ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sneakers (1992)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Sneakers (1992) Reply with quote

This clever, likable, funny "caper" movie has a great cast, an intelligent premise, many adorable characters, and several science fiction elements which were years ahead of their time! Cool

Amazingly enough, those sci-fi elements are STILL ahead of their time! Technology has yet to catch up with them! Shocked

If you haven't seen this movie — or worse, you HAVE seen it but didn't like it — you're probably the kind of person who beats his wife, kicks his dog, never calls his mother, and owes money to his friends he never intends to pay back! Sad

Watch this trailer . . . and pray it isn't too late to mend your sinful way! Evil or Very Mad

______________________ Sneakers - Trailer

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ When Martin (Robert Redford) and Cosmo (Sir Ben Kingsley) attempt their initial prank at the beginning of the movie, the façade building seen is the famous Hill Valley clock tower from the Back to the Future (1985) trilogy.

Note from me: I'm surprised it's still standing, but I'm glad. Very Happy

~ While picking through Dr. Brandes' (Stephen Tobolowsky's) trash, Mother (Dan Aykroyd) holds up a folded box of "Cap'n Crunch". In the 1970s, "Cap'n Crunch" came with a small whistle in the box. A "phone phreaker" called "Captain Crunch" (John Draper) discovered that this whistle could be used to get free phone calls (one of many components in the practice of "phone phreaking", which digital phone switching-systems has made almost totally obsolete).

Note from me: This reminds me of the scene in WarGames in which Matthew Broderick jimmies a payphone to get a free dial tone by unscrewing the mouthpiece and tapping microphone contacts with soda can pull tab.

~ In an article he wrote for 'Slate' in 2012, Stephen Tobolowsky recalled that while shooting on the Universal Studios lot, he saw Robert Redford and James Earl Jones pass unnoticed in front of a tour bus. Dozens of tourists instead snapped photos of inanimate attractions such as the bike from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and the shark from Jaws (1975).

Note from me: "Look, Mabel, there's a bicycle and a fake-looking shark! Hey . . . who are those two guys over there?"

"Ah, just a couple of maintenance men, Herb. Hurry up and get a picture of that funny looking elf-thingy."

~ In Blindfold (1966), Dr. Snow's (Rock Hudson's) kidnappers drive him past a lake with a gaggle of geese nearby. He later thinks this was the sound of the guests at a cocktail party, until he retraces his route, and discovers the actual source of the sounds. This idea was borrowed by Phil Alden Robinson when Martin (Robert Redford) is kidnapped, blindfolded, and also thinks the sound of the geese he passed were people at a cocktail party.

Note from me: I saw Blindfold years ago, and I recognized the "cocktail party geese" idea when I saw this movie the first time.

~ Robert Redford appeared in The Sting in 1973 with Robert Earl Jones. James Earl Jones, son of Robert Earl Jones, appears in this movie also with Robert Redford.

Note from me:Bless my soul, I did NOT know that the character "Luthor" in The Sting was Darth Vader's daddy! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: