ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with Imgur?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: What's going on with Imgur? Reply with quote

I can't seem to get to my Imgur account to up-load humorous pictures for Groundhog Day. Any ideas?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you didn't read the message at the link below from several days ago. Imgur is seriously screwed up. Sad

I've sent them a dozen email messages, begging them to put Imgur back like it was. They aren't going to do it.

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5263

Notice that I stated in the my message that I've paid to activate my Photobucket account. I recommend you do the same.

I'm paying about $11.00 a month, which gets me storage for approximately 100,000 images. The next one down is only about $6.00 month, but you only get 25,000 images, and I think you've got more than that.

But you can check your PB account to see how much you need.

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Flickr! They used to give you a terabyte of free storage which was much better than the 10 gigabits (I think) Photobucket offered for free memberships. Anyway, Flickr! Went to a pay to play format near the end of last year where, for their Pro memberships, you pay $50 annually for unlimited storage. As an existing member I got a 30% discount for signing up early before Thanksgiving. I really like that there is no limit on storage and the price is under $3 per month so quite reasonable I think.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been thinking about how Flickr seems to serve you well for the great pictures you've posted, and now that Imgur has gotten so ridiculous about redesigning their site, I regret spending months converting every Photobucket image on All Sci-Fi (even other people's images) to Imgur versions after PB went nuts and blocked all images in non-paying accounts.

Now PB seems to have come to their senses, and they no longer charge $399 annually to have 3rd party hosting privileges. I'm glad I resisted the urge to cancel my PB account when I finished the All Sci-Fi conversion.

I started paying PB again a few days ago, just to give myself a little peace of mind when I started worrying that Imgur's "upgrades" would loose a few dozen of my images, the way Servage.one screwed up All Sci-Fi and lost ten days of our posts just before I finally switched us over to Dreamhost.

I'm paying $11 monthly ($132 annually) for 11TB (which is about 100,000 images).

In retrospect I could have just gotten 25GB for $6.48 monthly (which is 25,000 images), but I went a bit overboard, even though I don't really have plans to stop using Imgur, now that I've figured out how to get around the dumb change they made in the way my albums are displayed.

I certainly don't want to have to switch all All Sci-Fi's images back to Photobucket! Shocked

When I checked Imgur this morning I discovered that they still haven't fixed some of the glitches, so Butch might not be able to start using his account again.

Ah well. This too shall pass, eh? Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, here's a step-by-step description of the OTHER way to find and use images in the albums without having to use the flawed Albums section until it's fixed. Butch will find this helpful, I think.

STEP 1 ~ Depending on which of the two pages shown below you happen to start on, put the cursor over your username OR the blue circle in the upper right corner to get the menu, as shown below.

Click on images.

STEP 2 ~ On the Images page, click on the "down arrow" to bring down the menu (as shown in Step 3 picture below).

STEP 3 ~ This will display a list of your albums, shown in the order they were arranged when Imgur started screwing around and messed things up. Rolling Eyes

STEP 4 ~ Scroll down until you find the album you want, such as my Forbidden Planet 1 album, as shown below. (I usually use my browser's "find" feature to go right to the album, by name.)

STEP 5 ~ Click on the name of the album and you'll get thumbnails of all the images in it. If you want to add an image to that particular album from your computer, click on the green rectangle with "add images".

If you need to edit an image or get the BB code to post it, click on the image to view it and see the list of codes (as shown in the Step 6 image).

STEP 6 ~ The BB codes are on the right, and the one indicated by the green arrow is the one All Sci-Fi needs. Once you've clicked on the blue "copy" box, click on the X indicated by the red arrow to close the image display window.

WARNING: Do NOT hit the "back arrow" at any point, because that will take you to the page below, and you'll have to start all over again! (Gee, thanks Imgur . . . Rolling Eyes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: