinescopes from the 1950s.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frequent viewer of movies on TCM, I can confirm scotspen's statement about movies from the 1930s and 1940s. On the occasions when I've watched a movie from those decades that was not extremely sharp, it's always been obvious that the print being shown by TCM was not of the highest quality.

I'm sure they do their best, but not all movies have been preserved as well as we'd like. Sad

As for the pictures above, the inclusion of Robby's head in each one is clearly just poorly done photographic alterations, not a single one which is the least bit convincing. I've created countless photographic alterations for All Sci-Fi which put those crude efforts to shame.

And finally, I can't find anything on line that describes just what Likely Stories actually IS. Even the IMDB listing doesn't have a clear description of this . . . whatever it is! Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Gord Green wrote:

Assuming you have a good source print or negative, films made in the 1930s and '40s are as sharp and clear as anything made today. Those screengrabs look more like murky TV kinescopes from the 1950s.

The sketch was suppose to be a 1950s view of the 1980s. Robby was portrayed as a black maid, complete with voice, apron and scarf on top of his head.

"Likely Stories" was a limited series, about six episodes, maybe eight episodes. Each episode was several sketches. One episode had a very funny, twisted sketch about a practical joke gone wrong that was directed by Danny DeVito.

I've been looking for the show for years, but can't find any trace of it.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: