ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stargirl (2020–2022)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Stargirl (2020–2022) Reply with quote

Stargirl (?)

‘Stargirl’ Casts Cameron Gellman; Carmela Zumbado Joins ‘You'

Wikipedia entry on Stargirl TV series:

Courtney Whitmore
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I can't say I care much for the uniform. She looks like a teenager who washed a size-small cotton T-shirt in hot water and put it in the dryer . . . Rolling Eyes

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Bud, her costume is underwhelming in an age of movies and TV shows that create some awesome looking threads.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big difference between the Marvel superheroes and the CD superheroes are the costumes. DC clings desperately to their "colorful tights with chest emblem and capes" tradition, while Stan Lee rejected that idea decades ago and dressed his characters in much cooler outfits.

And some of them look absolutely NOTHING like DC characters — like Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Wolverine, and — saving the best for last — Hulk and The Thing!

And there are fewer "secret identities" in the Marvel universe compared to the DC universe, like Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Kara/Linda Danvers, etc. etc. etc.

That was another superhero tradition that Stan Lee decided was overworked and opted to use less often.

I'm saddened by the fact that Hollywood doesn't seem to know how to make the kind of great superhero movies for DC characters that have flowed freely from the Marvel folks.

It's puzzling. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Marvel is able to make hit movies but do not do as well with their superhero TV shows.

DC does very nicely with their CW Network TV productions as well as direct-to-dvd animated movies but not their motion pictures so much..

However, I love The Gifted TV show about the mutants in the Marvel Universe. Also, the Marvel superhero team of Cloak & Dagger is a great series and returning for its second season.

Critics and fans seemed to feel that the Inhumans (Marvel) was an awful show. I did not, and shooting in Hawaii was nifty.

And Aquaman was one hell of a fun ride movie for DC. Aquaman was always a ''B'' character to me, but not anymore.

So, I guess we see exceptions here and there as to the quality of DC & Marvel regarding their productions for film and television, Bud.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge on this subject turns out to be more limited than I realized. I simplified the matter without meaning to. Thanks for clarifying it. Very Happy

I haven't watched the DC television series you mentioned, and now that I think of it, I haven't been very fond of the Marvel TV series, like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter.

So, your analysis and comparison of the two is right on target. Thanks Pow! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: