ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World (1963)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Suppose I stole a city bus and then drove it along the regular route, picking up passengers and collecting fairs in a normal manner. And after thirty minute, the cops stop the bus and arrest me, along with the fifty passengers who were all "accessories" . . . according to your puzzling definition!

Actually, you would not only be charged with the theft of the bus, but also fifty counts of kidnapping. There is a difference between stealing a bus loaded with passengers, picking up more and willingly getting on a stolen vehicle, even if you didn't know it was stolen. On the bus you have the expectation that it is not stolen, especially if the bus it following it's route. The group had to know something was up, Mrs. Marcus' statement proved that, or they were complete idiots. Or both. The Police will charge them, and the D.A.'s office will decide whether or not to prosecute (most likely, yes). If the D.A.'s office thinks it can make the case, they will prosecute.

I'm not saying they wouldn't get off on that charge, but they are going to have to prove their innocence. And the Prosecutor will make that very difficult for them.

A Prosecutor's job isn't to determine if you are innocent or guilty, but to convince the Jury, or Judge that you are guilty.

I took the Cop's comments to be amazement on the beating Ray and Irwin were taking without fleeing for their lives. Pike could have left, but he decided to pursue the two owners, AND destroy their business.

Remember what I said. In courts appearance is EVERYTHING. The Prosecutor will have the image of the burly Mr. Pike verses the diminutive Ray and Irwin, with photos of their destroyed business. The Prosecutor will submit that Ray and Irwin were defending themselves from a much larger and stronger foe, who they were convince was a crazed murderer. Pike's behavior when he showed up at the gas station pretty convincing proof. The Prosecutor may even submit that Pike did what he did for their wrecker, and the evidence will appear back him up! The jury will side with Ray and Irwin.

I used to work for a law firm, and after hearing the Lawyers talk about the goings on in court, and having sat in of parts of trials, I know that image can trump facts. I guess I do have a jaundiced view of the legal system.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I say another word, David, I want to make sure you're having as much fun debating all this as I am! Very Happy

If you aren't, I'll shut my big mouth immediately so I won't offend a valuable and respected member of All Sci-Fi. Sad

If you'd rather we not continue, you don't even have to say anything on this thread. Just send me a PM and I'll certainly respect your wishes.

However, if you feel I'm presenting my dissenting opinions with sufficient respect (and in an entertaining manner), I'd love to continue this enjoyable discussion. You can surmise two things from the outrageous length of my replies.

(A) I'm having a ball pondering the ideas you propose, and (B) I've got WAY too much free time . . . and no girl friend Rolling Eyes

So, let's get started. Concerning you're recent posts:

Interesting points, councilor. I can't honestly say I'm convinced that any of the folks who literally hitched a ride with Pike could be charged with being accessories to a crime he committed without their help or even their knowledge.

And I can't quite agree with this statement, either.

Krel wrote:
I'm not saying they wouldn't get off on that charge, but they are going to have to prove their innocence. And the Prosecutor will make that very difficult for them.

As we both know, the accused is innocent until proven guilty. It's the prosecutor's duty to prove they DID know the truck was stolen — not the accused's duty to prove they did not.

By the way, your comment below shows me that I wasn't clear when I described my mischievous Bus Caper.

Krel wrote:
Actually, you would not only be charged with the theft of the bus, but also fifty counts of kidnapping. There is a difference between stealing a bus loaded with passengers, picking up more and willingly getting on a stolen vehicle, even if you didn't know it was stolen.

I should have stated clearly that I stole an empty bus from the Transit Authority's parking lot and I just "snuck it into the route" between two buses running on the regular schedule. I didn't throw a driver off his own bus, or anything like that.

My apologies for not making that clear. Embarassed

The important difference, of course, is that if I steal an empty bus and drive the regular route, picking up passengers who board voluntarily, and dropping them off exactly the way the regular driver would, that in no way could be considered kidnapping.

For our mutual edification, here's the definition of kidnapping.

The action of abducting someone and holding them captive.

Since none of the passengers were "abducted" or "being held captive", obviously it wouldn't be kidnapping.

David, with your permission I'd like to take another crack at resolving this dispute about whether a passenger in a stolen car could (without even knowing it) automatically be considered a criminal.

I found info on line that shows that I was mistaken to think that the two ladies would be completely innocent if Jonathan pulled up to them on the road and said, "Okay, get in . . . but be aware that I stole this truck."

As it turns out, if they knew for certain the truck was stolen, they could indeed be charged with a crime.

But in the interest of fairness, that didn't happened. And the loudmouth ravings of Mrs. Marcus (based solely on her nasty, negative nature) when she said, "I'll bet you stole this truck!" just doesn't have the same weight as Pike admitted the truck was stolen. After all, she constantly insulted Jonathan with statements like, "This is all your fault, you big stupid idiot!"

Here's what I got when I Googled the question, "Is it against the law to accept a ride in a stolen car?"

A passenger in a stolen car could be convicted of theft if there is evidence that the passenger exercised some control over the car AND knew that it was stolen.

David, I certainly respect the knowledge you gained while working at a law firm, and I envy you for having that experience. That's pretty cool. I should mention that I have a certain amount of legal expertise as well! I own the box set of the entire Perry Mason series, and I've watched them all — some of them twice! Shocked

Okay, so that's not as impressive as your exposure to real lawyers at work, but I do love it when Hamilton Burger tells the judge that Perry's question was "Incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial!" Very Happy

I promise I won't get THAT nasty, but I feel I should point out that your focusing on some elements of this case while ignoring others.

Fox example. you seem to feel that the small size of the two men will make the jury view them as innocent, while Jonathan's larger size will make the jury view him as guilty. But you keep ignoring the criminal actions the two guys took against Jonathan before the big fight even started.

They knocked him unconscious, carried him inside, tied him to a chair, and threatened to strike him with that big honkin' wrench while he still restrained!

~ Exhibit A: big honkin' wrench.

Arnold Stang actually tried to club him in the scene shown above, but he missed and hit Marvin Kaplan's arm, causing Marvin to shout, 'My arm! You broke my arm!" (Arnold didn't, course.) But obviously it was a powerful swing and it might have given Pike a concussion! Sad

And Jonathan was still taped to the chair (even though he was able to stand up), so Arnold's attack was completely unwarranted.

Another statement you made that seems to exhibit a certain amount of prejudice is this one.

District Attorney Krel wrote:
I took the Cop's comments to be amazement on the beating Ray and Irwin were taking without fleeing for their lives. Pike could have left, but he decided to pursue the two owners, AND destroy their business.

Yes, the cops were amazed that Ray and Irwin didn't run away. As you said, Pike could have left. But so could the two men!

Both parties chose to fight. And even though Pike was stronger, the two little guys were equally aggressive, and when the watching cops saw them pick up the car axle and try to ram Jonathan, they even said, "Holy Mackerel! They're coming back for more!"

My point is, they repeatedly provoked Pike by throwing objects at him and attacking him with things like bottles, a large wrench, and a sledge hammer!

Remember, before the fight actually started, when Jonathan broke the chair so he could move around, he calmly looks at the two men and says:

"Now fellas, if you keep this up, I'm gonna get sore."

But while Jonathan is looking at Arnold, Marvin raises a bottle behind Jonathan and breaks it over his head! Shameful behavior, right? Shocked

Stunned and upset, Jonathan turns slowly to look at Marvin with a hurt expression . . . and Arnold smashes another bottle over his head!

Although I'm not defending Jonathan's actions during the fight, it would seem that what he experienced before the fight would qualify as provocation — which is define this way.

In criminal law, provocation is a possible defense by excuse or exculpation alleging a sudden or temporary loss of control as a response to another's provocative conduct, sufficient to justify an acquittal, a mitigated sentence or a conviction for a lesser charge.

Anyway, I hope we've reached a consensus on the subject of accessories after the fact. The gray area is whether or not the courts will decide that the ladies had sufficient reason to be certain the truck was stolen.

As for the scene shown below —

— the folks who later joined Jonathan and the ladies had no way of knowing where the truck came from, and their attorney's could argue that they had no reason to believe the trunk wasn't borrowed or rented.

However, while making that screen shot I noticed how recklessly Dick Shawn was driving (he ignored a stop sign, blasted through an intersection, and caused several cars to screech to halt after spinning out), which means I have to amend my defense of Dick's previous driving by saying that he was rushing to his mother's rescue.

So, reluctantly I must admit that Dick is definitely on the list of folks who will face serious charges — probably more serious than the drivers of the original four vehicle in the early part of the movie.

And just to end things on a humorous note, won't it be funny when the D.A. puts Mrs. Marcus on the stand and says, "Mrs. Marcus, did you know that Mr. Pike stole that wrecker?"

"Of course I did! Do you think I'm stupid? We all did!"

"Hmmm. I see. So, your son Sylvester knew as well?"

"Yes! Yes, of course. I just told you we all knew."

"Interesting. And your son drove the stolen trunk to Santa Rosita, right?"

"Sure. So? Hey, just what are getting at?"

"If your son drove a truck he knew was stolen . . . he's guilty of being an accessory after the fact. He'll be charged with that."

"What? Oh my God . . . " Mrs. Marcus looks over at Sylvester, a smoldering look in her eye. Then she shouts, "Just like your father! A big, stupid, muscle-headed moron!"

(Hot damn, I'm having so much FUN with this discussion, David! Very Happy )

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto had Don Knotts automobile,period. Meyer will be charged with grand theft auto since I assume DK can prove it is his car & Otto took it without permission.

And if Otto saying he was a agent of the C.I.A. is not illegal, the fact that he did it in order to steal the car will go over with the jury like a lead balloon.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
As we both know, the accused is innocent until proven guilty. It's the prosecutor's duty to prove they DID know the truck was stolen — not the accused's duty to prove they did not.

While we know this is figiturely true it is not literly so. The argumentative nature of our law "presumes" the innocence of the accused and the bulk of the prosocuters job is to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that the accused is guilty of the charge as specified by law.

In order to do this the defendant has to refute or contradict the charges through evidence and testimony ...In other words defend himself or instill doubt against the charges.

If the prosocuter presents evidence and testimony of a violation of law or statute that is NOT refuted by the accused rest assure he WILL be found guilty!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Hot damn, I'm having so much FUN with this discussion, David!

Hmmm . . . it appears I was alone in that regard. The idea, guys, was to use a little imagination and have some fun.

Oh well, I guess it was a bad idea.
Sad
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, if I gave you the impression that you have offended me, or that I am not enjoying the discussion, than I am sorry. I am very much enjoying the discussion and am having fun. I admit that my views are colored by what I have heard.

Unfortunately there is a difference between how things should work, and how they actually does work.

In the bus situation, when you are caught, if there are any passengers, then it is considered kidnapping, even though they entered the bus willingly, and none were threatened. It may not be right, but the D.A.s office is going to pile on the charges.

I know I keep saying it, but IMAGE IS EVERYTHING IN COURT. Lawyers try to manage everything they can, they avoid certain colors, manners of dress, how things are arranged, etc.. The image of the large Pike, verses the smaller Ray and Irwin IS going to influence the jury, and not in Pike's favor. Plus, no matter what they did, Pike destroyed their business, and attacked them when he could have left. The Prosecutor will play up that they were not just defending their business, but their very lives! As I said, the Prosecutor will probably say that Pike attacked them for their wrecker.

"— the folks who later joined Jonathan and the ladies had no way of knowing where the truck came from, and their attorney's could argue that they had no reason to believe the trunk wasn't borrowed or rented".

The Prosecutor will argue just as hard that they DID know, or at least have to have had suspicions. Given all that was going on, their Lawyers will have a hard time proving other wise.

Given the swath of destruction they left in their wake, the law is going to go after them hard.

We forgot all the destruction at the end. The Firetruck, all the damage to the businesses around the square.

I am enjoying your viewpoint, and I am having fun.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David. You didn't give any indication that I offended you. Very Happy

I was just discouraging by the fact that I hadn't manage to offer a single convincing argument which the defense attornies (the fictional ones who would appear in this wacky sequel) could use to sway the jury in favor of the defendants. Shocked

It seemed like you were talking the subject just a bit too seriously. Remember, I suggested this idea as a sequel to Mad 4 World. I envisioned clever lawyers distorting the legal situation the same way the clever screenwriters did to reality in the original movie.

I guess I over-reacted to the fact that I kept hoping you and the other guys would join me in thinking like the defense attornies rather the prosecuting attornies. It's pretty obvious that the whole group should be charged with various crimes, but in all court cases the situation is complicated — just as you pointed out! Very Happy

Hell, sending them all to prison is easy!

But finding ways to reduce the sentences by pointing out the gray areas is more fun!

The challenge I tried to present was to balance the strong cases against the fortune hunters by pointing out actual extenuating circumstances and corroborating evidence that happened to be in their favor!

Remember, this whole crazy movie is based on the ridiculous idea that the Santa Rosita police thought they had to follow the fortune hunters to the loot — no matter how many laws they broke, and no matter how much destruction they cause, instead of just bringing them all in and saying —

"The buried money is from a payroll robbery. Tell use what Smiler Grogan said or you'll all be booked for withholding evidence."

Case closed. Movie over. World not mad after all.

But I guess I kinda struck out, so maybe I just find something new and imaginative to rant about. Cool

Unless maybe you'd like to help me list all the laws the police broke! Shocked

Like the fact that two officers hide across the road and watched Jonathan, Arnold, and Marvin attack each for 20 minutes and never lifted a finger to stop it!

Or the way the cops just watched Dick Shawn drive so fast his car sailed five feet off the road.

And they allowed Sid and Edie to stay trapped in the hardware store basement for hours, knowing they were damaging the building and destroying the merchandise.

The cops also watched reckless driving by Dick Shawn when he chased Terry-Thomas, running cars off the road along the way.

Ditto for the early scene when the four vehicles raced along the mountain road, we see at least one car going the other way which is forced off the road and into a ditch! And in the extended version there's scene soon after that where all for cars blast through a small town, endangering motorists, pedestrians, and private property.

It's just seems to me that it's pretty hypocritical for the police to charge these people for all the crimes they committed right in front of them . . . after watching it all happen and making no effort to stop it.

"To serve and protect" is a popular motto of law enforcement agencies all over the country. But the Santa Rosita police and all the agencies who assisted them during the movie just ignored they're duty to the public while they implemented their idiotic strategy to find the buried loot by giving the fortune hunters free reign to breaking dozens of laws!

After doing that, THEN the police throw the book at these people by charging them with every crime they committed in plain sight of the cops, with no interference whatsoever! Shocked

How 'bout this for a sequel? The defense attornies introduce all the evidence I've described in my earlier, but it becomes increasing obvious (based on the jury's reaction) that the fortune hunters are still going to jail . . . but then one of the lawyers informs the judge about everything I just described . . . and the judge throws all the cases out because of all the legal errors made by the cops!

I'm sure we've all seen cases in which guilty people go Scott free because of technicalities, right?

Again . . . the defense rest. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud you're right. As I look at it, I have been taking it too seriously, not in the broad comedy way you have.

Guess I am being a little bit dense.

But that doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed your musings on the defense attorneys, I have very much enjoyed them.

Imagine the time the defense attorneys will have with the different Police Departments actions in this. They could really spin this in their client's favor.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, Krel, but I made my post above and then thought of something I wanted to add quickly . . . but it took much longer than I'd planned! Shocked

Please read my post again to see what I added after you posted your reply. Notice that your reply addresses the very idea that I came up with and added comments about, without realizing you had already come up with a similar idea! Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, David, I just realized what we've done! We've come up with the perfect climax to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Trial!_Shocked

Picture this!

The D.A. is a brilliant, highly respected prosecutor who has never lost a case in his entire career! And after he reviews all the evidence against the Fortune Hunter 14 (the name the press gives them) he's confident that he'll get the maximum sentences for every one of them — including several charges that his assistant D.A. and his ambitious legal staff want to pin on the poor ladies!

This guy is like Hamilton Burger (only not nearly as likable), an iron fisted legal juggernaut who feels no sympathy for any of the defendants, along with complete contempt for all the lawyers they've hired to defend them.

Let's give this character a name. Let's call him District Attorney Sinclair Reynolds.

However, the kindly old judge understands that all these people were seduced by the lure of the buried money, which clouded their judgement so completely that they made one poor decision after another.

The gentlemen on the bench is Judge Frederick Madison, whose reputation for both fairness and mercy rivals that of God Himself! Very Happy

______

And so the trial begins, with District Attorney Reynolds presenting an airtight case against each of the defendants which dazzle the jury and spells doom for the Fortune Hunter 14. And when he finally concludes his arguments and smiles smugly while he says —

"Your honor . . . ladies and gentlemen of the jury . . . the prosecution rests,"

— we can practically hear the cell doors slam on the poor defendants. Sad

What follows is a desperate but impassioned series of defense strategies which visibly erode the prior negative opinions of the jurors concerning the guilt of the poor defendants. It's a roller coaster ride of shifting opinions as we see their sympathies yo-yo up and down!

But it seems obvious to all the spectators in the courtroom that the heroic efforts of their attorneys just aren’t going to be enough. The publicity surrounding the case has poisoned the public against these greedy people, and the jury will probably send them all to jail for many years.

Things look black for these poor people because of their misguided attempt to make off with a fortune in stolen money. Sad

But after the defense team exhaust every strategy they've come up with and it seems like all is lost, the youngest lawyer of the group — the guy who started out with little confidence and then slowly honed his courtroom skills while watching his learned colleagues — suddenly realizes that the key to winning the case for the defendants does NOT rely on proving they're all innocent.

It relies on proving the that police department is guilty! Shocked

I think we should give this fledgling young "Legal Eaglet" the auspicious name of . . . William Lincoln, whom everyone calls Billy (naturally). This young fellow stuns the courtroom when he suddenly stands up and announces the name of the next witness for the defense.

He tells the bailiff to summon . . . District Attorney Sinclair Reynolds! Shocked

Once Billy gets D.A. Reynolds on the stand and under oath, he proceeds to grill the man about the actions of the Santa Rosita police department and all other state law enforcement agencies who assisted them, focusing on the questionable legality of the actions taken by numerous police officers — including (but not limited to) the following:

~ Watching four cars speed down a mountain road and right through a small town with reckless abandon.

~ Allowing these cars and several others to race around the state in a manner which frequently endangered public safety!

~ Permitting two people to remain trapped in a hardware store basement for several hours and making no effort to assist them or to prevent the extensive damage they did to the building and the store's inventory.

~ Physically restraining the owner of the property when he attempted to release the couple, and to stop them from escaping after they did so much damage!

~ Instructing two police officers hidden near a gas station to take no action when Otto Meyer was assaulted by Mr. Pike.

~ Preventing those same officers from intervening when Ray and Irwin rendered Mr. Pike unconscious, tied him up, and assaulted him.

~ Prohibiting the two police officers from intervening during the protracted altercation between Mr. Pike, Ray, and Irwin.

~ Observing the complete destruction of a reputable roadside business less than one week after it opened . . . and yet making no effort to protect it.

~ Witnessing the theft of a truck without attempting to prevent it.

~ Failing to follow standard police procedures by allowing Captain Culpepper to be the only officer on the scene when fourteen wanted individuals unearth $350,000 in stolen payroll money.

~ Failing to take proper precautions to safeguard the stolen money, which resulted in the loss of 98% of the $350,000.

Imagine the increasingly horrified look on the face of District Attorney Sinclair Reynolds while Young Mr. Lincoln slowly forces him to realizes that various state agencies actually committed almost as many crimes as the Fortune Hunter 14 did! Shocked

Meanwhile, the noble and fair-minded Judge Frederick Madison watches all this and faintly smiles as he realizes the inflexible Mr. Reynolds is finally getting a much-needed lesson in both humanity and humility after spending years being slavishly committed to the rule of law, while ignoring the tender side of human compassion.

As a result of all these glaring illegalities, the judge is forced to throw the case out of court. His ruling includes this statement.

If the police can flagrantly disregard the rule of law, turning a blind eye to countless crimes they witnessed and make no effort to prevent, I would be remiss in my duties as an officer of the court if I ignored the numerous laws the authorities clearly disregarded for their own purposes, and then attempted to hold these citizens strictly accountable for the own actions.

The staggering abundance of legal technicalities and gross mismanagement by the law enforcement agencies connected with this case will prevent any court of law from reaching a fair and unbiased ruling for any of the accused.

I'm declaring these proceeds to be a mistrial.

Normally this would mean that a new trial would be scheduled, and the defendants would be remanded into custody. But in view of the poor way this investigation was handled and the multiple infractions by the authorities involved, the entire case should be dismissed and the defendants acquitted of all charges.

~ Judge Frederick Madison - United States District Court for the Central District of California

David, I think we’ve created the perfect sequel to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. It's a shame that we couldn't have presented this to Stanley Kramer back in 1964 so he could follow up his great movie with —

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've already read the post above, please read it again (especially the last part), because I've made some brilliant additions — new information that will elevate you're appreciation for the post!

It will also illuminate your perceptions, crystallize your thinking, expand your intellect, and give you a heightened appreciation for the years I spent acquiring a college education that makes it possible for me to write neat stuff like this! Cool

It will also lower your stress levels, normalize your blood pressure, equalize your blood sugar, raise your good cholesterol, and lower your bad cholesterol (not that any of us really knows the difference . . . Rolling Eyes)

Admit it, folks, where else but on All Sci-Fi could you get a deal like that? And it comes with a "money back guarantee"? Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an intriguing new thought for my fellow Mad 4 World fans!

We know from the extended version of this movie that most (if not all) of the big fight at Ray and Irwin's Garage was observed by two police officers who were hidden right across the road from the garage.

But I reviewed that whole scene this evening to find out just when the patrol car might have been capable of actually pulling up across the road and hiding behind the sand dune without being spotted by Ray, Irwin, or Mr. Pike, prior to the start of the events which followed! Confused

I realize this is a classic comedy which makes no attempt to adhere to reality, but its fun to see if we can find a moment when the two cops and their patrol car could have snuck up on the service station and hidden behind the sand dune so the two officers could watch the whole event from a front row seat! Very Happy

My guess would that the cops arrived after Otto Meyer left, but not long after Ray and Irwin carried the unconscious Mr. Pike into the station and tied him up. That would fit with the fact that we know the officers observed this scene, several minutes later.

That would give the officers time to get into position and witness most of the fight which took place after Mr. Pike revived and was assaulted by the two men, who assumed he was the dangerous psychopath Phil Silvers convinced the two men that Jonathan was!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud please forgive me if I missed this in your earlier posts, but don't forget behind the scenes with the Defense team, they should mirror their clients:

One is hyperactive and reactive, Sid Adams.

One is soft spoken, large and moves carefully, trying to be the calm one, until he is not, Johnathan Mazurki.

One is a nervous wreck always taking pills, MIlton Provine.

One is sarcastic and argumentative, Mickey Hacket.

One is sneaky, weaselly ambulance chaser type, Phil Bilko.

The female member of the team, Ethel Shawn, big, loud, pushy and always talking about her son.

The head of the defense team is a brilliant respected attorney who has taken the case pro bono because of Culpepper's record, but as the trial is coming to a head, his family life starts falling apart because of the trial*, Spencer Diamond.

Until the trial, they get along about as well as the Fortune 14 did. Always arguing and jockeying for lead position, one upping each other while Spencer Diamond tries to keep them focused as his life falls apart.

So, what do you think of my idea for the legal team.

*Actually that's pretty real word, but it should still be funny.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, but the concept is a bit confusing, and the way you crowded the text together makes it difficult to decipher. Sad

For example, I'm not familiar with the term "mirror the clients" and how that would help a defense team.

And you've combined the names of various characters in a manner that muddies the waters a bit.

Could you perhaps revise the post to make it easier to understand? You're obviously onto something, but I need help following the concept.

It would help if you'd just hit the edit button and revise the post somewhat.

Thanks! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to decipher....

One is hyperactive and reactive, Sid Caesar / Edie Adams.

One is soft spoken, large and moves carefully, trying to be the calm one, until he is not, Johnathan Winters / Paul Mazurki.

One is a nervous wreck always taking pills, Milton Berle / Dorothy Provine.

One is sarcastic and argumentative, Mickey Rooney / Buddy Hacket.

One is sneaky, weaselly ambulance chaser type, Phil Silvers AKA Ernie Bilko.

The female member of the team, Ethel Merman / Dick Shawn, big, loud, pushy and always talking about her son.

By "mirror" I would think Krel means that the attorney defending them could be of the same temperament.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: