ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galactic Derelict

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Galactic Derelict Reply with quote

Finally, Andre Norton comes to TV!

Not much details, yet. But Info at https://www.screendaily.com/news/myriad-pictures-to-introduce-sci-fi-tv-adaptation-galactic-derelict-at-mipcom-exclusive/5133591.article?referrer=RSS

One Question, WHAT'S mipcom?

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Norton was a most prolific writer of science fiction in an era mostly ruled with testosterone. Her bulk of work was mostly pulp- space opera oriented, but it was blood and thunder in deep space!

I love her work!

She was the first woman to be Gandalf Grand Master of Fantasy, first woman to be SFWA Grand Master, and first inducted by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame.

Often called the Grande Dame of Science Fiction and Fantasy by biographers such as J. M. Cornwell, and organizations such as Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Publishers Weekly, and Time, Andre Norton wrote novels for over 70 years.

She had a profound influence on the entire genre, having over 300 published titles read by at least four generations of science fiction and fantasy readers and writers. Notable authors who cite her influence include Greg Bear, Lois McMaster Bujold, C. J. Cherryh, Cecilia Dart-Thornton, Tanya Huff, Mercedes Lackey, Charles de Lint, Joan D. Vinge, David Weber, K. D. Wentworth, and Catherine Asaro.

She deserves recognition as the outstanding writer she was!

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Galactic Derelict Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
One Question, WHAT'S mipcom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPCOM

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Galactic Derelict was the second novel in Norton's "Ross Murdock/Time Traders" series, first appearing in 1959. My copy is from Ace's second paperback printing, in 1964, with the same cover art, by Ed Emshwiller, as the 1959 hardback and 1961 Ace paperback.

"Travis Fox, Apache, joins Ross Murdock and Dr Gordon Ashe, time agents, in attempting the transfer, intact, of an alien ship through 20,000 years to the present. Inadvertently, controls are activated and the group is launched on an involuntary galactic tour. Their efforts to return to Here and Now constitute a top-notch science-adventure yarn," the review in Galaxy, quoted on the back cover, says...

Don't you just love stores that put their selling price for a second-hand paperback on the first interior page, and then cut the corner off the cover so that people can see it without having to open the book...?
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article: " First published in 1959, Galactic Derelict is about two sisters who hold the key to humanity’s survival when an ancient war between alien civilisations reaches earth".

I wonder what book he read, because that story line, is not even remotely like the book i read, one of my favorites from Andre Norton.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
From the article: " First published in 1959, Galactic Derelict is about two sisters who hold the key to humanity’s survival when an ancient war between alien civilisations reaches earth".

I wonder what book he read, because that story line, is not even remotely like the book i read, one of my favorites from Andre Norton.

David.

Is this another case of Wkipedia getting it wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Derelict
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: