ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Champagne for Caesar (1950)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Champagne for Caesar (1950) Reply with quote

YES! It's another review for a 60+ year old movie! But fear not, there will be no repeat of the "You Never Can Tell" debacle. This will be an abbreviated review, as there are twists I don't want to give away.

"Champagne for Caesar" stars Ronald Colman, Celeste Holm, a verry funny Vincent Price (seriously, how did this man not get more comic roles), Barbara Britton and Art Linkletter.

Ronald Colman is Beauregard Bottomley a polymath who lives in Los Angeles with his sister Gwenn (Barbara Britton) who is piano-instructor. Also in the household is an alcohol-guzzling parrot they found named Caesar (voiced by Mel Blanc) who's favorite beverage is... Champagne.

Beauregard is knowledgeable on any subject, any subject except how to hold a job. When he is turned down for a job by Burnbridge Waters (Vincent Price), the eccentric owner of the Milady Soap Company, who disproves of Beauregard's sense of humor. Insulted Beauregard plots revenge

Milady Soap sponsors a popular TV quize show "Masquerade for Money", hosted by Happy Hogan (Art Linkletter). Beauregard hates the show, as he feels it is dumbing down society, but he sees a chance to get back at Waters.

Beauregard manages to get picked to be a contestant, insults Milady Soap, and proceeds to answer every question correctly. He asks to come back, as his plan is to bankrupt Milady Soap. Waters get more unhinged with each win, but he has a plan!

That's as far as I am going to go, because there are twists. I also don't want another pile-on like with my last review of a 60+ year old movie. Laughing

David.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like fun - but what this thread needs is a poster, right?

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn funny movie and a great review! Thanks Krel!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find a trailer, but I did find this enjoyable seven-minute video review which covers about the same info as Krel's review, with nice clips from the movie. Very Happy

_ The Fantastic Films of Vincent Price #24 - Champagne for Caesar

I also found Champagne for Caesar on DailyMotion! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: