ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R. I. P., Monkey-boy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: R. I. P., Monkey-boy Reply with quote

The Monkees bassist Peter Tork has died at the age of 77.

The Monkees' Peter Tork Dead at 77

Word of Tork’s passing was confirmed on his official Facebook page. A cause of death was not disclosed, though Tork was previously diagnosed with a rare form of cancer back in 2009.

The Monkees were a teen-pop sensation when they burst onto the scene in the 1960s, and viewed as America’s answer to The Beatles. The group spawned multiple hit singles (including “Last Train to Clarksville” and “I’m a Believer” and “Daydream Believer”) and a self-titled NBC sitcom, which produced 58 episodes during its two-season run. Tork split from the group shortly after their critically derided 1968 release Head.

Tork struggled with alcoholism for much of the 1970s. He also attempted to launch his own group, Release. He rejoined The Monkees in the 1980s and took part in multiple reunion tours. He also pursued a career as a solo artist.

In 1995, Tork was cast in the recurring role of Jedediah Lawrence, father of Topanga, on ABC’s Boy Meets World. He guest-starred alongside Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz in the Season 3 episode Rave On.

Tork’s additional TV credits included episodes of The King of Queens, 7th Heaven and California Dreams.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you will about the so-called "Pre-Fab Four" (a term the press invented as a critical variation on the "Fab Four" description of The Beatles, referring to the fact that The Monkees were "prefabricated" rather than "fabulous), but those guys had some very nice hit tunes, and I still hear them on PA system in my local Publix grocery store. I'm sure that the Serius XM station that features rock 'n roll from the 1960s plays them fairly often, too.

Here's the snappy title theme from their amusing series. Fortunately the other three members of the legendary group as still with us.

_________ The Monkees - Opening Theme (H.Q)

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Fortunately the other three members of the legendary group as still with us.

Actually Davy Jones died in 2012. So we are left with two Monkees now.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I Googled "Which of the Monkees are still alive?" and got this answer, which I glanced at too hastily and misread.

Which Members of the Monkees Are Still Alive? Getty Peter Tork. Micky Dolenz, and Michael Nesmith. Peter Tork has passed away. 6 hours ago

The odd way Peter Tork's name is listed twice and Davy Jones is omitted didn't catch my attention like it should have.
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: