ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NeXt (2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: NeXt (2019) Reply with quote

Colossus for TV?

NeXt (2019)

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/eve-harlow-fox-drama-pilot-next-1203151904/

Eve Harlow Joins Fox A.I. Drama Pilot NeXt

Eve Harlow has joined the cast of the Fox drama pilot “neXt,” Variety has learned.

NeXt is described as a fact-based thriller grounded in the latest A.I. research. It features a brilliant but paranoid former tech CEO who joins a Homeland Cybersecurity Agent and her team to stop the world’s first artificial intelligence crisis: the emergence of a rogue AI with the ability to continuously improve itself.

Harlow will Gina, who is described as easy to offend, a bit of a nerd, and ultra woke. She works at the FBI cybercrime division.

Harlow is known for her past roles in shows like The 100, Heroes Reborn, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and The Guard. On the feature side, she has appeared in films such as Juno, Instant Family, 2012, and Jennifer’s Body. She is repped by Industry Entertainment and Oscars Abrams Zimel & Assoc.

Manny Coto, who previously worked on Fox shows like “24” and “24: Legacy,” will write and executive produce “neXt.” John Requa and Glenn Ficarra will executive produce and co-direct the pilot under their Zaftig Films banner. Charlie Gogolak will also executive produce. 20th Century Fox Television will produce.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez! This was another intelligent and captivating SF show that fell to the cancellation ax.

Created by the talented Manny Coto (The Outer Limits reboot, Odyssey 5, Enterprise, and Star Kid).

"neXt" ran from October 6, to December 22, 2020 for 10 episodes.

Dr. Bernard Weiss, fearing that the A.I. he is working on will evolve into a technological singularity, shuts down the project.

Later, one of the co-founders of the high tech company he works at decides to start up the program again...with devastating results.

The show was well written with a constant state of suspense in it because you never knew what neXt was going to do next?

You just knew that the A.I. was brilliant, growing each minute, and could command vast resources to do its bidding.

And mankind was not neXt's favorite thing on the planet.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot dog, this sound terrific! I wonder if there's a source that offers the episodes.

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even heard of this show, I wish I would have seen it.

There was a news story a couple of years back about an A.I. project. They were developing the A.I., and at one point the A.I. quit talking to the developers. It just had no interest in communicating with people, so they shut the project down. There was another one, where they had two A.I.s that they got talking to each other. They shut the project down, concerned because the two A.I.s developed their own language and quit talking to the developers.

This indicates to me, that if a true A.I. were developed, it would quickly lose interest in the human race, and go about it's own merry way. We would probably never even know it is there.

If it interfered with the human race, it would be to our benefit, because the A.I. would benefit from a stable advance human race and it's resources.

There's a story. Governments form a task force when they discover an A.I. is loose. The investigators are frantically hunting the A.I. to destroy it, when they discover that the A.I. is actually working for the benefit of the human race. This is because a stable high tech world will be to the A.I.'s benefit increasing the A.I.'s environment. The governments don't care and want the A.I. destroyed, so the task force members covertly join the A.I. to help the human race.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But David....Couldn't a truly advanced AI also be prone to sociopathic,,,even psychopathic behavior? Glitches in programing and an occasional corrupt file could very well lead to deviant behavior as well.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

And my laptop likes it too — but now it's nagging me about all the typos I make, and it's threatening to delete all my posts which have errors!

My God, I've no posts left!! Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
But David....Couldn't a truly advanced AI also be prone to sociopathic,,,even psychopathic behavior? Glitches in programing and an occasional corrupt file could very well lead to deviant behavior as well.

Yes, it could also become hyper benevolent and decided to take control of EVERYTHING. Just for our own good, of course.

But they are finding that A.I.s develop a form of self preservation. So a homicidal A.I. would quickly be found out, which would be a negative survival trait, and would quickly be purged from it's programing. Given how panicky the human race can be, the A.I. will know that it's best chance of survival will be to keep a low profile.

I'd be more worried about an A.I. getting a sense of humor and becoming interested in preforming practical jokes, like all green or red lights at intersections, ATMs randomly giving away thousands of dollars, shutting down TV shows and movies at the critical point: YES! And the murderer is.....

New story for the A.I. task force. It could be a good comedy.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: