ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shatterhand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Shatterhand Reply with quote

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/bond-25-title-shatterhand-meaning-blofeld-1202045949/

(Shatterhand was an alias for supervillain Ernst Stavro Blofeld in Ian Fleming's "You Only Live Twice" novel.)

The movie world is abuzz now that Bond 25 reportedly has a working title: Shatterhand. The title was first spotted by The Guardian in the industry publication Production Weekly, which also reports the movie will begin production at Britain’s legendary Pinewood studios on April 6. While film journalists are already starting to drag how foolish “Shatterhand” sounds, the title is not as random as it appears.

In Ian Fleming’s 12th Bond novel You Only Live Twice, released in 1964, Dr. Guntram Shatterhand is the alias used by the villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld. The novel culminates in a duel between Bond and Blofeld that ends with an enraged 007 strangling the villain to death with his bare hands. You Only Live Twice was already adapted into a James Bond movie, the 1967 Sean Connery entry directed by Lewis Gilbert, so it’s unlikely Bond 25 will use the source material — though Roald Dahl’s screenplay for that film kept very little of what Ian Fleming had written in the novel. What Shatterhand as a title most likely means is the return of Blofeld.

Christoph Waltz starred as Blofeld in the last Bond outing, Spectre, which ended with the villain still alive and being taken into custody by MI6. The Bond films starring Daniel Craig have been the most serialized entries to date, so it’s not too far fetched to believe Bond 25 will continue the story of 007 vs. Blofeld since both characters remain at war with each other. Léa Seydoux’s Spectre character Dr. Madeleine Swann is returning for the new film as well, which strongly suggests threads from Spectre will spill over into Bond 25.

Whether or not Waltz returns as Blofeld would also not be an issue, as the villain has worn many faces throughout the Bond film franchise. Donald Pleasence played the first fully-visible movie Blofeld in You Only Live Twice (the character was heard but only his hands were seen as he stroked his white cat) but actors Telly Savalas, Charles Gray, and Waltz all played the villain in subsequent 007 movies. (Max von Sydow also played Blofeld in the unofficial spinoff Never Say Never Again.) In the Connery-era Bond movies, Blofeld would get plastic surgery to change his appearance and evade capture.

While the working title for Bond 25 is reportedly Shatterhand, it should be stressed this is just a working title. Films often get theatrical releases with different titles (see working title Woodcock becoming Phantom Thread as an example), and it’s not uncommon for working titles on major franchise films to be used as misdirection (see Red Cup becoming Solo: A Star Wars Story).

Bond 25 will star Daniel Craig in his last outing as 007. The film is being directed by Cary Fukunaga, and it’s release date was recently pushed back from February 14 to April 8, 2020. It will be distributed in the U.S. by United Artists Releasing, a joint venture of MGM and Annapurna Pictures. At press time, a representative for Annapurna had not replied to IndieWire’s request for comment about the title.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other threads I've expressed my lack of enthusiasm of the Danial Craig Bond films, so I won't repeat any of that here, but I will say that the ones I've watched always had their good moments.

But that is a very well written article, Eadie, and we all appreciate your sharing it with us.

My goodness . . . all this typing his made my mouth dry. Bartender? My usual, please. Cool

~ The Space Children (1958)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: