ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lassie (1954)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Lassie (1954) Reply with quote

Been watching some of the Lassie episodes on Youtube and enjoying them.

Prefer to view the later ones when Lassie was part of the forest service.

Scenery is wonderful as they went on a number of locations and were not as studio bound as the Jeff/Lassie and Timmy/Lassie episodes.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, what a blast from the past, Pow!

The videos below are of Lassie;s first episode from 1954, when Jeff inherits Lassie from a kindly neighbor who passed away.

The show wasn't called Lassie yet! It was called Jeff's Collie! In fact, Wikipedia says the first 116 episodes had that title.

Jeff Miller was played by Tommy Rettig for three years, and he was 13 when he started. I was just six, sitting in front of our first family TV set . . . probably the first week we even had it!

By the way, Tommy Retting stars with Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe in River of No Return, a damn good Western. I own the DVD. Very Happy

Jon Provost took over as Timmy Miller in the fourth season. Very Happy

"Ruff, ruff! Ruff, ruff, ruff!"

What's that, Lassie? You think other folks should reply to this thread?

"Ruff, ruff!"

I agree, girl! Now, go see if Jeff has fallen down the well again. I swear, that boy will never learn! Rolling Eyes

______ Lassie - Episode 1 - "Inheritance" - Part 1

______ Lassie - Episode 1 - "Inheritance" - Part 2

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common knowledge that Lassie has always been played by a male collie, but does anyone know why? From IMDb's Trivia page:

Quote:
All the Lassies were actually male dogs because female collies tend to "blow coat" (go through a massive hormone-induced shedding process) with each heat cycle. While males blow coat as well in reaction to a change in season, it is much less noticeable than what occurs with an intact female. By the time that spaying, which would reduce the dramatic shedding of the female, became commonplace, it had become tradition to use a male in the role. Additionally, it was believed that males, who often outweigh their female counterparts by as much as fifteen pounds, would look more impressive on film.

The Mad magazine parody, "TV's Wonder Dog, Lizzie," is posted here in its entirety.

Link: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/mort-drucker-mad-59-complete-5-page-story-tv-s-wonder-dog-lizzie-original-art-ec-1960-total-/a/7192-93078.s
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, many thanks to scotpens for finding that great Mad Magazine cartoon parody. Very Happy

I copied the jpegs to my jpeg file and then I cleaned up the discolored dialogue balloons, brightening the background of each one and removing those brown spots.

While doing so I realized what caused the spots, as well as the occasional dialog balloons that had no text. These are scans of Mort Druker's original artwork, and the text of the dialog was printed on pieces of paper, then cut out and glued to the artwork.

Over the years the glue turned brown and stained the paper the dialog was printed on. The blank balloons are the result of dialog strips that fell off the artwork, leaving the discolored glue that was beneath it.

I managed to find a scan of the magazine itself which had readable text (barely), and I copied the text that should have been in the empty dialog balloons.

You'll notice which jpegs below needed to have empty dialog balloons restored, because the text is blurry in those balloons. Very Happy

Each 700 pixel-wide jpeg below has an embedded link to the 2,000 pixel version, so that you can admire the remarkable detail of Mr. Druker's artwork!

Remember, you have to click on each image here, and then either zoom in as much you want OR click again to see the full sized imageVery Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ongoing joke people like to use is Timmy falls in a well and must be saved by Lassie.

Reality is no such episode ever existed with Timmy.

Years later when they had Lassie with forest ranger Corey, there is indeed an episode where Lassie falls into a shaft. Not technically a well but still...

It was a 3-part episode and the guest stars were Tony Dow & Jan Michael Vincent (who recently passed away) playing brothers.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I heard was that Jeff fell down the well, Lassie didn't get there in time, Timmy drowns, and Gramps was so upset he shot Lassie! Shocked

That's why Jeff was replaced by Timmy, and why there were several Lassies. A big Hollywood cover up, and a very sad situation . . . Crying or Very sad

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hilarious commercial that first aired during one of the Super Bowel Games some years back.

It's for a truck (don't recall which make) that keeps coming to a quaint looking home.
http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5445
It drives up to the house with its headlights flashing and horn honking, with no driver.

The man on the porch can decode just what the truck is saying, which is that Timmy is in some kind of trouble. This happens several times with Timmy in a different jam each time.

It was on Youtube & is worth viewing.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just typed in "Lassie parody truck commercial" and there it was. Very Happy

_ Chevy Lassie Truck - 2011 Super Bowl Commercials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: