ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Lake On Mars!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: A Lake On Mars! Reply with quote

Info at

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/07/news-lake-found-mars-water-polar-cap-life-space/

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Butch! Very Happy

It's a shame that this 12-mile-long reservoir of water is a mile underground. The article says it could "provide a resource for future human settlements". That seems unrealistic in the foreseeable future, since it would requiring drilling down one mile to tap into it. The average oil well on Earth is about a mile deep, so it can be done, but that kind of project on Mars would be no walk in the park. Sad

As I've stated often, the idea of building long term habitats on Mars seems like more trouble than it's worth. I still think large lunar bases at the north and south poles would be a better way of expanding out into the space.

And the same amount of effort needed to colonize and terraform Mars could transforms our deserts into fertile zones, save the rain forest, etc etc.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, folks. I just hope we'll prioritize our efforts to get the most bang for our buck. Cool

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video from the article Butch posted a link for is terrific. I found it on Youtube and posted it below.

It tries to make a strong case for why Mars should be colonized, but all it really does is prove that Mars took it's best shot at being Earth-like back around the time dinosaurs rules the Earth . . . and failed completely.

If Mars has already proven it can't sustain an Earth-like environment, why should we believe that efforts to terraform it which costs us trillions of dollars and takes hundreds of years could succeed in making it anything like Earth?

I still maintain that a polar lunar colony would be the best option in the short term, and a colony on a distant Earth-like world is our only good long-term option.

We shouldn't let our fondness for the centuries-old legends and myths about Mars convince us that it's anything other than a dead, useless world we shouldn't waste our time and money on.

Watch the video and decided for yourself. Then post something to either prove me wrong or prove me right.

_____________ Mars 101 | National Geographic

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

And the same amount of effort needed to colonize and terraform Mars could transforms our deserts into fertile zones, save the rain forest, etc etc.

The soil in deserts probably wouldn't make good farm land, and could have unforeseen consequences.

What would save jungles, is if the people would stop the clear-cutting for farm land, when they will only get on crop because all the nutrients are on the surface. Sustainable farming methods would save the jungles.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: