ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spindrift from Land of the Giants ** Finished Pics on Pg 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Gord! It appears Fitzhugh neglected to follow the the rule about no luggage on board. I particularly like the evacuation instructions telling you if you spot a giant predator to use the slide and run away from the cat.

Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the members on another forum posted a link to a technical manual (long since out of publication) that included these drawings of the Spindrift and other, larger rocket transports flown by "Continent Air & Space Lines":

Other Designs by trekriffic, on Flickr
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Of course you have to have the safety instructions in every seat back pocket.

Okay, I read this pre internet, so I must assume that the person assumed, that because of the resemblance. The same person must have designed the two vehicles.

I always assumed that the Spindrift was the equivalent of an Executive Jet .

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I always assumed that the Spindrift was the equivalent of an Executive Jet.

Well, it wouldn't be very profitable as a commercial vehicle. It has a cavernous interior with only six passenger seats!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after applying a few shots of Model Master Semi-Gloss Clear, I let the model cure for a day; then I attached the Spindrift to her aluminum display tube...

First I fed the electrical wires from the hole in the underside of the ship thru the mounting tube:

Feeding the Wires by trekriffic, on Flickr

The hole in the underside is actually composed of a short piece of Evergreen plastic tubing glued into the hole flush to the surface of the model. The styrene tube collar glued with CA to the top of the metal tube will glue to the styrene tube in the model using Testors model cement.

After smearing Testors tube glue inside the model's ventral mounting tube I slid the display tube into the opening nice and snug before placing the assembly into my Panavise for the glue to cure:

Spindrift with Aluminum Display Tube by trekriffic, on Flickr

Anyone notice I re-masked the windows? I didn't want any of the clearcoats getting on the clear window plastic you see.

Here I am holding my little beauty in hand after the glue has dried. I gave her a few stress tests to make sure the glue was holding. No problems were encountered as this was basically a styrene to styrene weld joint. Rock solid :

Spindrift in Hand by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next step is feeding the wires into the wooden base then epoxying the tube in the model onto the next smaller diameter tube in the base.Then it will be time to solder the wires to the power jack and the two slide switches.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures and a fine description of your procedures! The Spindrift looks awesome. Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Krel wrote:
I always assumed that the Spindrift was the equivalent of an Executive Jet.

Well, it wouldn't be very profitable as a commercial vehicle. It has a cavernous interior with only six passenger seats!

Well, it wouldn't be much of an Executive jet if they packed you in like a Sardine can. Laughing Executive aircraft, by their very nature have few seats.

All airlines have Executive aircraft for corporate officers and special passengers, or circumstances. I have read of airlines using them for mercy flights. As I recall the Spindrift flight was a special flight, so a full size aircraft wasn't needed.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this is what first class on some airlines looks like these days! Shocked

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:

. . . Executive aircraft, by their very nature have few seats.

All airlines have Executive aircraft for corporate officers and special passengers, or circumstances. I have read of airlines using them for mercy flights. As I recall the Spindrift flight was a special flight, so a full size aircraft wasn't needed.

Well, at least that part makes sense. Never mind that the Spindrift is supposed to be a sub-orbital shuttle but has no wings and isn't shaped like a lifting body. It also has no attachment point where it could piggyback onto a booster or launch vehicle, and no apparent landing gear. However, it does have a superfluous bubble dome, a couple of silly-looking antennas, and inexplicable flashing lights in what are presumed to be intakes for air-breathing engines.

Oh, and it’s orange. Irwin Allen loved orange.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Krel wrote:
. . . Executive aircraft, by their very nature have few seats.

Well, at least that part makes sense. Never mind that the Spindrift is supposed to be a sub-orbital shuttle but has no wings and isn't shaped like a lifting body. It also has no attachment point where it could piggyback onto a booster or launch vehicle, and no apparent landing gear. However, it does have a superfluous bubble dome, a couple of silly-looking antennas, and inexplicable flashing lights in what are presumed to be intakes for air-breathing engines.

Oh, and it’s orange. Irwin Allen loved orange.

Yeah. It doesn't make any sense from an aerodynamic perspective. But none of that mattered when I was a kid.

It just looked cool.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by the more streamlined version shown in trekriffic's jpeg above, I cleaned up the jepg and reversed it —

— and then I modified my version to match the sleek look. Notice that the "superfluous dome" is now a bullet-shaped cockpit canopy. Cool, eh? Cool

(I can't build models, but I can sure enhance them thar jpegs!)
Wink

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Bud! You too Tech.....beautiful work!

Perhaps the Spindrift was using an anti-gravity drive that did not require aerodynamic principles to operate. Rockets or jets may have only been required for attitude control.

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Nice job Bud! You too Tech.....beautiful work!

Perhaps the Spindrift was using an anti-gravity drive that did not require aerodynamic principles to operate. Rockets or jets may have only been required for attitude control.

I read the paperback novelization of the show as a kid. The Spindrift did indeed use what appeared to be an antigravity drive. I clearly remember liftoff described as the ship rising slowly until the bow pointed almost straight up, then it simply “fell upwards” at incredible speed into the night sky.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept trying to figure out what the prow of my inverted version reminded me of, and today I finally realized that the sharp, jutting "jaw" looks a bit like a the jaw of a barracuda on that streamlined version I created!

Furthermore, the fins are somewhat similar, the dome on top is a just a little bit like an eye, and the intakes are like reversed "gills".

Gentlemen, I realize that I bastardized the beloved Spindrift by turning parts of it upside down, but I promise I didn't do that because I don't like the Spindrift! Very Happy

Remember, we read that the design was flipped over when it was first submitted, and I couldn't help wondering how that could be true.

I have to admit, however, that I really like my partially inverted, horizontally elongated version. I'd like to submit it as a "sister ship" called the Baracuda, a larger version that has a faster cruising speed within an atmosphere.

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaah... definitely a Barracuda. That profile is unmistakeable.

You need to do it from other angles too though. Like this:

Spindrift Decal Sealing by trekriffic, on Flickr

Invert it.

Do you still have windows on the front of the top "jaw" or is it all grill across where the "teeth" might be?

From this angle I thought of a Great White Shark right away:

Spindrift Unmasked by trekriffic, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: