ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost And Forgotten TV Shows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Lost And Forgotten TV Shows Reply with quote

At John Kenneth Muir's Reflections on Cult Movies and Classic TVhttp://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-09-15T06:30:00-04:00&max-results=10&start=7&by-date=false — just after the 50th anniversary salute of the debut of Lost In Space (CBS 1965 - 1968) the is an article about TV series from the late 1950s to 2000 that haven't seen the light of day since they were first aired. Are there any others you can think of? Each would make a good thread.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, your link goes to a search results page and after tediously searching through it I don't find a post like your reference. It's always best to link to a blog posts "permalink" page-- the final page you get when you click the title. Can you dig that one up for us?
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.com

This takes you to the main page. Just scroll down.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that as a no. I don't find the article you referred to and I'm pretty good at this sort of thing. Maybe it will turn up again sometime.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is the post (though I've not copied most of the background part, to concentrate on the actual list):

Monday, September 14, 2015

Ask JKM a Question: What Else is Out There?

Here's a list of some series -- the ones that I could think of off the top of my head -- that have not received a full series release, via streaming or DVD/Blu Ray.

One Step Beyond (1959 - 1961) (Only the first season has been released by CBS).

The Green Hornet (1966-1967)

The Immortal (1971)

The Sixth Sense (1972)

The Evil Touch (1973)

The Fantastic Journey (1977)

Lucan (1977 - 1978)

Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected (1977)

The Next Step Beyond (1978)

Project UFO (1978-1979)

Cliffhangers (1979)

Salvage 1 (1979)

Supertrain (1979)

Automan (1983)

Manimal (1983)

Otherworld (1985)

Once A Hero (1987)

Werewolf (1987)

Freddy's Nightmares (1988 - 1989)

Something is Out There (1988)

Hard Time on Planet Earth (1989)

The Burning Zone (1997)

Sleepwalkers (1997)

Prey (1998)

Brimstone (1999)

G vs. E (1999)

Strange World (1999)

The Others (2000)

Freakylinks (2000)

Of all those series, I'm most interested in official releases of The Evil Touch (1973) -- an Australian horror anthology with American guest stars like Darren McGavin -- The Fantastic Journey, Otherworld, Werewolf , Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected, Project UFO, and Cliffhangers.

These are all series I remember from my youth, and would like very much to see again, with clear pictures and no commercial breaks.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember The Green Hornet, which featured Bruce Lee as Kato, a supporting role. This was before Bruce and kung fu had become household words. But as we watched each week it became evident that there was something remarkable going on when Kato got into a fight.

WayneO
-----------
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be surprising that The Green Hornet hasn't seen a video release. Someone's lost a whole lot of money since the advent of home video by not having it on the market, for sure.

I watched a number of the shows on that list. Most are probably deservedly obscure. Someone should really release Salvage 1 sometime. I kind of liked the '80s Werewolf series with Chuck Conners, who always seemed to have sort of wolfish features to me.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Green Hornet tv show, back when Kung Fu was known as Gung Fu. I really expected the show to be released on dvd when the craptacular movie came out. It may have some of the same problems that the Batman tv show had, with the ownership spread out among several parties.

Salvage 1 was a show that got good ratings for the first season. Then for some reason they decided to change the show for the second season, changing the cast and premise. That is rarely a good move for a show, and rarely is successful.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Here's a list of some series -- the ones that I could think of off the top of my head -- that have not received a full series release, via streaming or DVD/Blu Ray.

Custer, old bean, if that list is "off the top of your head" then by head is plum empty by comparison. Like, wow . . .

And my empty head also doesn't even remember most of those shows. That's the bad news. The good news is that I can discover them with fresh eyes when they finally do come out on video, unburdened by fond memories which the shows might not live up to.

Anyway, thanks to one and all for this interesting discussion!

Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was JKM's head rather than mine, I was quoting his blog post as some people were having difficulty tracking it down - and it's useful to have the full list here, right?

There are lots of shows on that list that I've never heard of at all. Automan I do remember watching - with Desi Arnaz Jr, yet! Smile
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I read past the first part of your post with the list too quickly, and I misunderstood whose head seemed to be filled with the names of old TV shows! Embarassed

Thanks for the correction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: