ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HALO (Showtime 2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: HALO (Showtime 2019) Reply with quote

On May 21, 2013, 343 Industries announced that a live-action television series of HALO would be produced with Steven Spielberg serving as executive producer. Neill Blomkamp is rumored to direct the pilot for the series. The series will premiere on the American premium cable network Showtime. It had been in development hell for five years. On March 1, 2018, it was announced that the series will start filming in late 2018, with speculation of the series airing in mid- to late-2019.

The Master Chief Petty officer of the UN Space Navy Jihn Spartan-117 Cos-Play:

It's remarkable (to me) that he looks like one of the SICON [Strategically Integrated Coalition of Nations] in ROUGHNECKS: Starship Troopers Chronicles (BKN 1999 = 2000):

Just before the TV series was cancelled they were going to introduce the Uchū No Senshi (OVA) powered armorto fight the bugs:

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/halo-tv-show-director-otto-bathurst-1202045558/

Series Enlists Black Mirror, Peaky Blinders Alum to Direct

Otto Bathurst, who directed the anthology series' first episode, was also behind the camera for last year's Robin Hood.

Showtime’s impending Halo TV show is still shrouded in a layer of mystery: How exactly the series is going to adapt the mammoth video game franchise is something of an unknown at this point. But at least now audiences know who to expect behind the camera. The network announced on Thursday that Otto Bathurst will be directing the series. No stranger to helping get genre fare off the ground, Bathurst was also the director for the very first installment of Black Mirror, the porcine nightmare The National Anthem. In addition to his work on that anthology series, Bathurst also directed the opening trio of episodes of Peaky Blinders.

Bathurst’s debut feature was last fall’s latest attempt to reboot Robin Hood. Starring Taron Egerton and Jamie Foxx, the film premiered to less than favorable reviews and grossed just $84 million worldwide. Still, Bathurst is also a part of the upcoming His Dark Materials series, currently in the works as a BBC/HBO co-production and expected later this year. That series will co-star James McAvoy, Ruth Wilson, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.

As for Halo, the series is still being showrun by Kyle Killen, whose various TV projects include Lone Star and Awake. Killen was also the writer of the 2011 film The Beaver, directed by and starring Jodie Foster. Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt was originally announced as a director on “Halo” before he and the show parted ways in December.

Halo is part of a slate of upcoming Showtime series that also includes the Boston-set crime drama City On A Hill, a Russell Crowe-starring Roger Ailes series called The Loudest Voice, and Your Honor, a legal-based limited series starring Bryan Cranston.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.slashfilm.com/director-rupert-wyatt-explains-why-he-left-the-long-developing-halo-tv-series/

Director Rupert Wyatt Explains Why He Left the Long-Developing HALO TV Series

A TV series adaptation of the hit video game series Halo has been stuck in development for years. Just recently, the series set up at Showtime made some progress by hiring Robin Hood director Otto Bathurst to be at the helm of what will be quite the expensive sci-fi series. But before that, Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt was supposed to executive produce the series and direct a few episodes. Unfortunately, he left the project late last year, and now the filmmaker has provided some new insight into why he didn’t stick around to make it happen.

Rupert Wyatt left the HALO TV series in December of last year, and at the time, this was the statement he gave:

“It’s with great disappointment that changes to the production schedule of Halo prevent me from continuing in my role as a director on the series. My time on HALO has been a creatively rich and rewarding experience with a phenomenal team of people. I now join the legion of fans out there, excited to see the finished series and wishing everyone involved the very best.”

In a more recent discussion with Collider, Wyatt was a little more specific about why he felt inclined to leave:

“I knew very little about HALO — same as I knew very little about Planet of the Apes when I got involved — and I kind of steeped myself in the mythology and began to realize how much incredible literature there was and the depth of the storytelling, and it all stacked up for me. There was an incredible foundation for the storytelling, so it was gangbusters. I was super excited. In short, I think if I had come at it from an earlier perspective from the building of it then perhaps it would have gone differently, but as a director of a TV show it’s quite hard to sort of become a creative architect of a show. I think in a way I was never gonna be that, and that’s fine because there are really many talented people involved in that show who are doing that job.”

It sounds like Wyatt maybe boarded the project a little too late in development to feel like like he could really take hold of it as his own. And since he was coming at it with an outsider’s knowledge (or lack thereof), he may have felt a little out of his element. Of course, that seemed to work in his favor for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but directing a single film is much different than tackling a TV series that will dive even deeper into the extensive mythology of a video game series that is creeping up on its 20th anniversary.

But aside from those creative reservations, Wyatt also saw that the time to get this series off the ground was more than he was willing to commit, especially for a project where he’s not the mastermind behind everything. It would have kept him from being able to focus on other projects that he likely had more passion for. Wyatt explains:

“It became clear that there was gonna be more time needed, I’m talking some months if not years, to align—as you probably know it’s massively ambitious, so the budget for that really needs to align with the scripts. We were still kind of working on that, but it ultimately wasn’t under my watch to be able to find that alignment. So there was a choice made by Showtime which was essentially to push things, and if I had been perhaps been the showrunner then I would have stayed on that journey for two or three years, but as a director of a finite number of episodes, there’s other things I really wanna do. So I was very sad to leave, but basically it wasn’t within the framework that I originally signed up for.”

A TV series is a big commitment, especially one that has been trying to get off the ground for years. And while Wyatt would have had an integral part as an executive producer, he wasn’t the showrunner for Halo. Instead, he would have provided some input, directed a few episodes, and then went on his way. And the time he would have had to spend working on the show in order to fulfill his duties wasn’t worth it in the end. At least he was self-aware enough to see that instead of just taking the job because of how high profile of a TV series it is.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo Schreiber To Star In Showtime Series Based On Xbox Franchise

https://deadline.com/2019/04/halo-pablo-schreiber-lead-showtime-series-xbox-video-game-franchise-1202597641/

American Gods actor Pablo Schreiber has been tapped as the lead in HALO, Showtime’s anticipated series based on the Xbox video game franchise.

Schreiber will play Master Chief, Earth’s most advanced warrior in the 26th century and the only hope of salvation for a civilization pushed to the brink of destruction by the Covenant, an unstoppable alliance of alien worlds committed to the destruction of humanity.

In addition, newcomer Yerin Ha will play a new character within the HALO world: Quan Ah, a shrewd, audacious 16-year-old from the Outer Colonies who meets Master Chief at a fateful time for them both.

The series is produced by Showtime in partnership with 343 Industries, along with Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television. Production will begin this fall in Budapest, Hungary.

HALO reinvented how people think about video games and has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, having sold more than 77 million copies worldwide and grossing more than $60 billion in lifetime sales worldwide. In its adaptation for Showtime, Halo will take place in the universe that first came to be in 2001, dramatizing an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant.

Schreiber is an Emmy nominee for his performance in Netflix’s Orange is the New Black. His recent television projects include American Gods and The Brink. He will next be seen in the limited series Defending Jacob opposite Chris Evans. Upcoming, he will be seen in the independent films The Devil Has a Name and Lorelei. He’s repped by WME, Circle of Confusion and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Yerin Ha hails from Sydney, Australia, where she has starred in theatre productions of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Colby Sisters, The Changeling, Caucasian Chalk Circle and the Australian premiere of I Walk In Your Words. In 2017, she starred in a short film for the Australian Chamber Orchestra. She recently landed a major role in Australia’s prestigious Sydney Theatre Company’s groundbreaking adaptation of Lord of the Flies.

Otto Bathurst will helm multiple episodes and will executive produce the live-action series, which has Kyle Killen (Awake) serving as writer, executive producer and showrunner.

Killen and Steven Kane (The Last Ship) serve as co-showrunners and executive producers. Halo is also executive produced by Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey for Amblin Television in partnership with 343 Industries, director Otto Bathurst and Toby Leslie for One Big Picture, Scott Pennington for Chapter Eleven, and Karen Richards. The series will be distributed globally by CBS Studios International.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: