ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We have a space debris problem. Here’s how to solve it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: We have a space debris problem. Here’s how to solve it Reply with quote

All loyal space cadets like us are worried about barrier of space junk that surrounds the Earth and threatens to imprison us on our home planet and bar any visiting alien spacecraft from getting to close!
Shocked

We have a space debris problem. Here’s how to solve it

The article above addresses this problem, but I'll confess I've haven't read it yet. However, as soon as I saw this picture in the article —

— I realized that there's only one way we can rid our planet of a zillion bits of debris, some big and some small and some microscopic but still lethal to spacecraft.

Here's my plan.

Since the presence of Earth gravity is what causes this problem, the only sure solution is the absence of it! We've got to switch off the planet's gravity and let all that crap fly off into space! Very Happy

Simple, right?

Well, no . . . not simple. But absolutely necessary. Here's what we have to do.

First, we develop the technology capable of enveloping the Earth and it's atmosphere in a force field powerful enough to block gravity waves.

Next, we equip all our orbiting satellites with propulsion systems that can hold them in orbit for a brief period without the aid of Earth's gravity.

Then we switch on the force field and block the Earth gravity so that all those lethal little bits of orbiting crap go flying off into space!

As soon they all on their way into deep space we switch off the force field and allow the satellites to resume their course around the Earth, free from any danger posed by orbiting crap that might damage them.

Now, before somebody suggests that this idea is too wild, too far fetch, and too ambitious for mankind to achieve . . . consider engineering feats like these, proposed by our best science fiction authors. Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my idea above will work just fine in about a thousand years, but here's seven suggestions for space junk removal that might be implemented a bit sooner than in the next millennium.

Mine would be more fun, of course, because we could use the gravity-blocking force field on Venus at ground level and get rid of its poisonous, scalding-hot atmosphere. The force field would block the planet's gravitational field and cause the envelope of gas to explode outward in one glorious rush! Very Happy

Anyway, consider the imaginative concepts below for trash collection in space.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more info about CleanSpace One, the second method of space junk removal described above. The picture of the Airbus A-300 is beautiful, but that lovely jumbo jet is just part of the delivery system which puts the satellite into space.

This video shows us the way CleanSpace One works its magic. Cool

_ CleanSpace One: A giant Pac-Man to gobble up space debris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: