ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spindrift from Land of the Giants ** Finished Pics on Pg 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
You need to do it from other angles too though. Like this.

Invert it.

Do you still have windows on the front of the top "jaw" or is it all grill across where the "teeth" might be?

Trekriffic, you're giving me credit for miracles I just can't perform. Sad

All I have are the jpegs I've posted. You're the model man, I just fiddle with jpegs! Shocked

I wish I had 3D files of objects like these. That would be awesome!

But all I can do is struggle with the 2D views I have and rearrange their parts, or change their vertical and horizontal dimensions the way I did to create the inverted Spindriff and the streamlined version of the Barracuda. Sad

I'll lobe the ball back into your court by suggesting that YOU create the Barracuda as an original "build". That would truly be awesome! Very Happy

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
trekriffic wrote:
You need to do it from other angles too though. Like this.

Invert it.

Do you still have windows on the front of the top "jaw" or is it all grill across where the "teeth" might be?

Trekriffic, you're giving me credit for miracles I just can't perform. Sad

All I have are the jpegs I've posted. You're the model man, I just fiddle with jpegs! Shocked

I wish I had 3D files of objects like these. That would be awesome!

But all I can do is struggle with the 2D views I have and rearrange their parts, or change their vertical and horizontal dimensions the way I did to create the inverted Spindriff and the streamlined version of the Barracuda. Sad

I'll lobe the ball back into your court by suggesting that YOU create the Barracuda as an original "build". That would truly be awesome! Very Happy

Tell you what Bud, you supply the kit and I’ll build it, no charge for my services. Just one thing... it has to be the smaller Moebius Models kit. You can’t get a better deal than that.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Tell you what Bud, you supply the kit and I’ll build it, no charge for my services. Just one thing... it has to be the smaller Moebius Models kit. You can’t get a better deal than that.

Well, since I just made up the design, we'll have to wait from somebody to offer a kit of my fanciful design.

Oh well. Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
trekriffic wrote:

Well, since I just made up the design, we'll have to wait from somebody to offer a kit of my fanciful design.

Oh well. Cool

Laughing

You misunderstand. If you were to send me the regular Spindrift kit by Moebius Models I would make the modifications needed to turn it into the Barracuda. No charge for my labor since I like your design so much. Kits run around 20-25 bucks. It’s up to you. I’d let you have the model once I was done photographing it of course.

Steve
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! Silly me! Embarassed

It's a deal! Is this the right one?

If so, send me your mailing address in a PM. I'm so glad you like the design, and I'm really looking forward to your posts which will share pictures of your progress.

I'm curious about how you'll alter the shape of the model and the various parts so you can change this —

— into this.

Even if you cut up the Spindrift and manage to rearrange the parts to create the inverted version, how can you possibly stretch out the whole thing to turn it into a the Barracuda?

Frankly I'd pay for the model just to find out HOW your going to do that! In fact, I'd really like to send you two kits (Merry Christmas!) for several reasons.

(1) So that you'll have one for yourself to convert into the Barracuda, and —

(2) So that you'll have a second kit in case something goes wrong during your miraculous conversion of the Spindrift into the Barracuda. Or perhaps you'll learn things from building the first one that makes the job easier and the results more satisfying when you create the second one.

Steve, I hope you won't feel I'm being too generous by sending two kits. You're time and expertise are worth much more than the price of two kits, and I'm not only getting a unique model of a design I enjoyed coming up with, I'm also getting a series of posts on All Sci-Fi which will dazzle me and the members as we watch you perform the miraculous conversion! Very Happy

PS: Just to be completely clear, when I said I was sending two models, I wasn't referring to "two models" this way! Shocked

~ The Space Children (1958)
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, Bud!

This picture brings up SO many ideas!

But one is...…"Help me find my car keys and we'll drive out of here!"

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
This picture brings up SO many ideas!

Yes, indeed. My thought was, "This gives Land of the GIANTS a whole new meaning!" Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Bud, I may have overstepped myself. It's not just a matter of flipping the hull over because you would end up with the widest part of the hull on the top whereas in your creation the widest part is still on the bottom. Also I have no easy way of stretching the hull pieces out to match the Barracuda profile. This really would need to be a scratch build. So it is with an embarrassed heart that I have to rescind my offer, at least for now. I'm so sorry for getting your hopes up. I should have thought it thru better before I made the offer.
Sad Sad Sad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, please don't be so hard on yourself. Sad

I wondered just how you'd perform this miracle, and I was hoping you had a plan that would make it possible.

It took me several hours to create the jpeg of the Barracuda by rearranging the component parts of the Spindrift and blend them together to create the final image I posted. But I loved every minute of it, and I did it all while sitting on my couch and fiddling with my keyboard and mouse. Very Happy

It other words, it was easy for me to distort a jpeg and create the streamlined Barracua, but it's not easy to build a Morbius kit the way you've done and create a wonderful model that you can display proudly.

My take-away from all this is your statement that you liked my efforts to redesign the Spindrift and create a jpeg of a more streamlined version. That, for me, is a rich reward for my creative efforts. Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being so gracious Bud.

Update...

Two switches soldered to a common M series power jack. One switch operates engine and cabin lights and the other operates the bow headlights:

Wiring the Base by trekriffic, on Flickr

I'll take some better pictures later as she isn't quite done yet. Still need to touch up around the sides of the base where I attached the wooden bottom panel to it with wood glue.
Anyway, just thought I'd post these almost done pics for now...

Spindrift Powered Down by trekriffic, on Flickr

Left switch operates cabin lights, right switch operates bow headlights. M series power jack in center for 12V DC power:

Spindrift Base Power Jack and Switches by trekriffic, on Flickr

Upper antenna in place. Fits nice and snug without glue:

Spindrift Upper Antenna by trekriffic, on Flickr

Bow antenna probe:

Spindrift Bow Antenna Probe by trekriffic, on Flickr

Lights On!

Spindrift Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spindrift Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spindrift Interior and Bow Headlights Lit by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spindrift Pilots Lit Up by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spindrift Passengers by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spindrift Fitzhugh and Betty Windows by trekriffic, on Flickr
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to compliment you on this magnificent model and the gorgeous pictures you shared with us! Very Happy

I'm awed by the details you crafted. None of the other pictures I've seen of Spinddrift models compare to the work you did on your version, and the way you've captured it's beauty in the images above. Both this post and your more recent one about the USS Antares are impressive because of both your model-building skills and your superb photography! Very Happy

Keep 'em coming, Steve. We love it! Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

I forgot to compliment you on this magnificent model and the gorgeous pictures you shared with us! Very Happy

I'm awed by the details you crafted. None of the other pictures I've seen of Spinddrift models compare to the work you did on your version, and the way you've captured it's beauty in the images above. Both this post and your more recent one about the USS Antares are impressive because of both your model-building skills and your superb photography! Very Happy

Keep 'em coming, Steve. We love it! Cool

Thanks Bud! This model took a lot of time and patience to get it right. One of the things with this kit is, if you build it with the upper forward hull left removable (as intended by the kit designer) you end up with these massive gaps between the upper and lower hull. There is just no way to get a seamless look even using magnets. Lighting the model makes it all but imperative that you glue the top on otherwise you end up with major light bleed, totally destroying the realism. So I took lots of photos of the finished interior and the figures before sealing her up.

Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Another Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Another Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Overhead of Spindrift by trekriffic, on Flickr

Lit Cabins by trekriffic, on Flickr

You can see all the pics in my album on flickr! here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/albums/72157688194269503

P.S. I haven't finished taking the final photos yet. Need to assemble my photography frame (made from sections of PVC pipe) for hanging the spot lights from and take the pics in front of a neutral backdrop rather than these quick and dirty images on my workbench.

Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I feel so sorry for those poor little people, sealed up inside the model, entombed forever with no hope of ever . . .

Okay, okay, I'm just kidding! Laughing

Your description of the decisions and sacrifices you have to make to get the end results you want are, as usual, interesting and educational. You're a true artist, and I'm proud to have your work displayed so well on All Sci-Fi. Very Happy

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
You're a true artist, and I'm proud to have your work displayed so well on All Sci-Fi. Very Happy

Right back atcha Bud. I have also enjoyed your contributions to the site. The stories you write are so well reasoned out and entertaining. The science makes sense, at least as much as one can make sense of faster than light travel and the like. And I love the humor you demonstrate in your sci-fi reviews and articles. What a wonderful site you've created; thank you for all you have done to keep it going after the hosting and server issues when others (some with a few screws loose it would seem) would have killed it or just let it die.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Accepting the Oscar for Best Message Board on the Web on behalf of Bud Brewster is Mr. Tom Hanks, who will read a statement from Mr. Brewster."

Tom: "Bud asked me to thank all the wonderful people who made it possible to win this award — which he really likes a lot because it looks so much like a little golden robot! He said he was going to put it next to Gort above his fireplace." Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: